Roe v. Wade getting overturned!!

NFBW: In reference to Roe v Wade and I assume Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Meriweather wrote:

MeriW221001-#195 Regardless, it was an Unconstitutional Supreme Court ruling. The lawyer who argued the case agrees with that, said there was no way it should have passed.

NFBW: I don’t kniw where Meriweather git the idea that Ginsberg says Roe V Wade was unconstitutional.

FORtheRECORD Here is what Ginsberg said:

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg criticized the Roe v. Wade decision Saturday, stating that it overruled the democratic will by handing down a decision made by “unelected old men.”​
Speaking at the University of Chicago Law School, the 80 year-old justice said that the 1973 decision, together with Doe v. Bolton, which legalized abortion until the ninth month of pregnancy, was too overreaching. Ginsburg said it would have been her preference that the High Court struck down only the Texas law in question without a decision that affected other states.​
It According to The Salt Lake Tribune, Ginsburg indicated that the judicial mandate from the High Court down galvanized opposition to abortion and gave abortion opponents a symbol to target. This outcome reversed the trend toward liberalizing abortion laws throughout the country that prevailed until that time.​
“My criticism of Roe is that it seemed to have stopped the momentum that was on the side of change,” Ginsburg said. The justice indicated that the Supreme Court should have, instead, “put its stamp of approval on the side of change and let that change develop in the political process.”​
NFBW: Do you have the quote by Ginsberg Meriweather where she agrees Roe v Wade was unconstitutional?????

END2212210424

MeriW220204-#670 Meriweather “Life changing moments for President Biden: If he stood for pro-life, he might have had to give up his political life.”

NFBW: Biden is a Catholic serving a nation of people of all religions and thus serving every non-Catholics even those non-Catholics having no religion at all like your atheist husband and CarsomyrPlusSix . . . . .

To his credit Biden holds the Catholic belief that terminating a life in an unwanted pregnancy is wrong, immoral, a sin against God, but as President he cannot use the power of government to force any American to hold the Catholic belief that GOD-Given LIFE begins at conception.

Yes I say, GOD-Given LIFE as distinguished from biological life that exists in all mammals.

What separates “us” from the rest of all other mammals?

Please note I am referring to GOD-Given LIFE for a reason. And that is because as a Catholic you must agree with this Catholic:

Man has an immortal soul. . . . In his book, In the Beginning, Pope Benedict XVI affirms that the inner unity between faith and reason is reflected in the revealed story of creation and the scientific theory of evolution. Science can inform us about man’s development as a physical being, but alongside the discoveries of science the disciplines of theology and philosophy can tell us more about man: that he has an immortal soul infused by God.​
Therefore, man is a unity of body and spirit which makes him utterly distinct from the rest of creation. “Man is not merely an evolution but rather a revolution,” muses G.K. Chesterton.​
With this rational soul, man alone can know by his intellect, and love through his will. Unlike the animals, we can freely choose, and we can deliberate before choosing.​
Another difference is that human souls are incorruptible, which means they are immortal: death of the body is not the end for us. This potentiality to “share in God’s blessed life” for all of eternity sets us apart from animals (CCC 1).​
Made like God In the opening chapter of the Genesis, God says: “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness” (1:26). But what exactly is God like? And what are the particular attributes of God that we similarly possess?​
God is infinite and perfect. Therefore, to describe him we use words such as all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving. Although God thereby possesses power, knowledge, and love without limit, we too are able—by virtue of the spiritual powers of our will and intellect—to exercise power, obtain knowledge, and will the good of others, albeit to a finite degree. You can see these “likenesses” to God fully manifested in distinctly human activities such as artistic endeavors, academic pursuits, and charity work.​
But that’s not all. The opening to Genesis also introduces us to a theology of the body. The Church, especially through the teachings of Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul II, teaches us that in our bodies we possess the sexual makeup through which we can enter into free, total, faithful, and fruitful union with another. This nuptial love profoundly images the free, total, faithful, and fruitful relationship between the three eternal persons of the Blessed Trinity.​
Saved by God “Christian, recognize your dignity” commands the Catechism (1691). There is perhaps no better and direct way to recognize your dignity than by looking at a crucifix.​
“The life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” wrote St. Paul (Gal. 2:20). Just as God gave himself for Paul, so too did God suffer and die to save you. God desires for all men to be saved (1 Tim. 2:4); and along with God’s desire for all men to be saved is the desire inside every man and woman to be saved. As C.S. Lewis puts it, “He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, he would have done no less.”​
Christ’s death on the cross both proves and symbolizes our human worth in addition to God’s undying love for us. We are not only loved by God: we are redeemed by him. We are now free—with the necessary graces readily available—to fulfill God’s original plan for us: to “partake in his divine nature” and spend all of eternity perfected in the bliss of heaven.​

So do you disagree with any of that Meriweather ?????

END2212211004

Last edited:
Who were you talking about then?
I was young enough at the time the decision of Roe v Wade came down. Just out of a US government class; had baby sisters at home. I had two thoughts. The first was a shrug, because, after all, who would want to end a pregnancy/end a baby's life before it was born? The second was, Wow! When something is not specifically spoken of in the Constitution, the decision returns to the States, it is not decided by the Supreme Court. And I thought nothing more about it for several years.

So do you disagree with any of that @Meriweather
My question: How do you relate this to abortion? That topic wasn't on the minds of anyone when they wrote their piece.

It seems to me you wish to rationalize abortion? I don't feel a need to rationalize "Life is our greatest gift." It is simply my position. What's my position to you? Why do you care what I believe? You keep mentioning science. Shrug. Look up, "How human life begins...." You seem to want to dismiss the how and argue about the when, possibly dismissing the cells as life? Fine. That is your position, but it is not mine.

I agree with all the cons here. We need to do everything in our power to be more like Russia, Iran and Afghanistan. Womenh have too rights. A great deal of republican women also agree.

MeriW221221-#6,466 My question: How do you relate this to abortion?

NFBW: Because the solid universal belief among humans is that we are connected by something akin to a soul. Therefore your CATHOLIC religious BELIEF that a soul is not killed during miscarriage or abortion is a material fact to our discussion of human rights related to pregnancy and abortion.

Abortion being legal or not is related to the reality that a soul or spirit or some mysterious cosmic essence (even to an atheist) is what makes human beings special and godlike and having dominion over all other life, essentially when compared to primates who give birth in the same way.

This paper reports the mechanism of birth in chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) based on the first clear, close-up video recordings of three chimpanzee births in captivity. In all three cases, the foetus emerged with an occiput anteriororientation, and the head and body rotated after the head had emerged​

MeriW221217-#6,437 “Therefore, the closest Catholic teaching comes is that the body of the miscarried infant returns to the earth, while his/her soul returns to God. “

NFBW: The anti-abortion movement has conned people into believing women are carrying what “thou shall not kill” because the living human organism in the womb has the same special mystery of human essence that can conveniently be labeled as a “soul” for matters of discussion about aborting “GOD-GIVEN LIFE.

Is a fertilized egg in a human woman’s body infused with a soul that “thou shall not kill” Immediately upon conception or at birth or at some point of development in between . . . . I believe I argue correctly, rationally, scientifically and biologically that we mortal human beings simply ‘do not know.’

To answer your question, I cited the following hoping to glean a fresh and intellectually deeper interesting discussion with you Meriweather because you claim to be a science teacher and a Catholic whom I was told by ding that you
are articulate on both subjects.

NFBW221221-#6,464 Please note I am referring to GOD-Given LIFE for a reason. And that is because as a Catholic you must agree with this Catholic:​

Man has an immortal soul. . . . In his book, In the Beginning, Pope Benedict XVI affirms that the inner unity between faith and reason is reflected in the revealed story of creation and the scientific theory of evolution. Science can inform us about man’s development as a physical being, but alongside the discoveries of science the disciplines of theology and philosophy can tell us more about man: that he has an immortal soul infused by God.​

NFBW: So just as I, myself and whatever woman I have a sexual relationship with, and as one who opposes aborting any life of whom I personally am involved in creating, I have no way of forcing you to engage in a deeper discussion regarding what I also believe to be is every unbeknownst woman to me’s right to choose what to do with the living human organism, life, soul or whatever you and I choose to call it inside the privacy of her own body.

I do not believe we should elect politicians who wish to pass laws taking a private choice away from every unbeknownst woman to me based upon my personal morality because what happens inside a woman’s body harms no living member of the human race as far as we mortal humans are capable of knowing

The reality is that women are carrying a human life. Then it becomes a matter of priorities. What is more important than human life?

NFBW: Don’t legislate your moral priorities on women you do not know.

END2212220832

Last edited:
NFBW: Don’t legislate your moral priorities on women you do not know.
Let's start here. I don't know where you got the idea that I am involved in legislation or even support legislation on this matter. Didn't I mention my leaning is Libertarian? My position has always been that government stuck its nose where it has no business being.

Big Government decides it can tell women Government has the right the decide the position on abortion. It is none of government's business--Government should go tend to the nation's business among other nations and leave the people to theirs.

Milgram taught us that if Authority tells us it is alright to do something, no matter how cruel, two-thirds will go along with that cruel ruling being okay. Two-thirds of the population will follow authority. Therefore, claim authority, and then tell the populace what tradition taught was wrong is now right. Two-thirds of the population will agree automatically because authority said so.

To be clear and succinct: My position is that government should have no position on abortion. Do not tell people it is right or even okay. Do not tell the people it is wrong. Abortion is their problem to wrestle with, because no one will be there to give them permission.

Abortion being legal or not is related to the reality that a soul or spirit or some mysterious cosmic essence (even to an atheist) is what makes human beings special and godlike and having dominion over all other life, essentially when compared to primates who give birth in the same way.
Again, why the need to rationalize?

My position does not involve when the first heart beat occurs, the first brain wave happens, when the life can survive outside the womb, or when the soul joins the body.

Your argument/rationalization seems to be that it is okay to end that creation as long as it is ended before this, that, or the other. You go to great lengths to explain the soul might not be joined with the body at the time of an abortion, which makes ending the creation process okay. Is it correct that you differentiate between ending the creation process and ending a life?

My position: The creation of a human life begins at conception. God is Creator, and I choose to respect His creation no matter the stage that creation is in.

NFBW: The anti-abortion movement has conned people into believing women are carrying what “thou shall not kill” because the living human organism in the womb has the same special mystery of human essence that can conveniently be labeled as a “soul” for matters of discussion about aborting “GOD-GIVEN LIFE.
Let's talk about 'cons'. The biggest con is calling it "The right to choose." Those who chose that namby-pandy wording did not even have the courage to say, "The right to abort." Their position was that unstable, even in their own minds.

Further, the government has no authority to declare abortion a 'right'. Abortion is in the same category as suicide. With suicide, the government no longer has a citizen to prosecute. With abortion, government does not yet have a citizen to protect.

I do not believe we should elect politicians
I think we both agree with the above phrase. :) Where we differ, is that the last politician I would want in government is one who believes the government should have any authority about abortion at all. Makes it difficult to find politician because most stand on one side or the other.

I stand with neither, and therefore am frowned upon by all. However, I will vote for the life candidate because it is also my stance that Government should not be involved in ending innocent life. A government who involves itself in such is not a government to be trusted in other matters.

I believe in God, our Creator, who gave each of us free will/free choice. He gave us ideals, He taught us His Law, His way of life in the Kingdom. Each morning each individual should wake up and call to mind Deuteronomy 30 where God outlines the choices before us:

See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction....Choose life.

The other choice is open to us as well.

I think we both agree with the above phrase.

I do not believe we should elect politicians. . .

I do not agree with that at all. I believe in Representative Government and most women nationally agree they have a fundamental natural law right to abort a not viable human being that is temporarily using their body to survive. I will not ever accept an authoritarian government based on a Catholic type religious belief that a fully realized God personalized human being is created at conception.

I will not ever accept an authoritarian government based on a Catholic type religious belief that a fully realized God personalized human being is created at conception.
Is someone suggesting that you should? Most agree upon the separation of Church and State. I know I do--it is what is best for Church. You seem inordinately angry with Catholics, and I see no reason to be.

MeriW221001-#150 Meriweather “The reality is that women are carrying a human life. Then it becomes a matter of priorities. What is more important than human life?”

NFBW: Human life in the womb has the same high priority of importance to me in my personal relationships that you apparently have in your personal relationships with likeminded human beings including your fellowship with members of the Catholic Church.

However, why must a pregnant woman who has no relationship to you Meriweather or who has no relationship to me, be subjected to our personal relationship priorities when the anti-abortion politicians that you say you vote for, make laws that removes access to private medical facilities that perform safe abortions for women who don’t have the same priorities as both of us do?

How are you not a theological authoritarian when you vote for authoritarian politicians who block free and independent access to safe and legal abortions for women who perhaps agree with Stann as expressed in the following quote?

If human beings were going extinct you might have half a case. But they're not. Plus you've totally disrespected the woman involved in the equation ( which doesn't include you or your opinion ). Most abortions occur before the " human life " is recognizable as a human being and at no time is it sentient. Which is one of the main characteristics of a human being. So we are dealing with human tissue, not a human being. The potential is there but that's all.

END2212230054

MashM220830-#1 Good Vatican City Morality Cop Mashmont wrote: “Fast forward to 2008, Democrats and their media were wildly successful in fulfilling their plans I overheard in 2003. They were right and I was wrong. They managed to crater Bush’s approval numbers for the 2004 election, but not enough to beat him, but by 2008 got them down to the 20s, and painted him as incompetent on the war. They sold the lie of WMD as fact so successfully, even Bush went along with it.”

NFBW: Trump worshipping, anti-abortion Catholics have to be the most irrational unintelligent human beings on our planet when comparing his above quote with the following Trump quote;

TRUMP: “This will be a big week for Infrastructure. After so stupidly spending $7 trillion in the Middle East, it is now time to start investing in OUR Country!” — tweet.

AP FACT CHECK: Trump's inflated claim on costs of war

TRUMP: “I said this morning as of a couple months ago, we have spent $7 trillion in the Middle East — $7 trillion. What a mistake. And — but it is what it is. This is what I took over. And we’re trying to build roads and bridges and fix bridges that are falling down. And we have a hard time getting the money. It’s crazy. But think of that as of a couple months ago, $7 trillion in the Middle East, and the Middle East is far worse now than it was 17 years ago when they went in, and not so intelligently, I have to say, went in.” — remarks at White House infrastructure event

NFBW210718-#2,485 This was an appropriate standard for not supporting W’s intention to start a war in Iraq

Pope John Paul II In a Jan. 13 address to diplomats, the pope said, “No to war! War is not always inevitable. It is always a defeat for humanity. International law, honest dialogue, solidarity between States, the noble exercise of diplomacy: these are methods worthy of individuals and nations in resolving their differences.”

United States Conference of Catholic Bishops The bishops’ president, Wilton Gregory, said on Feb. 26 that the bishops have not changed their minds since they spoke out against war last November. “To permit preemptive or preventive uses of military force to overthrow threatening or hostile regimes would create deeply troubling moral and legal precedents. Based on the facts that are known, it is difficult to justify resort to war against Iraq.”

END2212230227

NFBW221222-#6,474 “I will not ever accept an authoritarian government based on a Catholic type religious belief that a fully realized God personalized human being is created at conception.”
^
^
MeriW221222-#6,476 Meriweather Is someone suggesting that you should?

NFBW: Yes, The following authoritarian Protestant and/or Catholic Trump Voters with you are prime examples in your ideological crusade against the natural right of free access to safe abortions for all women no matter where they live.

Mashmont220129-#231 Mashmont “When you remove religion from government, the cancer of atheism fills the void as is happening in the US. That's what the Framers failed to anticipate

Dayton3221008-#253 I'm not against Catholics though. They've been a great asset in the fight against abortion and homosexuality.

Marener221202-#6 That’s completely inaccurate. Liberals don’t care if you straight, white or Christian. It’s just that the people who espouse these “traditional values” have a tendency to think they need to tell everyone else how to live.
^
^
Dayton3221202-#11 Dayton3 Most people need to be told how to live

NFBW: They are in your voting bloc in favor of politicians who support banning women from safe legal abortions in states where white evangelical Christians can dominate a state Capitol electorally.

END221223-0635

NFBW: They are in your voting bloc in favor of politicians who support banning women from safe legal abortions in states where white evangelical Christians can dominate a state Capitol electorally.
Yawn. Such a bother when people don't march lock-step with you, isn't it? Why are you insisting everyone in America fall in line with you? The reality is that the citizens differ on this question.

That is why I maintain the position of removing the issue out of government entirely. Return it to the personal realm where it should have been all along. Government shouldn't have control over how people think; and for reasons already explained, should keep their stamp of approval to itself.

Forum List

Back