RNC changing primary rules

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
First on CNN: Republicans moving to overhaul 2016 primary process - CNN.com

I assume this marks the end of the clown car festivities?

One proposal being weighed by the RNC members would involve sanctioning a small handful of debates while penalizing candidates who participate in any nonsanctioned GOP debate by stripping them of one-third of their delegates to the national convention.

There is also a "heavy appetite" to have a say over which journalists should be allowed to moderate the debates, said one Republican familiar with the ongoing discussions.

"There is a definitely a consensus for Reince's objective to have less debates and have control over how and who we have run our debates, rather than just turning it over to X, Y or Z network and having a guy moderate who's going to just dog you for two hours," said the Republican, who requested anonymity to discuss the sensitive and not-yet-finalized rules changes.

Calendar changes approved by the subcommittee must then be ratified by the RNC's Standing Committee on Rules, a vote that could take place as early as January at the RNC's winter meeting in Washington. If approved by the rules committee, the full 168-member RNC must vote on the calendar changes sometime before next summer.

This is a promising start.

First on CNN: Republicans moving to overhaul 2016 primary process - CNN.com

I assume this marks the end of the clown car festivities?

One proposal being weighed by the RNC members would involve sanctioning a small handful of debates while penalizing candidates who participate in any nonsanctioned GOP debate by stripping them of one-third of their delegates to the national convention.

There is also a "heavy appetite" to have a say over which journalists should be allowed to moderate the debates, said one Republican familiar with the ongoing discussions.

"There is a definitely a consensus for Reince's objective to have less debates and have control over how and who we have run our debates, rather than just turning it over to X, Y or Z network and having a guy moderate who's going to just dog you for two hours," said the Republican, who requested anonymity to discuss the sensitive and not-yet-finalized rules changes.

Calendar changes approved by the subcommittee must then be ratified by the RNC's Standing Committee on Rules, a vote that could take place as early as January at the RNC's winter meeting in Washington. If approved by the rules committee, the full 168-member RNC must vote on the calendar changes sometime before next summer.

This is a promising start.

It's window dressing until the republicans abandon their obsession with Trickle Down Economics.

Across the board tax cuts don't create jobs, they create fat bank accounts in the Caymans.

For entertainment purposes, all moderators should have to be subject to a conservative means testing so that only real conservatives get to question the candidates.

I, for one, would love to see Anne Coulter as a moderator.

Anne, Rush and Beck.

:thup: Better ratings than American Idol, ass-u-me-ing that's the goal.

They are trying to correct the mistakes of the last debate which is just fine.

I honestly can't see how this kind of rule is going to hold up.

Why not? The party can set for itself whatever mode of candidate selection they wish. If the RNC wants to use tea leaves, it can.

I support this. High time we start taking control of things again. The last election was a real shit show.

Guy, which mistakes were those?

Frankly, the problem the GOP had was that a guy with too much money used that money to bully his way to the nomination, even though most of the GOP Rank and File didn't want him.

All the debates did was give the other guys some free airtime.

Now, Republicans eventually concluded on their own that Bachmann and Paul and Huntsman were out of their nice comfortable zone where the vast majority of the party was, but at the very least, they got their say.

I honestly can't see how this kind of rule is going to hold up.

Why not? The party can set for itself whatever mode of candidate selection they wish. If the RNC wants to use tea leaves, it can.

I support this. High time we start taking control of things again. The last election was a real shit show.

Oh, I'll agree it was a real shit show, but it was because during the debates you had moments like "Let him die!!!" about an uninsured person not being able to get medical treatment or GOP audience members booing a gay soldier or cheering the execution of a man whose conviction might have been questionable.

The problem isn't the debate format, it is the mean-spiritedness of a lot of the GOP base.

No, they are trying to proactively eliminate true conservative candidates.

A good rule of thumb in our present political climate, if the RNC is for it, conservatives should run away from it. Rove & Co. want the status quo of statism, just with the GOP at the helm instead the DNC. On one side, a shit sandwich, and on the other side, a kick in the balls.

Wake up.

For entertainment purposes, all moderators should have to be subject to a conservative means testing so that only real conservatives get to question the candidates.

Anne, Rush and Beck.

Fer sure.

They'd try to "out-conservative" each other.

It'd be awesome.

Anne, Rush and Beck.

Fer sure.

They'd try to "out-conservative" each other.

It'd be awesome.

As opposed to now where they try to "out democrat-lite" each other from loaded questions by biased moderators.

Remember when the Democrats had Hannity, Limbaugh and Levin moderate their primaries?

Forum List

Back