Rent: I don't know why there's no revolution right now

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
A young guy in his 20's came up to me at work today and said "can I ask you a question?"

I said "what?"

He said "is everyone paying 2 grand per month for rent?"

I said "?I know, I've been watching prices, everything is screwed"

He tried to find a lower rent apartment, they told him there will be an open-house for one hour, in the middle of the day and he better be there if he wants to see it.

He said "I figured out I need to make about 70 grand per year, how to people eat?"

-------------

I was talking to my Democrat dad, and he said " these people think they'll be moving out of their apartment soon, but their not"

(He doesn't care, doesn't bother him, he doesn't like to see anyone do better than him, he's a Democrat)

-----------

A news report said there were very few "starter houses" in Los Angeles.

What's a "started house"?

A starter house is a small house you over pay for, because you have some fantasy you'll buy a bigger one someday.

fk a "starter house"

In our neck of the woods...most of the home owners live in Los Angeles but own homes here too. They rent to college students. 500 bucks PER HEAD. And it can be a 3 bedroom house, for example. With bunk beds in each room. That is 1000 bucks PER ROOM if they just have one set of bunk beds. Sometimes they cram 2 sets in there. Multiply 500 per head times 12 and you get...MOOLA. And students pay it, too. Or rather, mommy and daddy do. They don't mind bunking with others in the same room, either. Kinda like a dorm, but more freedom.

THAT is why rents are so high. The rich getting richer.

A young guy in his 20's came up to me at work today and said "can I ask you a question?"

I said "what?"

He tried to find a lower rent apartment, they told him there will be an open-house for one hour, in the middle of the day and he better be there if he wants to see it.

He said "I figured out I need to make about 70 grand per year, how to people eat?"

-------------

I was talking to my Democrat dad, and he said " these people think they'll be moving out of their apartment soon, but their not"

(He doesn't care, doesn't bother him, he doesn't like to see anyone do better than him, he's a Democrat)

-----------

A starter house is a small house you over pay for, because you have some fantasy you'll buy a bigger one someday.

fk a "starter house"
Because all the older conservatives/liberals have diverted rebelion into anitiracim.

I said "what?"

-------------

-----------

fk a "starter house"
Blank Title - Home

Only party worth being a member of.

Look how fly our party leader is.

rtxtli8-e1375462367584.jpg

I said "what?"

-------------

-----------

fk a "starter house"

What I recommend is forming teams where people buy houses and land, rent them out, and invest
in building and buying more property until you can manage apts, campuses and even whole districts or cities.

You will never be equal by giving your money to other people to control the property and rules you live under.
I would recommend to all candidates and parties to start identifying sites to manage as school campuses
and programs to teach the general population how to manage rental houses and businesses.

Plans for community campuses for sustainable education, jobs and housing
came out of my district that was seeking cost effective ways to restore historic property:
http://www.houstonprogressive.org
I envision replicating these plans in every city and across the border:
Earned Amnesty
This can be done by organizing by civic or business associations,
churches and schools, govt and nonprofit in every community to
develop plans for local ownership and representation in self-government.

What I recommend is forming teams where people buy houses and land, rent them out, and invest
in building and buying more property until you can manage apts, campuses and even whole districts or cities.

Good Thinking here, however isn't this pretty much what REITs provide already? Sounds like what you are proposing is a REIT with more direct local community involvement or am I reading your proposal incorrectly?

I will never ever get why the poor and middle class vote against their pocket book.

Its insane to vote for democrats.

Good Thinking here, however isn't this pretty much what REITs provide already? Sounds like what you are proposing is a REIT with more direct local community involvement or am I reading your proposal incorrectly?

Smart NightFox
One business man in my district DID say the REIT model was the best way to do this.
Another person suggested a TIRZ (taxing zone set up through the city under governing boards).

I was thinking to set it up as a campus as under a private nonprofit, church, school or LLC.

I am guessing each community that wanted to invest in buying out the land to
incorporate as a school (or their own city) might approach this differently, depending
who owns what in their district.

In my district, there are churches that generally do not relate to any business model
that gets too complicated, and would only understand church or nonprofit ownership
of property under a school program, in conjunction with but not controlled by govt.
(Since so many millions in tax dollars have been wasted and owed by govt for
destroying national historic landmarks, this is a special case where I have
recommended reimbursing taxpayers that money by investing loans or credits
into the restoration plans for the remaining landmarks combined as a campus.)

If govt is still in charge of the district, I guess that's where the REIT would work.

Where districts like mine may be better off incorporating as an independent
entity (perhaps on the level of Native American reservations under tribal
administrations directly through federal agreements and not local govt),
then I'd recommend the local management decide that democratically
and may even design their own system of representative govt.
(Again the historic district where I live is unique in that it was founded
as a church and business district by Freed Slaves who were not
citizens at the time, and thus operated more like Native tribes,
managing their own settlement and resources, before the govt took land
away by political force using eminent domain I would ask to be reversed.)

If communities can work with their local police and public schools,
businesses and incorporate or work with local govt to be as self-governing
and self-reliant as possible, that's the point. To teach that level of
equal responsibility and representation.

In districts like mine, a higher level of liberation and autonomy may be
needed to ensure equal rights and protections of law are established.
Whatever works! Go for it!

I will never ever get why the poor and middle class vote against their pocket book.

Its insane to vote for democrats.

Dear bear513 I think those voters want the Democrats to do all the work through govt. But what may happen instead is that Democrats do the work to manage social programs through the Party (that AGREES on the same principles and goals for funding and managed by elected positions) and use that structure to organize representation and resources (instead of trying to push it through govt where people don't agree on funding and policies).

I don't know why people rent if they can buy, even buying for less. Lots of landlords are cheap and see it as a cash cow. But another aspect is that renters often beat the shit out of the unit and a total makeover is needed when they move out, and it might take three months rent free to get them out legally.

I don't know why people rent if they can buy, even buying for less.

Er.. We're all renters, if you don't believe that try not paying your rent to the government (aka taxes) and see what happens to the property you think you own.

Not to mention that in many cases the total cost of renting a property is less than buying one.

I said "what?"

-------------

-----------

fk a "starter house"

I'm renting out our old home for 1k a month. Middle sized rust belt city.

I don't know why people rent if they can buy, even buying for less.

Er.. We're all renters, if you don't believe that try not paying your rent to the government (aka taxes) and see what happens to the property you think you own.

Not to mention that in many cases the total cost of renting a property is less than buying one.
Property taxes are a cost of living in a society with roads, fire, police, etc. services. You pay that as a renter too, it's just figured in so it's a non issue. If it's cheaper to rent I can see doing so for a while, and I sure have. But you gain zero equity. Plus, I paid my mortgage off and live debt free.

I don't know why people rent if they can buy, even buying for less. Lots of landlords are cheap and see it as a cash cow. But another aspect is that renters often beat the shit out of the unit and a total makeover is needed when they move out, and it might take three months rent free to get them out legally.

A lot of people can't get mortgages.

Or have zero job security and don't want to build up a little equity, just to lose it.

Or are intimidated by all the paperwork.

Or live in places where you don't WANT to own the property.

A lot of people can't get mortgages.

Or have zero job security and don't want to build up a little equity, just to lose it.

Or are intimidated by all the paperwork.

Or live in places where you don't WANT to own the property.
That's why I said "if they can buy" , I rented until I was in my 40s so I know the routine.

Forum List

Back