Robert B. Reich: The Bankruptcy Of Detroit And The Division Of America

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
this is what the left/progressive/Democrats thinks of you people in the country
Unbelievable. so it's OUR FAULT. and not just everyone but (white people) for not staying in a dying city with high crime, high taxes, etc while their government gives to unions and government employees so they can live the high life off the people who lived there.

SNIP:
Robert B. Reich 6:28 a.m. EDT September 16, 2014
26 TWEETLINKEDIN 15 COMMENTEMAILMORE

Detroit is the largest city ever to seek bankruptcy protection, so its bankruptcy is seen as a potential model for other American cities now teetering on the edge.

But Detroit is really a model for how wealthier and whiter Americans escape the costs of public goods they would otherwise share with poorer and darker Americans.
Judge Steven Rhodes of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan is now weighing Detroit's plan to shed $7 billion of its debts and restore some $1.5 billion of city services by requiring various groups of creditors to make sacrifices.

Among those being asked to sacrifice are Detroit's former city employees, now dependent on pensions and health care benefits that the city agreed years before to pay. Also taking a cut: investors who bought $1.4 billion worth of bonds the city issued in 2005.
Both groups said the cuts unfairly burden them. Under the plan, the 2005 investors emerge with little or nothing, and Detroit's retirees have their pensions cut 4.5%, lose some health benefits, and do without cost-of-living adjustments.
No one knows whether Rhodes will accept or reject the plan. But one thing is for certain: A very large and prosperous group close by won't sacrifice a cent -- the mostly white citizens of neighboring Oakland County.
Oakland County is the fourth wealthiest county in the United States among counties with a million or more residents.
In fact, metro Detroit, including its suburbs, ranks among the top financial centers, top four centers of high technology employment, and second largest source of engineering and architectural talent in America.
The median household in the county
earned more than $65,000 last year. The median household in Birmingham earned more than $94,000. In Bloomfield Hills, the median was close to $105,000.
Detroit's upscale suburbs also have excellent schools, rapid-response security and resplendent parks.
Forty years ago, Detroit had a mixture of wealthy, middle class and poor. But then its middle class and white residents began fleeing to the suburbs. Between 2000 and 2010, the city lost a quarter of its population.
By the time it declared bankruptcy, Detroit was almost entirely poor. Its median household income was $26,000. More than half of its children were impoverished.
That left it with depressed property values, abandoned neighborhoods, empty buildings and dilapidated schools. Forty percent of its streetlights don't work. Many of its parks closed within the last five years.
Earlier this year, monthly water bills in Detroit were running 50% higher than the national average, and officials began shutting off the water to 150,000 households who couldn't pay the bills.

all of it here WITH COMMENTS over this disgusting little mans accusations:
Robert B. Reich The bankruptcy of Detroit and the division of America

Is the little freaking dwarf Bobby Reich blind? The middle class whites supported the school system in Detroit. The wealthy whites abandoned the area when Obama policies indicated that the industrial power of America was over. What should White families do when the city turned into a slum and Black gangs preyed on white kids? Maybe Bobby Reich should have enrolled his kids in the Detroit school system just to show his solidarity.

Is the little freaking dwarf Bobby Reich blind? The middle class whites supported the school system in Detroit. The wealthy whites abandoned the area when Obama policies indicated that the industrial power of America was over.

Whites fled Detroit long before anyone knew who Obama was.

this is what the left/progressive/Democrats thinks of you people in the country
Unbelievable. so it's OUR FAULT. and not just everyone but (white people) for not staying in a dying city with high crime, high taxes, etc while their government gives to unions and government employees so they can live the high life off the people who lived there.

SNIP:
Robert B. Reich 6:28 a.m. EDT September 16, 2014
26 TWEETLINKEDIN 15 COMMENTEMAILMORE

Detroit is the largest city ever to seek bankruptcy protection, so its bankruptcy is seen as a potential model for other American cities now teetering on the edge.
But Detroit is really a model for how wealthier and whiter Americans escape the costs of public goods they would otherwise share with poorer and darker Americans.
Judge Steven Rhodes of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan is now weighing Detroit's plan to shed $7 billion of its debts and restore some $1.5 billion of city services by requiring various groups of creditors to make sacrifices.

Among those being asked to sacrifice are Detroit's former city employees, now dependent on pensions and health care benefits that the city agreed years before to pay. Also taking a cut: investors who bought $1.4 billion worth of bonds the city issued in 2005.
Both groups said the cuts unfairly burden them. Under the plan, the 2005 investors emerge with little or nothing, and Detroit's retirees have their pensions cut 4.5%, lose some health benefits, and do without cost-of-living adjustments.

No one knows whether Rhodes will accept or reject the plan. But one thing is for certain: A very large and prosperous group close by won't sacrifice a cent -- the mostly white citizens of neighboring Oakland County.

Oakland County is the fourth wealthiest county in the United States among counties with a million or more residents.
In fact, metro Detroit, including its suburbs, ranks among the top financial centers, top four centers of high technology employment, and second largest source of engineering and architectural talent in America.
The median household in the county earned more than $65,000 last year. The median household in Birmingham earned more than $94,000. In Bloomfield Hills, the median was close to $105,000.
Detroit's upscale suburbs also have excellent schools, rapid-response security and resplendent parks.
Forty years ago, Detroit had a mixture of wealthy, middle class and poor. But then its middle class and white residents began fleeing to the suburbs. Between 2000 and 2010, the city lost a quarter of its population.
By the time it declared bankruptcy, Detroit was almost entirely poor. Its median household income was $26,000. More than half of its children were impoverished.
That left it with depressed property values, abandoned neighborhoods, empty buildings and dilapidated schools. Forty percent of its streetlights don't work. Many of its parks closed within the last five years.
Earlier this year, monthly water bills in Detroit were running 50% higher than the national average, and officials began shutting off the water to 150,000 households who couldn't pay the bills.

all of it here WITH COMMENTS over this disgusting little mans accusations:
Robert B. Reich The bankruptcy of Detroit and the division of America

The marxist midget is a cum guzzling Obama fellator and basically a joke.

Is the little freaking dwarf Bobby Reich blind? The middle class whites supported the school system in Detroit. The wealthy whites abandoned the area when Obama policies indicated that the industrial power of America was over.

Whites fled Detroit long before anyone knew who Obama was.

that's true. you couldn't pay me to live there now

I wish people could understand detroit I really do. I know some posters who could know how cool it was.

My kids are actually begging me to buy property so I can be close to them .The sales are great. I'm trying to tell the kids I'd rather be in Golden. Sheesh.

I'll be heading down to Grosse Pointe in October. Those folks in the suburbs have more money than they know what to do with. At least they keep the Detroit Zoo, Comerica Park, and Ford Field operating nicely. :thup:

My kids are actually begging me to buy property so I can be close to them .The sales are great. I'm trying to tell the kids I'd rather be in Golden. Sheesh.
I wish I could be back with them.

So Detroit adopted racist policies that effectively drove out the white middle class, leaving a mass of poor blacks dependent on government, and somehow it's white people's fault? I guess they should feel guilty for wanting to better themselves and not take it in the ass from racists like Coleman Young.

His theory appears to be that people who moved away from the declining areas to the suburbs in another county should somehow be financially responsible for their former county, and since they are not writing checks to their former county they are racist.

So if your area is in decline and you're white, you're a racist if you do what's best for your family and move.

If you don't stay where you are and "share" the costs of public services with people whose skin color is darker than yours, you're a racist.

It's come to this, gang. This is how the PC Police thinks.

Last edited:
Detroit is the ultimate Progressive success story: Take a world class US City, destroy the local economy and drag it down to third World shit hole status.

Mission Accomplished

Detroit is the ultimate Progressive success story: Take a world class US City, destroy the local economy and drag it down to third World shit hole status.

Mission Accomplished

Yep and when they succeed. then turn around and BLAME it on the PEOPLE of this country
the once proud Detroit destroyed by Governments and the people running them.

Capitalists used up Detroit and then abandoned it

Forum List

Back