Robert B. Reich: The Bankruptcy Of Detroit And The Division Of America

Republicans are against unions and the minimum wage.Republicans hate the working man.

And that is nothing new...but it has only gotten worse over the last 66 years...

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They approve of social security benefits-so much so that they took them away from almost a million people. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They believe in international trade--so much so that they crippled our reciprocal trade program, and killed our International Wheat Agreement. They favor the admission of displaced persons--but only within shameful racial and religious limitations.They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They say TVA is wonderful--but we ought never to try it again. They condemn "cruelly high prices"--but fight to the death every effort to bring them down. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire of Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
President Harry S. Truman - October 13, 1948

Please post all the cities that have faced these problems.
I'll start:
Pittsburgh. Saw declining industrial base in steel and attracted medical and education research business with active outread to those business and more pro-business policies.
Your turn, moron.

Even if you didn't learn about Concentric zone model of urban structure in college like I did, a drive through any city would reveal the pattern of urban decay that happens to every city. I already knew you are stupid, I didn't know you are blind.

Here is your term for the day: Legacy Cities

So, all these cities have to do is to quit electing Democrats? Ironic, Pittsburgh quit electing Republican mayors in 1934. List of mayors of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Here is an interesting article. Read it with caution, it might dent your dogma...

Here is your other term for the day: immigration

A Tale Of Three Cities Detroit Toronto And Pittsburgh In A Post-Industrialized World
That's why every city is bankrupt, right?
You're such a moron it's amazing you can operate a can opener.

And yet some Lefty chick here nominated her as the most thoughtful poster on the board.

Hey Mrs Stormfront, I am a male.

This is the internet so no one can tell. Your writing style, female-like cat-fighting character assassination style, constant whining and desire to be cared for by Big Government strongly point to you being a woman.

Pretty funny...liberals are accused of loving BIG government, but liberals and Democrats voted to end the Patriot Act. It was Republicans and tea partiers who voted for it...OVERWHELMINGLY.

Social Security and Medicare, which has never added a dime to the debt and by LAW CAN'T add a dime to the debt is BIG government...BUT, Fatherland Security, one of the most bloated and crony filled bureaucracies in America is NOT BIG government...

Even if you didn't learn about Concentric zone model of urban structure in college like I did, a drive through any city would reveal the pattern of urban decay that happens to every city. I already knew you are stupid, I didn't know you are blind.

Here is your term for the day: Legacy Cities

So, all these cities have to do is to quit electing Democrats? Ironic, Pittsburgh quit electing Republican mayors in 1934. List of mayors of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Here is an interesting article. Read it with caution, it might dent your dogma...

Here is your other term for the day: immigration

A Tale Of Three Cities Detroit Toronto And Pittsburgh In A Post-Industrialized World

And yet some Lefty chick here nominated her as the most thoughtful poster on the board.

This is the internet so no one can tell. Your writing style, female-like cat-fighting character assassination style, constant whining and desire to be cared for by Big Government strongly point to you being a woman.

Pretty funny...liberals are accused of loving BIG government, but liberals and Democrats voted to end the Patriot Act.

Huh? Are you living in an alternate universe?

I'd actually hoped this would happen after we elected Obama and gave Democrats majority control of Congress. But it didn't.

Ask Edward Snowden if you're confused.

Tell us all, please, how "progressive policies" destroyed Detroit?

Because progressives fail to understand the problems that they want to fix, their solutions make things worse. All cities rot from the center our, and if you don't understand that, then you cannot properly stop the rot. The first mistake, is downtown redevelopment, ususally started with a downtown redevelopement agency. This takes money away from the rest of the city, and that begins to deteriorate. However, the political elite live and/or work in the city center, and that is what is important to them.

Not enough tax money? Absorb more areas and increase the tax base. Use that money in an attempt to stop the rot that was allowed by putting all the money downtown. Then the area absorbed begins to deteriorate because the money that used to repair their roads is now repairing roads in the old city.

As taxes go up in the city, and conditions continue to degrade, the middle class pack up and move further out. Lower income people move into the now cheaper neighborhoods, and the cycle continues. A ring of rot slowly moves out and engulfs more of the city. Anyone looking will see that ring of rot in just about every city in America.

How to fix this? Pass a national law that makes it a hanging offense to even mention downtown redevelopment. Those people want their neighhorhood redevelped, they can afford to do it themselves.

Pretty funny...liberals are accused of loving BIG government, but liberals and Democrats voted to end the Patriot Act.

I'd actually hoped this would happen after we elected Obama and gave Democrats majority control of Congress. But it didn't.

WHO is confused?

The tea party hates BIG government? The same tea party who voted 122 to 17 FOR renewal of the Patriot Act??

And the 'evil' left who would have ENDED the Patriot Act if it wasn't for the overwhelming YEA votes by the right???

House Vote Roll Call on 2006 Patriot Act Renewal on March 7, 2006

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

And how did the 'Tea-party 'patriots' vote?

122 Tea Party Members of Congress who voted FOR final passage of H.R. 514, reauthorizing the Patriot Act without reform

17 Tea Party Members of Congress who voted AGAINST final passage of H.R. 514, reauthorizing the Patriot Act without reform

WHO is confused?

The tea party hates BIG government? The same tea party who voted 122 to 17 FOR renewal of the Patriot Act??

And the 'evil' left who would have ENDED the Patriot Act if it wasn't for the overwhelming YEA votes by the right???

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

122 Tea Party Members of Congress who voted FOR final passage of H.R. 514, reauthorizing the Patriot Act without reform

17 Tea Party Members of Congress who voted AGAINST final passage of H.R. 514, reauthorizing the Patriot Act without reform

I don't give a rat's ass about the Tea Party. You claimed that the Democrats voted to repeal the Patriot Act, and that's bullshit. The Obama administration has been eager to use the extra power and continues to expand the surveillance state. Fess up.

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

you seem to be confused.

As it pertains to protection of Americans from foreign and domestic groups that wish to harm us, the tea party is all for government intervention.

The tea party simply wants government out of our private lives.

Not sure where you missed that. It has been made quite obvious over the years.

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

you seem to be confused.

As it pertains to protection of Americans from foreign and domestic groups that wish to harm us, the tea party is all for government intervention.

Riiiiight. Spying on our phone calls is keeping "government out of our private lives". Bullshit abounds!

Republicans want to reward ownership.
Democrats want to reward work.

Ownership is reward, and it usually takes work to obtain it. Democrats seem to be more concerned with rewarding those who do not work.

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

I don't give a rat's ass about the Tea Party. You claimed that Democrats voted to repeal the Patriot Act, and that's bullshit. Fess up.

OK Jethro, take off your shoes and socks so you can do some 'ciphering'...

So here are the rules...ONLY Democrats get to vote on the Patriot Act renewal...

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

Democrats
YEA - 54
NAY - 122

Outcome- DEFEATED

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

I don't give a rat's ass about the Tea Party. You claimed that Democrats voted to repeal the Patriot Act, and that's bullshit. Fess up.

So here are the rules...ONLY Democrats get to vote on the Patriot Act renewal...

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

Democrats
YEA - 54
NAY - 122

Outcome- DEFEATED

Yet when we had a Democrat president and a Democrat majority in Congress, they made no meaningful campaign to repeal it. Because, whatever their bullshit rhetoric, they like authoritarian state power too much to give it up.

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

you seem to be confused.

Riiiiight. Spying on our phone calls is keeping "government out of our private lives". Bullshit abounds!
you missed the point.
Telling us we can not drive 100 MPH is intervening in our lives as well....but it is something that is designed to protect us
The Patriot Act, with some of its faults, is designed to protect us from those that wish to do harm to us.

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

you seem to be confused.

I miss nothing...and neither did Ben Franklin...
Out of our private lives? Like recording our private phone calls?

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

Democrats
YEA - 54
NAY - 122

Outcome- DEFEATED
and it doesn't strike you as strange that there was not a vote in 2009 or 2010 when they couldn't blame the other party for the outcome?

Do you not realize how they set you up to defend the indefensible?

What is it like to support a party that sees you as an easy target to be duped?

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

Democrats
YEA - 54
NAY - 122

Outcome- DEFEATED

Yet when we had a Democrat president and a Democrat majority in Congress, they made no meaningful campaign to repeal it. Because, whatever their bullshit rhetoric, they like authoritarian state power too much to give it up.

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

you seem to be confused.

you missed the point.
Telling us we can not drive 100 MPH is intervening in our lives as well....but it is something that is designed to protect us
The Patriot Act, with some of its faults, is designed to protect us from those that wish to do harm to us.

The individual mandate to buy insurance is "designed to protect us" as well. But both the Patriot Act, and the ACA are egregious violations of individual liberty, and blatant abuses of state power. Republicans and Democrats are flipsides of the same coin.

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

Democrats
YEA - 54
NAY - 122

Outcome- DEFEATED

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

you seem to be confused.

you missed the point.

The individual mandate to buy insurance is "designed to protect us" as well. But both the Patriot Act, and the ACA are egregious violations of individual liberty, and blatant abuses of state power. Republicans and Democrats are flipsides of the same coin.
The individual mandate is not designed to protect us. It is designed to protect the financial integrity of the ACA. The ACA is not designed to protect us. It is designed to make healthcare more affordable....although it failed at that.

Republicans want to reward ownership.
Democrats want to reward work.

Ownership is reward, and it usually takes work to obtain it. Democrats seem to be more concerned with rewarding those who do not work.

That is right wing parrot squawk...

Good example...the War on Poverty...

Ironically, the War on Poverty SHOULD have been strongly supported by conservatives. But they only offer empty rhetoric, while trying to tear down the working men and women of our nation and always trying to create an aristocracy by propping up and worshiping the opulent.

Here are some FACTS for you on what the War on Poverty.

When President Kennedy's brother-in law Sargent Shriver accepted President Johnson's challenge and took on the 'War on Poverty' the first thing he discovered was rather startling and disturbing. Half of the Americans living in poverty were children. Another large segment were elderly and another segment were mentally and/or physically disabled. So a HUGE segment of the poor fit the TRUE definition of a dependent. So there is an obligation as a civil society to make sure those real dependents are not trampled on or extinguished.

To address some of the players in your fairy tale, voila! We have an unabashed flaming liberal...Sargent Shriver. But I hate to disappoint you. Sargent Shriver hated welfare and had no intention of creating a handout program. He didn't believe in handouts, he believed in community action, opportunity, responsibility, and empowerment.

The 'War on Poverty' was called the Office of Economic Opportunity. The core principles were opportunity, responsibility, community and empowerment. The program's goal was maximum feasible participation. One of the concepts of empowerment was poor people had a right to one-third of the seats on every local poverty program board. It was a community based program that focused on education as the keys to the city. Programs such as VISTA, Job Corps, Community Action Program, and Head Start were created to increase opportunity for the poor so they could pull themselves out of poverty with a hand UP, not a hand out. Even when Johnson effectively pulled the plug on the War on Poverty to fund the war in Vietnam, Shriver fought on and won. During the Shriver years more Americans got out of poverty than during any similar time in our history. (The Clinton years - employing the same philosophy - were the second best.) Ref

Here is one of the agencies created by the WOP...

Job Corps is a program administered by the United States Department of Labor that offers free-of-charge education and vocational training to youth ages 16 to 24.

Job Corps offers career planning, on-the-job training, job placement, residential housing, food service, driver's education, basic health and dental care, a bi-weekly basic living allowance and clothing allowance. Some centers offer childcare programs for single parents as well.

Besides vocational training, the Job Corps program also offers academic training, including basic reading and math, GED attainment, college preparatory, and Limited English Proficiency courses. Some centers also offer programs that allow students to remain in residence at their center while attending college.[citation needed] Job Corps provides career counseling and transition support to its students for up to one year after they graduate from the program.

Career paths

Career paths offered by Job Corps include:

Advanced manufacturing

Communication design
Drafting
Electronic assembly
Machine appliance repair
Machining
Welding
Manufacturing technology
Sign, billboard, and display

Automotive and machine repair

Automobile technician
General services technician
Collision repair and refinish
Heavy construction equipment mechanic
Diesel mechanic
Medium/heavy truck repair
Electronics tech
Stationary engineering

Construction

Bricklaying
Carpentry
Cement masonry
Concrete and terrazzo
Construction craft laborer
Electrical
Electrical overhead line
Facilities maintenance
Floor covering
Glazing
HVAC
Industrial engineering technician
Licensed electrician (bilingual)
Mechanical engineering technician
Painting
Plastering
Plumbing
Roto-Rooter plumbing
Tile setting

Extension programs

Advanced Career Training (ACT)
General Educational Development (GED)
Commercial driver's license (CDL)
Off-Center Training (OCT Program)
High school diploma (HSD Program)

Finance and Business

Accounting services
Business management
Clerical occupations
Legal secretary
Insurance and financial services
Marketing
Medical insurance specialist
Office administration
Paralegal
Purchasing

Health care/allied health professions

Clinical medical assistant
Dental assistant
EKG technician
Emergency medical technician
Exercise/massage therapy
Hemodialysis technician
Licensed practical/vocational nurse
Medical office support
Nurse assistant/home health aide
Opticianry
Pharmacy technician
Phlebotomy
Physical therapy assistant
Rehabilitation therapy
Rehabilitation technician
Registered nurse
Respiratory therapy
Sterile processing
Surgical technician

Homeland security

Corrections officer
Seamanship
Security and protective services

Hospitality

Culinary arts
Hotel and lodging

Information technology

A+ Microsoft MSCE
Computer Networking/Cisco
Computer systems administrator
Computer support specialist
Computer technician
Integrated system tech
Network cable installation
Visual communications

Renewable resources and energy

Forest conservation and urban forestry
Firefighting
Wastewater
Landscaping

Retail sales and services

Behavioral health aide
Criminal justice
Child development
Residential advisor
Cosmetology
Retail sales

Transportation

Asphalt paving
Material and distribution operations
Clerical occupations
Heavy equipment operations
Roustabout operator
Heavy truck driving
TCU administrative clerk

WHO is confused?

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

Democrats
YEA - 54
NAY - 122

Outcome- DEFEATED
and it doesn't strike you as strange that there was not a vote in 2009 or 2010 when they couldn't blame the other party for the outcome?

Do you not realize how they set you up to defend the indefensible?

What is it like to support a party that sees you as an easy target to be duped?

Here is your term for the day...Sunset Provision...

Forum List

Back