Republican Governors Are Kicking The Butts Of Democratic Governors On Covid-19 Response

Population density and warmer climate also appear to have some effect.
I read yesterday that warm weather was not deemed a factor in reducing the spread of Wuhan Virus according to a study by University of Toledo(?).

Not saying it's fact...but that's what I read.
Thanks. Just looking at the numbers and the map, it looks like the south was (in general) hit less hard than the northern states. But maybe warmth has nothing to do with it.
I don't know if I believe it. The evidence seems to contradict the results.

But! There it's a lot of talk about vitimin D. Something people in the South get a lot more of (generally) and that city folks are susceptible to exceedingly low levels of...so there's that.

Population density and warmer climate also appear to have some effect.
I read yesterday that warm weather was not deemed a factor in reducing the spread of Wuhan Virus according to a study by University of Toledo(?).

Not saying it's fact...but that's what I read.
Actually DHS and NIH released a paper that shows COVID-19 dies in about 90 seconds in direct sunlight. So summer time will most certainly slow further spread as long as distancing is done outside. The higher in altitude you go the faster it dies as UV radiaiton is greater as the atmosphere thins. At 6300 feet, above sea level, it kills the virus in about 45 seconds. Density of the atmosphere has a whole lot to do with it.
I'll find that link...it was a strange finding.

Here it is...University of Toronto...not Toledo.

OldLady

Staying indoors weakens your immune system.

Wearing a mask also helps to make you sick.

Exactly, but you're trying to reason with idiots. They cower down in fear. They're wimps, just like the virus.

We found ways to work around things and do it safely.
That's what we did as well...never closed down and found workarounds. It's what we all have to do.

I'm not sure the major metropolitans are going to survive this. If this relatively minor pandemic spurred this reaction...think about what the next one will be like.

With a 99% survival rate trucks still ran to NYC...but how many are coming when it's 85%? At 85% you're at Russian roulette odds. Are you going to pull that trigger...cuz I'm not.
We have food chains that are severely strained right now due to sickness at some processing plants. They all had poor working conditions and I think this will be one area that changes for the better very quickly. If we get below 90% there will be food shortages.

The other things were finding is that many producers are not diverse enough to change their production practices on very short order. Many wholesalers are now expanding their businesses to allow for multiple paths for their foods to be used, ie: milk and milk products. I think you soon see markets that allow cross sales and rapid shifts for continued product use. The meat and milk industries are both learning the hard lessons about having multiple lines so that they do not lose product or its viability. Watching millions of gallons of milk being wasted breaks my heart becasue there are so many who need it.

IF we ever get a virus that kills more than a select few and has the contagion level of this one cities will tear themselves apart when these supply lines fail.

And here is the one for Vitamin D..

Billy_Bob OldLady
Vitamin D changes the Ph level of the blood. It makes it more acidic. The sun does this naturally when it hits the skin and causes evaporation. Its this Ph change that is the reason COVID-19 and other viruses of this type dont do well. Hydroxyclhoroquine does the same thing and the lower Ph keeps the virus from replicating. That is why it has a 91.6% success rate when used early in the virus progression.

Just keep in mind that it was a Republican governor in Texas that shut down all the businesses that were forced to close and forced people to loose their jobs.

Just keep in mind that it was a Republican governor in Texas that shut down all the businesses that were forced to close and forced people to loose their jobs.

They all shut their states down, except South Dakota. The difference is the length of time and the severity of the shut down

reopening some state economies ahead of others could worsen and prolong the spread of the novel coronavirus.

That statement alone defies logic.

The virus needs to run it's course just like every other virus. Staying hidden in your house will prolong that process. You can not lock EVERY SINGLE CITIZEN in a steril environment and without that hiding solves nothing at this point.

Rip the fucking band-aid off and get this shit over with

Last edited:
if we don't count way less populated states like Wyoming, and don't count densely populated areas. and focus on the rest of states & area's to see what happens, could that help give us a clue about how fast to open where & when? looking for practical answers, not political ones.
The fact that these "middle of the road" states have all been marching to their own drummer is going to make that difficult as far as a time line goes. I'm in one of those rural areas that has had a whopping two cases, both recovered, so far. Yet this is a summer tourist area and people travel from places not so lucky. The fact that people in this country travel freely from one place to another, and are doing more so now that things have begun to relax a little, makes it pretty important that everyplace be consistent. But we aren't.

DontTazMeBro was just criticizing Maine for staying so strictly cautious when we have had "only" 64 deaths. But we have had 1400 cases, half in our two most southern most counties. Up here, where the Virus has passed us by, we are READY for an invasion of the Virus. We are masked up, counting heads when we enter a store, schools and restaurants still all closed. Any businesses reopening have strict guidelines to follow, and all hotels/motels and campgrounds are closed to out of staters 'til August at least. Those people from southern Maine have CARS. We don't have our roads blocked off. The whole state needs to be prepared for the same scenario, as big a pain in the ass as it is. I'm beginning to think the whole country should be on one page as well. I could be wrong. It's too soon to tell.

Yep. Thats right. And, they close all the small businesses and keep the big box stores open. If thats not blatant enough unconstitutional decrees, I don't what is then. These small businesses were just as essential.

it matters not that Tx an Cali are far less congested than smaller states like NY - some places in Tx you can drive 100 miles without seeing a town - in NYC you cant swing a cat without hitting your neighbor ...

write that down

That may be a factor, but Connecticut isn’t and it has the third highest rate of deaths. Massachusetts has the fourth highest and it also doesn’t have the density of New York. Plus, the bay area, Los Angeles county, and orange county are pretty crammed with people, not in the same sense of NYC, but still very packed compared to most areas of the country.

Connecticut and Massachusetts are pretty densely populated small states, also that whole area is something of a massive urban corridor and bedroom community to NYC - there is a lot of travel. I think that makes it particularly challenging when it comes to an epidemic.

Map_of_states_showing_population_density_in_2013.svg.png

Our governor (WV) imposed pretty strict lockdowns. We have an extremely low rate and continue to. We are also sparsely populated.

Hmm. Jury is out. Again, talk to me in two or three weeks. Then we can discuss if opening back up was a wise idea.
Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 4 million; more than 2,500 new cases in Florida since reopening Monday

Whether or not you open your state today or two months from now you are going to see new cases. That is an evitable as there is no cure or no vaccine and nobody ever claimed the lockdowns were to prevent new cases. The question is how much collateral damage are you willing to accept by not opening?

The collateral damage is done. Some parts of the economy may never be the same. And I'm not convinced that companies will honor keeping their employees when things wind back up. Until an approved course of treatment and/or a vaccine is developed, the only hope is to keep the virus in check. In other words, a draw. Otherwise, the only place to head is downhill. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.
If my town is any example your negativity is misplaced...stores are ignoring Newsomes order and the tourists are back at the beach this weekend...people are sitting in cars to eat takeout and the boat launches are full....clothing stores have lines of folks waiting to pick up their orders...and the parks are full of folks just taking in the sunshine.....you can't keep the American people down....we always come roaring back and we will this time....

I took population density of each of the 50 states and compared it to the death rate per million people from covid-19.

The Pearson's correlation coefficient is r = 0.713. This indicates a moderate correlation between the state's population density and their mortality rate from this virus. In general, the more densely populated a state is, the more deaths they're going to have. That has nothing to do with politics. The virus spreads faster in a more densely populated state.

Comparing states by their shutdown response doesn't make sense the way they're being compared. If X shuts everything down and Y doesn't shut everything down, and we see more casualties in X, it doesn't indicate that X's response wasn't correct. X's response is largely influenced by the number of infections and deaths they have had while Y's response is largely influenced by their lack of infections and deaths. Comparing X and Y this way is more of a retrospective argument regarding what has happened there, rather than comparing their response strategies. If you wanted to compare their response strategies, you would need to first establish some kind of baseline to see how things have improved or gotten worse from that point. New York, for example, is still terrible but significantly better off than they were a month ago.

liberals exploit the poor and working class, conservatives offer them freedom from exploitation.

that's true here as well, my friends

Forum List

Back