Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

There it is folks, exactly how the left views business owners. They have this bizarre idea that all business owners just need to write bigger checks, and their own personal wealth will cover things.

Fucking amazing.

They will when people stop going to their restaurant because the prices are too expensive. Capitalism isn't a left sided mindset.

Proving how stupid you really are?

How do you get "top poster of the month" with the stupid shit you post?

Raise the prices enough and people will stop going and will start eating at home.

Poor dumb asses like you might...

Again answer my question child do you know what the profit margins for fast food joints are?

Tons, look at McDonalds and BK for example.
What's the actual figures not what you imagine.

The restaurant industry will become so expensive that the low end will be completely automated. Everything will be by machine.

There will still be restaurants with human chefs and servers. These will be highly trained professionals who have gone to school to develop food service careers. They will be highly paid and these restaurants will have prices to match.

Frankly that applies to almost every business- business's will automate everything that they can- automation is going to hit trucking hard- along with warehouse work, and tons of other jobs.

Labor is more expensive than robots- and that applies to all industries.

Let me just add another example. When I order Papa Johns, I have to pay $10.99 for a cheese pizza, pay the owner's sales tax for him, pay a $3.69 delivery fee, and then tip the driver on top of it (paying the employee's wage for the owner).

$10.99 (pizza) + 0.91 (tax) + $3.69 (delivery fee) + $5.00 (tip) = $20.59 for one fucking pizza. But damn, that pizza shop owner must be poor!!
feel free to get off your ass and drive to the pizza place and pick it up.

The restaurant industry will become so expensive that the low end will be completely automated. Everything will be by machine.

There will still be restaurants with human chefs and servers. These will be highly trained professionals who have gone to school to develop food service careers. They will be highly paid and these restaurants will have prices to match.

The "top poster of the month" doesn't understand that the restaurant industry will become way too expensive; thus, people will stop eating out because it'll break their budget. It already costs a pair of people $30 to go out to eat at a restaurant on a weekend night. For a person making $15 an hour, that's an okay price, but add another $10 and it comes to the point where I can just buy groceries instead.

Maybe they should not pass the wage increase on to the consumer. Sooner or later these business owners need to take the hit.

Why do these business owners need to take a hit?

Do they want to close their doors, let them go out of business. There are restaurants all over. Like one poster said, many do take out now.

There it is folks, exactly how the left views business owners. They have this bizarre idea that all business owners just need to write bigger checks, and their own personal wealth will cover things.

Fucking amazing.

They will when people stop going to their restaurant because the prices are too expensive. Capitalism isn't a left sided mindset.

Raise the prices enough and people will stop going and will start eating at home.

Again answer my question child do you know what the profit margins for fast food joints are?

Showing more ignorance are you?

With McDonald's they only own 5% of the stores , the rest are small business owners fool..

So again scared to research the profit margins of fast food restaurants?

With McDonald's they only own 5% of the stores , the rest are small business owners fool..

Yep, guess McDonald's doesn't profit from those stores just because they're owned by a franchisee... Again, I was right, a string of retarded posts by you.

-McDonalds doesn't make huge profits.
-The free market won't eliminate expensive restaurants.
- The owner of the restaurant needs to drive a Porche or else he's considered "poor."

The "top poster of the month" doesn't understand that the restaurant industry will become way too expensive; thus, people will stop eating out because it'll break their budget. It already costs a pair of people $30 to go out to eat at a restaurant on a weekend night. For a person making $15 an hour, that's an okay price, but add another $10 and it comes to the point where I can just buy groceries instead.

Ahhj I hurt you ignorant feelings child?a gain their will still be resteraunts ..

Hell if I will ever cook at home.

Yep, guess McDonald's doesn't profit from those stores just because they're owned by a franchisee... Again, I was right, a string of retarded posts by you.

- The owner of the restaurant needs to drive a Porche or else he's considered "poor."

Once again you moron 82% of McDonald's are owned by small business owners....

So again still scared to find out the slim profit margins ?

Ahhj I hurt you ignorant feelings child?a gain their will still be resteraunts ..

You know what, I'm going to personally message a mod just so you'll never get that kind of "status" ever again. If I show them the stupid shit you post, they'll laugh so hard they'll shit their pants at how you could even be considered a poster of the month.

If the profit margins are as slim as you make them out to be, there wouldn't be any restaurants around. You're just talking out of your ass.

Why not tell us, we are too dumb. Please provide a link as well. Thanks.

About 60% of restaurants fail in the first year. There are other factors at work here, as the articles say, including a tightening of belts all around due to the high cost of living there.
Blaming it all on the increase in minimum wage, which hasn't been fully implemented yet, sounds suspect. I realize there will be an adjustment period when prices go up to cover the payroll increases, but the fact that consumers have more $ to spend will catch up in short order and things will stabilize. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.

You know what, I'm going to personally message a mod just so you'll never get that kind of "status" ever again. If I show them the stupid shit you post, they'll laugh so hard they'll shit their pants at how you could even be considered a poster of the month.
It's only the number of posts Bear made. Are you new here? Don't know what it means?

Here is a example ignoramus..

The Average Profit Margin for a Restaurant

Full-Service Restaurants
Full-service restaurants at all levels spent about 32 percent of each dollar on the cost of food and beverages, 33 percent on salaries and wages, and from 5 percent to 6 percent on restaurant occupancy costs. Profit margins, however, varied according to the cost of the average check per person. Those with checks under $15 showed a profit of 3 percent. Those with checks from $15 to $24.99 boasted the highest profit margin at 3.5 percent. Finally, those with checks of $25 and over had the lowest profits, at 1.8 percent.

If the profit margins are as slim as you make them out to be, there wouldn't be any restaurants around. You're just talking out of your ass.

Told you , you didn't have a god damn clue child....go back to your safe space.

Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

In a pair of affluent coastal California counties, the canary in the mineshaft has gotten splayed, spatchcocked and plated over a bed of unintended consequences, garnished with sprigs of locally sourced economic distortion and non-GMO, “What the heck were they thinking?”

The result of one early experiment in a citywide $15 minimum wage is an ominous sign for the state’s poorer inland counties as the statewide wage floor creeps toward the mark.

Consider San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The cost increases have pushed San Diego restaurants to the brink, Stephen Zolezzi, president of the Food and Beverage Association of San Diego County, told the San Diego Business Journal. Watch for the next mass die-off there...

Luckily, I live in the central coast area between L.A. and San Francisco, so this area hasn't gone as extreme left as those parts of California.
If those restaurants can't pay a fair wage they should go under. People will now go to their competition and the extra business will allow them to pay more.

I'm sick of American small business people blaming liberals because their business model sucks. Or their product.

The excessive cost of eating out and eating badly at that has largely disappeared behind the brand new wall of boxed fine dining. Exact ingredients, step by step instructions and it's a restaurant meal at home. It seems like only a few months ago only Plated and Blue Apron were serving up meals by mail. Now there are dozens.

Here is a example ignoramus..

The Average Profit Margin for a Restaurant

Full-Service Restaurants
Full-service restaurants at all levels spent about 32 percent of each dollar on the cost of food and beverages, 33 percent on salaries and wages, and from 5 percent to 6 percent on restaurant occupancy costs. Profit margins, however, varied according to the cost of the average check per person. Those with checks under $15 showed a profit of 3 percent. Those with checks from $15 to $24.99 boasted the highest profit margin at 3.5 percent. Finally, those with checks of $25 and over had the lowest profits, at 1.8 percent.

Your little link says full service restaurants have an average profit of 3%-3.5% on checks between $15-$25, but then 1.8% on checks over $25. There's no reason for a profit margin to shrink if the check is higher. Your source sucks and is bull shit.

Forum List

Back