Robert B. Reich: The Bankruptcy Of Detroit And The Division Of America

What is it like to support a party that sees you as an easy target to be duped?

Here is your term for the day...Sunset Provision...

sun·set pro·vi·sion: (see duped)

Yea, why don't we just forget about laws and hold elections whenever we wish? The Patriot Act was signed into law by Bush on October 26, 2001. It expired on December 31, 2005.

AGAIN...

If ONLY Democrats were allowed to vote on renewal...

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

Yea, why don't we just forget about laws and hold elections whenever we wish? The Patriot Act was signed into law by Bush on October 26, 2001. It expired on December 31, 2005.

AGAIN...

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

And when Democrats controlled the White House and Congress, did they seize the opportunity and mount an agressive campaign to repeal the Patriot Act? Or did they sit on their hands and hope no one would notice?

AGAIN...

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

And when Democrats controlled the White House and Congress, did they seize the opportunity and mount an agressive campaign to repeal the Patriot Act? Or did they sit on their hands and hope no one would notice?

HELLO? Is there anyone home? The law EXPIRED December 31, 2005.

Question...if ONLY Democrats votes were counted in 2006, would the PA have continued, or would it have been defeated?

1) Continued
2) Defeated

1 or 2?

AGAIN...

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

Question...if ONLY Democrats votes were counted in 2006, would the PA have continued, or would it have been defeated?

1) Continued
2) Defeated

1 or 2?

Listen, I realize politics is this team sport thing for you, a "Taste Great!/Less Filling!" pissing match between the Demorats and Rethuglicans. But I simply don't care. Democrats were elected to undo the damage caused by the Bush administration and they have failed to do that. And in that, they have failed the country.

Whichever party is out of power talks up citizen's rights and limited government, but as soon as they are in the driver's seat the suffer amnesia, and suddenly find all kinds of reasons to support the authoritarian state. You might buy that shit. I don't.

AGAIN...

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

1) Continued
2) Defeated

1 or 2?

Listen, I realize politics is this team sport thing for you, a "Taste Great!/Less Filling!" pissing match between the Demorats and Rethuglicans. But I simply don't care. Democrats were elected to undo the damage caused by the Bush administration and they have failed to do that. And in that, they have failed the country.

Whichever party is out of power talks up citizen's rights and limited government, but as soon as they are in the driver's seat the suffer amnesia, and suddenly find all kinds of reasons to support the authoritarian state. You might buy that shit. I don't.

NO, it is not a 'team sport'. It is laws and legislation. The PA expired in 2005. Bush was in office. Democrats voted AGAINST renewal in 2006. It would have never continued if ONLY the Democrat vote was counted...

2010...even with a Democrat in the White House, Democrats voted AGAINST renewal of the PA. By an even larger majority.

Face the FACTS...the PA would have died in 2006 if it were decided by Democrats.

WHO supported the authoritarian state?...the authoritarians.

Republicans

YEA - 215
NAY - 13

Republicans

YEA - 196
NAY - 31

AGAIN...

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

1) Continued
2) Defeated

1 or 2?

NO, it is not a 'team sport'. It is laws and legislation. The PA expired in 2005. Bush was in office. Democrats voted AGAINST renewal in 2006. It would have never continued if ONLY the Democrat vote was counted...

2010...even with a Democrat in the White House, Democrats voted AGAINST renewal of the PA. By an even larger majority.

Face the FACTS...the PA would have died in 2006 if it were decided by Democrats.

Republicans

YEA - 215
NAY - 13

Republicans

YEA - 196
NAY - 31

It's easy to make a token vote that has no chance of succeeding. When the Democrats controlled Congress, they failed to repeal the Patriot Act. More telling, the president we elected in hope of change, didn't even try. Again, you may buy that bullshit. I don't.

AGAIN...

Democrats
YEA - 66
NAY - 124

Outcome- DEFEATED

1) Continued
2) Defeated

1 or 2?

Republicans

YEA - 215
NAY - 13

Republicans

YEA - 196
NAY - 31

It's easy to make a token vote that has no chance of succeeding. When the Democrats controlled Congress, they failed to repeal the Patriot Act. More telling, the president we elected in hope of change, didn't even try. Again, you may buy that bullshit. I don't.

It is clear which side of the aisle the ONLY hope of ending the PA will ever come from...CRYSTAL

You are just too stupid to comprehend that. We don't live in a perfect world.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde

It is clear which side of the aisle the ONLY hope of ending the PA will ever come from...CRYSTAL

Oscar Wilde
Let's see. Republicans enacted it and put a sunset provision in.
Democrats re-enacted it without a sunset provision.
Yup, crystal clear all right. Vote GOP. End the Patriot Act.

Oscar Wilde

As usual, you are talking out of your ass...

LemjGL1.png

1) House and Senate Renew PATRIOT Act With No Modifications
On May 26, the House and Senate renewed three controversial provisions of law related to the USA PATRIOT Act that were set to expire the next day. The renewal was passed in the form of an amendment to an unrelated bill, S. 990, that itself temporarily extended authorities of the Small Business Administration. Despite efforts by individual Senators to introduce modifications to the Act’s intelligence authorities, the final bill simply renewed the expiring provisions until June 1, 2015 without changes. ref

Oscar Wilde

iFQkfdk.png

BmKv49J.png

Oscar Wilde

iFQkfdk.png

BmKv49J.png
I had no idea Heritage represented the GOP.
The facts are as I laid out: Democrats voted to extend Patriot. I will bet they will do so again. And Obama will sign the bill.
Go lobby Democrats against it.

Oscar Wilde

iFQkfdk.png

BmKv49J.png
The facts are as I laid out: Democrats voted to extend Patriot. I will bet they will do so again. And Obama will sign the bill.

Are you THAT fucking stupid? Even a 1st grader could decipher that Democrats vote to END the Patriot Act in 2006 and in 2011.

So tell me Rabbi, HOW did it pass?

House Vote Roll Call on 2006 Patriot Act Renewal on March 7, 2006

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

And how did the 'Tea-party 'patriots' vote?

122 Tea Party Members of Congress who voted FOR final passage of H.R. 514, reauthorizing the Patriot Act without reform

17 Tea Party Members of Congress who voted AGAINST final passage of H.R. 514, reauthorizing the Patriot Act without reform

Robert Reich is one of the biggest piles of commie shit. He thinks he is oh so smart, and he makes claims like this.

Of course, this is exactly what I always say about the fucking left. All they have are their cliches. Their scapegoats. We all know what they are, and this piece of shit proves it.

Detroit's demise is the result of white right wing American capitalism.

The pathetic thing is how the majority of blacks in this country are so manipulated and oppressed by such rhetoric.

Last edited:
I'll be heading down to Grosse Pointe in October. Those folks in the suburbs have more money than they know what to do with. At least they keep the Detroit Zoo, Comerica Park, and Ford Field operating nicely. :thup:

How much money have you given to poor people? Go ahead, tell us Mr Beale. I thought you would have learned by Mr Beale, the world.....is a business.

Nice.

It's only malevolent if we let it be. Nice to see the message of that movie flew right over your head and you identified with the wrong side.

Darth Vader a hero of yours too?

My personal circumstances have nothing to do with the issue.

On a different note, the point I WAS trying to make, which also flew right over your head, was that residents DO however support large community projects in Detroit that benefit all the suburbs. Self interest and capitalism work. It might interest you to know that as the government crumbles and has less money to regulate the affairs of the local residents, Detroit has one of the largest libertarian/anarchist communities in the nation. It now has private busing, private security services, private trash pick up, etc. The city has no money for code enforcement, can't provide any services, has a large customer base, thus, it has a thriving libertarian/anarchist community grey market that the government looks the other way, because it depends on to do what it can't.

Maybe that is why, for the first time since 1970, Detroiters elected a white business man instead of a career black government employee to be mayor?

This is what Americans need to do to the Federal Government since their government isn't spending their money the right way. Folks in Detroit are smarter than the average American. If politicians in D.C. are giving that cash to Banks, subsidizing stupid programs and corporations, pay-lining the pockets of daddy war-bucks to redraw borders in the middle while cutting themselves a fat check? Tax payer should stop paying for that shit. Nothing in the Constitution mandates they should have to pay for that type of corruption.

Half of Detroit property owners don't pay taxes
From The Detroit News: Half of Detroit property owners don t pay taxes The Detroit News

Detroit — Nearly half of the owners of Detroit's 305,000 properties failed to pay their tax bills last year, exacerbating a punishing cycle of declining revenues and diminished services for a city in a financial crisis, according to a Detroit News analysis of government records.

The News reviewed more than 200,000 pages of tax documents and found that 47 percent of the city's taxable parcels are delinquent on their 2011 bills. Some $246.5 million in taxes and fees went uncollected, about half of which was due Detroit and the rest to other entities, including Wayne County, Detroit Public Schools and the library.

Delinquency is so pervasive that 77 blocks had only one owner who paid taxes last year, The News found. Many of those who don't pay question why they should in a city that struggles to light its streets or keep police on them.
/QUOTE]

Oscar Wilde

iFQkfdk.png

BmKv49J.png

Are you THAT fucking stupid? Even a 1st grader could decipher that Democrats vote to END the Patriot Act in 2006 and in 2011.

So tell me Rabbi, HOW did it pass?

House Vote Roll Call on 2006 Patriot Act Renewal on March 7, 2006

AP_PATRIOT_VOTE.gif

FYI...

cUWc2K8.png

And how did the 'Tea-party 'patriots' vote?

122 Tea Party Members of Congress who voted FOR final passage of H.R. 514, reauthorizing the Patriot Act without reform

17 Tea Party Members of Congress who voted AGAINST final passage of H.R. 514, reauthorizing the Patriot Act without reform
I see the act passed with support from Democrats.
There's your problem right there.

Forum List

Back