Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

They're trying. More and more fast food places are implementing self-service kiosks here in California. I don't blame them either.

I so doubt that this is due to the wage increase, shame on them for paying min wage in the state to begin with. The cost of living is high in San Diego, and that is all they make. There comes a time when the worker just needs to say hell with it when the business owners want to get rich off their backs. I bet they do not even cost share health insurance. Self serve, well we all know waitresses do not make min wage.

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.

RUN........

RUN........

Run to a GOP state, like Texas or WI really any in the eastern south if you want to eat out, I bet their food is the same price.

RUN........

Run to a GOP state, like Texas or WI really any in the eastern south if you want to eat out, I bet their food is the same price.

Owning one in GOP Ohio, I think qualifies me to weigh in on the subject. No, the prices are not as high, and the plates are fuller. And the gas it takes to get here, is less expensive. Sorry.
There is a reason why there is a mass exodus from California. They can't get anything right. Oh, and your gas is going to be taxed some more, again... because your cows fart.

retarded.jpg

I think it's hilarious and will benefit Americans... More people will have to start eating home cooked meals.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. When the burger on the menu costs $3.00 to make, the fries cost $1.00 to make, and then you charge $10.99 for the entire meal without a $2.50 drink that costs the owner $0.05 a cup to fill, or tip, that's basically robbery. $13.50 for a meal that costs $4.50 to prepare and then I have to pay the owner's sales tax for him, his employee's wage, and then they still bitch because they're "poor," somehow... Amazing how other companies which pay standard minimum wage or a bit higher aren't "poor" but these "lowly" restaurant owners are. Bull shit.

Restaurants in general of sliding as is all retail because the two newest generations prefer to stay home with their large tv screens, bluray, xbox, computers, iPhone, and ordering everything online from pants to dinner. All companies have been moving to automation for the last 100 years, robots are just getting very dextrous and precise and the software to control them is getting very good.

But cons have this weird bullshit gene where they look for any and all misery and then try to blame 'libruls' for it or Democrats. It's fantasy of course but they live in this bubble of misery.

Conservatives look in the mirror for god's sake you are the whining class of the population now.

RUN........

Owning one in GOP Ohio, I think qualifies me to weigh in on the subject. No, the prices are not as high, and the plates are fuller. And the gas it takes to get here, is less expensive. Sorry.
There is a reason why there is a mass exodus from California. They can't get anything right. Oh, and your gas is going to be taxed some more, again... because your cows fart.

Are you saying the cost of living is as high in Ohio as that in San Diego? I doubt it, and by the way Mi min wage is higher than yours even. WI and Texas are still at 7.25.

Ohio’s Minimum Wage Set to Rise January 1, 2017 and Mandatory Poster
Tuesday, December 27, 2016
As we near the end of 2016, Ohio employers should note that as of January 1, 2017, Ohio’s minimum wage rate will increase by $.05 cents per hour, from $8.10 to $8.15 for non-tipped employees and by $.03 cents per hour, from $4.05 per hour to $4.08 per hour, excluding tips. The increased minimum wage applies to Ohio employers with annual gross receipts exceeding $297,000 per year, which is up from last year’s $288,000 threshold.

Let me just add another example. When I order Papa Johns, I have to pay $10.99 for a cheese pizza, pay the owner's sales tax for him, pay a $3.69 delivery fee, and then tip the driver on top of it (paying the employee's wage for the owner).

$10.99 (pizza) + 0.91 (tax) + $3.69 (delivery fee) + $5.00 (tip) = $20.59 for one fucking pizza. But damn, that pizza shop owner must be poor!!

Restaurants in general of sliding as is all retail because the two newest generations prefer to stay home with their large tv screens, bluray, xbox, computers, iPhone, and ordering everything online from pants to dinner. All companies have been moving to automation for the last 100 years, robots are just getting very dextrous and precise and the software to control them is getting very good.

But cons have this weird bullshit gene where they look for any and all misery and then try to blame 'libruls' for it or Democrats. It's fantasy of course but they live in this bubble of misery.

Conservatives look in the mirror for god's sake you are the whining class of the population now.

It's not a weird bullshit gene, when their is a huge problem caused by Democrats of Unfunded pensions in the billions of dollars.

Let me just add another example. When I order Papa Johns, I have to pay $10.99 for a cheese pizza, pay the owner's sales tax for him, pay a $3.69 delivery fee, and then tip the driver on top of it (paying the employee's wage for the owner).

$10.99 (pizza) + 0.91 (tax) + $3.69 (delivery fee) + $5.00 (tip) = $20.59 for one fucking pizza. But damn, that pizza shop owner must be poor!!

You see him driving a Porsche?

There it is folks, exactly how the left views business owners. They have this bizarre idea that all business owners just need to write bigger checks, and their own personal wealth will cover things.

Fucking amazing.

You see him driving a Porsche?

You're saying if someone doesn't drive a Porche they're poor? I can already see this is the start of a string of retarded posts from you.

There it is folks, exactly how the left views business owners. They have this bizarre idea that all business owners just need to write bigger checks, and their own personal wealth will cover things.

Fucking amazing.

They will when people stop going to their restaurant because the prices are too expensive. Capitalism isn't a left sided mindset.

Forum List

Back