Romney's Racist Ad

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Bad Romney is back! - PostPartisan - The Washington Post

One of the vast improvements of Mitt Romney’s current presidential campaign over his previous one has been its relative freedom from obvious, cringe-inducing pandering. Until now.

This new campaign video attacking Rick Perry on education benefits for undocumented immigrants represents the return of the bad old Romney.

No one imagines Romney to be an authentic, Tom Tancredo-like, anti-immigration politician. He defended George W. Bush’s 2005 comprehensive immigration reform against conservative charges of “amnesty.” He once said, “I don’t believe in rounding up 11 million people and forcing them at gunpoint from our country,” which qualifies him as an immigration moderate in some Republican circles.

But perhaps most disturbing is the tone of the Romney ad itself. It is not simply an issue-oriented contrast. It uses a statement praising Perry by former Mexican President Vincente Fox as though it were an endorsement by Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The last time I checked, Mexico was an important ally – a country that Romney, if elected president, would need to deal with daily. Fox’s words in the commercial are innocuous – simply thanking Texas and Perry for the education measure they had passed. So why is Fox’s statement supposed to be disturbing or sinister? Because Fox is a foreigner? Because he has a Mexican accent?

I'll go one further than Gerson.

The only way the GOP can win this election, is if they can peal away Hispanic votes from Obama. the only way the GOP survives as anything but a regional party is if it makes inroads with minorities overall.

And here's Romney, playing the race card.

Since Mexico and Canada are our number one oil providers I would say it isn't a mistake at all..without Mexico we couldn't drive our cars like we do.

mexico is an important ally?

Well, that's the mistake right there.

Why?

What is so alien about Mexicans that Romney should treat them like the enemy?

Now, I think Perry explained the policy badly. The courts have ruled that the states are required to educate the children of illegals, and the tuition policy is only an extention of that. I think using the "have no heart" statement was inept.

But the thing is, Romney was praising immigration reform as recently as 2005. Only when he started pandering to the Minuteman vote did he start pulling stuff like this.

And it's counter productive. Hispanics are currently the largest minority group in the country and they are a natural ally of the conservative movement- fiscally and socially conservative. But this kind of talk drives them into the Democrats camp for generations.

Since Mexico and Canada are our number one oil providers I would say it isn't a mistake at all..without Mexico we couldn't drive our cars like we do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXPPIXVkL80&feature=player_detailpage]Toby Keith Made in america (clear version) - YouTube[/ame]

Are Cain and Ginrich for Drill Baby Drill?

I think we should have more oil exploration, but that is only part of the problem.

As we speak, India and China are moving up to the same level of technology and energy usage as we are. And there is only a finite amount of petroleum in the world, some of it easy to get to (the Arab world) other requiring a bit more work.

Ironically, Drill baby Drill is only profitable when oil is expensive.

We need to be doing the research for 50-75 years down the road when there isn't any more petroleum.

Well, one of the damaging things about this is that Fox refers to the beneficiaries of this policy as "Mexican migrants", not as immigrants or even as residents of Texas. This creates the impression that the policy is almost something like foreign aid, rather than one aimed at people who will probably live in the US for some time.

Of course, the commercial is clearly designed to provoke a xenophobic reaction.

Nice to see Toby still milking the Bubbas for money.

Somehow, Full Auto, I doubt you supported the Auto Bailout, which kept cars being manufactured in this country.

Really? Did it? How can you prove that? You cant which makes the point assinine.

They should have declared bankruptcy................ What does that mean....

reorganization.

A quote of an opinion in the Wash. Post? Media Matters must be working overtime. What is racist? Criticism of Mexicans who are illegally in the US?

mexico is an important ally?

Well, that's the mistake right there.

Why?

What is so alien about Mexicans that Romney should treat them like the enemy?

Now, I think Perry explained the policy badly. The courts have ruled that the states are required to educate the children of illegals, and the tuition policy is only an extention of that. I think using the "have no heart" statement was inept.

But the thing is, Romney was praising immigration reform as recently as 2005. Only when he started pandering to the Minuteman vote did he start pulling stuff like this.

And it's counter productive. Hispanics are currently the largest minority group in the country and they are a natural ally of the conservative movement- fiscally and socially conservative. But this kind of talk drives them into the Democrats camp for generations.

We are required to give a K-12 education to the children here illegally. IF American citizens must pay out of state tuition then people here illegally should be required to do the same. After all, they are only here through a criminal act. IF you think that the tuition policy is nothing but an extension of the K-12 policy wouldn't logic dictate that this be applied to Americans as well as criminal aliens? Eliminate tuition completely. Free higher education for everyone. Get the professors to work for a salary based on that.

It isn't that mexico is so alien we must treat them as an enemy, it's that mexico is behaving like an enemy nation. On that basis, it should be treated as an enemy.

Somehow, Full Auto, I doubt you supported the Auto Bailout, which kept cars being manufactured in this country.

Really? Did it? How can you prove that? You cant which makes the point assinine.

reorganization.

Shhh. He doesn't know that GM moved much of their operations to China.

IF American citizens must pay out of state tuition then people here illegally should be required to do the same.

American citizens who are in state residents are not required to pay out of state tuition. They base requirements for in state tuition not on your citizenship, but on where you live and went to school..there is nothing unfair about that..for an American citizen to get in state tuition they only need to go to school in the state they live in.

reorganization.

Shhh. He doesn't know that GM moved much of their operations to China.

and Nissan and Toyota produce cars in the US...

Well, one of the damaging things about this is that Fox refers to the beneficiaries of this policy as "Mexican migrants", not as immigrants or even as residents of Texas. This creates the impression that the policy is almost something like foreign aid, rather than one aimed at people who will probably live in the US for some time.

Of course, the commercial is clearly designed to provoke a xenophobic reaction.

The only person I saw use the phrase 'Mexican migrants' was the President of Mexico.

reorganization.

Or more likely, going out of business. I work for a company that provided parts for GM, we knew if the bailout wasn't done, we were. This was the trickle effect, if GM went out of business, tons of other companies were going to have to downsize, too.

GM would have gone out of business if it weren't for the bailout. So would have Chrysler. Chrysler's been "Reorganized" several times in the past few decades, "reorganizing" doesn't cut it.

Forum List

Back