Republican Changing Story About Getting Shot Raises Eyebrows

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
Tim Sheehy, a Montana Republican U.S. Senate candidate, changing his story about being shot has raised eyebrows across social media on Sunday.

Sheehy, a first-time candidate, is a former Navy SEAL who received former President Donald Trump's endorsement back in February as he vies for Democratic Senator Jon Tester's seat. Since launching his campaign, Sheehy has widely shared a story about him being shot while deployed, but there have been inconsistent accounts of the story he has told, according to The Washington Post.

In a campaign video in December, Sheehy cited a gunshot wound he received in combat that he said left a bullet in his right arm as evidence of his toughness. "I got thick skin — though it's not thick enough. I have a bullet stuck in this arm still from Afghanistan," he said.

However, according to a record filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Montana, after a family visit to Montana's Glacier National Park, Sheehy told a National Park Service ranger in October 2015, more than a year after he left active duty, that he accidentally shot himself in the right arm that day when his Colt .45 revolver fell and discharged while he was loading his vehicle in the park.

According to a citation given to the Senate hopeful for illegally discharging his weapon in a national park, the self-inflicted gunshot left a bullet lodged in Sheehy's right forearm. The citation said the description was based on Sheehy's account of events.

So this guy is going around claiming that he was shot in the line of duty in Afghanistan but the reality is that it was a self-inflicted wound? Only in the Republican party. But he is vocal in his support of Trump so there is that.

Tim Sheehy, a Montana Republican U.S. Senate candidate, changing his story about being shot has raised eyebrows across social media on Sunday.

Sheehy, a first-time candidate, is a former Navy SEAL who received former President Donald Trump's endorsement back in February as he vies for Democratic Senator Jon Tester's seat. Since launching his campaign, Sheehy has widely shared a story about him being shot while deployed, but there have been inconsistent accounts of the story he has told, according to The Washington Post.

In a campaign video in December, Sheehy cited a gunshot wound he received in combat that he said left a bullet in his right arm as evidence of his toughness. "I got thick skin — though it's not thick enough. I have a bullet stuck in this arm still from Afghanistan," he said.

However, according to a record filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Montana, after a family visit to Montana's Glacier National Park, Sheehy told a National Park Service ranger in October 2015, more than a year after he left active duty, that he accidentally shot himself in the right arm that day when his Colt .45 revolver fell and discharged while he was loading his vehicle in the park.

According to a citation given to the Senate hopeful for illegally discharging his weapon in a national park, the self-inflicted gunshot left a bullet lodged in Sheehy's right forearm. The citation said the description was based on Sheehy's account of events.

So this guy is going around claiming that he was shot in the line of duty in Afghanistan but the reality is that it was a self-inflicted wound? Only in the Republican party. But he is vocal in his support of Trump so there is that.

i don't know about supporting trump, but "gun safety" does not seem to be an issue among republicans.

What a shame. The guy has enough valor without having to make up more. And telling the story as it happened would be a story of toughness enough. It would have made him human.

Now he needs to man up, own the lie, promise to never do it again, beg for forgiveness, and then move on to his policy differences between him and the Communist candidate, Jon Tester. Let's see if the Navy Seal is truly a man.

I'm curious, though, about the infatuation we have with Navy Seal and Green Berets going into Congress. I'm a veteran who worked and lived (so much so that we shared the same barracks) with Seal Team 1 so I certainly think highly of the Seals and all veterans but being a veteran doesn't always yield a defender of the Constitution in Congress - Dan Crenshaw comes immediately to mind. They are probably no less likely than any other new member of Congress to sell their souls to the deep state for support and protection for reelection.

Do we risk having a Congress not that understands and protects the liberty that they risked their lives to defend when they were in the service but, instead, a Congress full of authoritarians dedicated to the development of the military-industrial complex and perpetual war to spread American values globally?

Forum List

Back