Rent: I don't know why there's no revolution right now

Plenty of apartments, and some whole houses, available in my area, upstate NY, for $1000/mo or less.

Tough commute to your job in China though.

I don't know why people rent if they can buy, even buying for less. Lots of landlords are cheap and see it as a cash cow. But another aspect is that renters often beat the shit out of the unit and a total makeover is needed when they move out, and it might take three months rent free to get them out legally.

A lot of people can't get mortgages.

Or have zero job security and don't want to build up a little equity, just to lose it.

Or are intimidated by all the paperwork.

Or live in places where you don't WANT to own the property.
That's why I said "if they can buy" , I rented until I was in my 40s so I know the routine.

Oops. Missed that.:redface:

There are tons of vacant properties because the owners are asking ridiculous rent. Is Crazy Bernie going to attack the landlords, his people, who make the minimum wage meaningless since there is no way a minimum wage could cover rent in a safe area, without afro and lateenos.

I don't know why people rent if they can buy, even buying for less.

Er.. We're all renters, if you don't believe that try not paying your rent to the government (aka taxes) and see what happens to the property you think you own.

Not to mention that in many cases the total cost of renting a property is less than buying one.
Property taxes are a cost of living in a society with roads, fire, police, etc. services.
Except for the fact that those services are not based on a voluntary value proposition and non-payment results in the forfeiture of the property you think you own. If for example the police protection is shitty or way over priced the home "owner" isn't given the option to look elsewhere for alternatives, and it's not just local taxes, if you refuse to pay federal taxes (for whatever reason) the IRS can seize that property you think you own as well.

The alternative is; if you refuse to pay for said public services than you do not receive said public services thus decoupling property ownership from the consequences of making rational economic decisions with respect to "public" services which are often low quality and high priced.

You pay that as a renter too, it's just figured in so it's a non issue.
Completely beside the point, the point I was making is that in reality everyone is a "renter" to one degree or another, those that rent private property are decoupled from the risk that comes with "owning" that property (e.g. RE market downturns, catastrophic loss due to fire, floods, etc.., government seizure, etc..,).

If it's cheaper to rent I can see doing so for a while, and I sure have. But you gain zero equity. Plus, I paid my mortgage off and live debt free.
Equity is the major reason to buy, unless of course you bought high and the market has punished you by putting you into a negative equity position (which happened to many buyers in 2008) , or you find yourself in a deflationary environment during the mortgage term which has a significantly detrimental effect on your mortgage costs as well as the value of your property.

Er.. We're all renters, if you don't believe that try not paying your rent to the government (aka taxes) and see what happens to the property you think you own.

Not to mention that in many cases the total cost of renting a property is less than buying one.
Property taxes are a cost of living in a society with roads, fire, police, etc. services.
Except for the fact that those services are not based on a voluntary value proposition and non-payment results in the forfeiture of the property you think you own. If for example the police protection is shitty or way over priced the home "owner" isn't given the option to look elsewhere for alternatives, and it's not just local taxes, if you refuse to pay federal taxes (for whatever reason) the IRS can seize that property you think you own as well.

The alternative is; if you refuse to pay for said public services than you do not receive said public services thus decoupling property ownership from the consequences of making rational economic decisions with respect to "public" services which are often low quality and high priced.

You pay that as a renter too, it's just figured in so it's a non issue.
Completely beside the point, the point I was making is that in reality everyone is a "renter" to one degree or another, those that rent private property are decoupled from the risk that comes with "owning" that property (e.g. RE market downturns, catastrophic loss due to fire, floods, etc.., government seizure, etc..,).

If it's cheaper to rent I can see doing so for a while, and I sure have. But you gain zero equity. Plus, I paid my mortgage off and live debt free.
Equity is the major reason to buy, unless of course you bought high and the market has punished you by putting you into a negative equity position (which happened to many buyers in 2008) , or you find yourself in a deflationary environment during the mortgage term which has a significantly detrimental effect on your mortgage costs as well as the value of your property.
If you rent or buy in the same area you have the same service so your point is moot. The words renting and owning have meaning. Your feeble attempt to fuse them makes no sense. Paying property tax isn't renting. It's part of home ownership. You are entitled to your own personal lexicon but I don't share it, along with everybody else. I bought my house and payed it off 20 years ahead of schedule while the bubble busted so I fail to understand your point. Do people make bad decisions? Yes. What's that got to do with anything?

I will never ever get why the poor and middle class vote against their pocket book.

Its insane to vote for democrats.

How's does voting Republican lower the rent?
Lowered taxes.

You want lower taxes with 18 trillion in debt on the books and half a trillion a year being added?
When did I say that? The voices lie to you. I'm not a liberal so I don't support spending like a blithering idiot.

The words renting and owning have meaning.
Yes they do, owning means that you cannot have said property lawfully (as well as ethically and morally) taken away by force, if some external entity can legally take away your property by force then YOU DON'T OWN IT, you are renting it from that external entity and are only allowed to utilize said property at the sufferance (and under the conditions specified by) of said external entity. Personally I hope that you are not subjected to having that property you think you own seized by government but the possibility certainly exists that it will be and then you will understand perfectly why you never really "owned" it in the first place.

Your feeble attempt to fuse them makes no sense. Paying property tax isn't renting. It's part of home ownership.
Only because the questions regarding the reality of the situation go against your ingrained biases, You don't question the status quo because you've been conditioned not to and thus think there are no alternatives to it.

I bought my house and payed it off 20 years ahead of schedule while the bubble busted so I fail to understand your point. Do people make bad decisions? Yes. What's that got to do with anything?

Good for you, however those that weren't so lucky made those "bad decisions" based on a speculative bubble that was in large part fomented by idiotic fiscal and monetary policy decisions made by government officials whose salaries they were paying, so the attraction of equity in the home buying decision was a red herring brought about by government and central bank manipulation of the marketplace resulting in buyers getting spurious price signals.

The 2008 *pop* demonstrates that equity is not always an attractive value proposition for buying since that equity can end up being negative equity based on factors which are beyond what the buyer can reasonably be expected to understand and which he/she has absolutely no control over.

Yes they do, owning means that you cannot have said property lawfully (as well as ethically and morally) taken away by force, if some external entity can legally take away your property by force then YOU DON'T OWN IT, you are renting it from that external entity and are only allowed to utilize said property at the sufferance (and under the conditions specified by) of said external entity. Personally I hope that you are not subjected to having that property you think you own seized by government but the possibility certainly exists that it will be and then you will understand perfectly why you never really "owned" it in the first place.

Your feeble attempt to fuse them makes no sense. Paying property tax isn't renting. It's part of home ownership.
Only because the questions regarding the reality of the situation go against your ingrained biases, You don't question the status quo because you've been conditioned not to and thus think there are no alternatives to it.

I bought my house and payed it off 20 years ahead of schedule while the bubble busted so I fail to understand your point. Do people make bad decisions? Yes. What's that got to do with anything?

Good for you, however those that weren't so lucky made those "bad decisions" based on a speculative bubble that was in large part fomented by idiotic fiscal and monetary policy decisions made by government officials whose salaries they were paying, so the attraction of equity in the home buying decision was a red herring brought about by government and central bank manipulation of the marketplace resulting in buyers getting spurious price signals.

The 2008 *pop* demonstrates that equity is not always an attractive value proposition for buying since that equity can end up being negative equity based on factors which are beyond what the buyer can reasonably be expected to understand and which he/she has absolutely no control over.
I use the words like the rest of the planet. I own my property, with or without your approval. People even use the term when the bank still holds the mortgage. When we want to communicate with one another it's important to use their language. When someone says there is no private property ownership then you distant yourself from them. Get weird looks and people shy away from you.

People got greedy so I don't blame it on government. They bought homes they could barely afford and many of them went house flipping to make a big haul. Like I said I was there then and payed my house off well ahead of time. Same market. Same government. And not making a lot of money either, I just chose to spend wisely.

Housing prices are relatively cheap and mortgage rates are low
Prime time to buy a house

But kids just out of college like the OP are not looking to settle down and buy that first house. They have a decade of college debts to pay off and most have shaky credit. They also have no job security and can't be sure they will be able to make payments for the next 30 years

So the rental market is flooded with those who can't qualify to buy or are not financially secure

I use the words like the rest of the planet. I own my property, with or without your approval. People even use the term when the bank still holds the mortgage. When we want to communicate with one another it's important to use their language. When someone says there is no private property ownership then you distant yourself from them. Get weird looks and people shy away from you.
Just because You (along with some others) don't understand the realities of the situation (like saying you own something when in fact you don't) doesn't alter reality in the least bit, alas you apparently don't possess the capacity to look beyond the surface of the question so there's no point in even attempting to have any sort of reason and evidence based discussion with you about it. Again I just hope you don't find yourself in situation where you actually have to find out how subordinated your claims of "ownership" really are.

People got greedy so I don't blame it on government.
This is the typical economic illiteracy of the common sheeple, you don't understand the role of fiscal and monetary policy in market manipulation and the detrimental effects on peoples economic decisions so you pretend it doesn't exist, it's no wonder that there's no accountability in government and that the U.S. economy is so structurally unsound.

:popcorn:

Property taxes are a cost of living in a society with roads, fire, police, etc. services. You pay that as a renter too, it's just figured in so it's a non issue. If it's cheaper to rent I can see doing so for a while, and I sure have. But you gain zero equity. Plus, I paid my mortgage off and live debt free.

Whenever their is a choice between compassion and government the statist always take the side of the government. Do me a favor and go fuck yourself you uncompassionate whore.

I didn't know I had to pay an entrance fee to become a member of society. Let say I stop paying that does this mean that the rules no long apply since I am no longer a member of that society.

Just because You (along with some others) don't understand the realities of the situation (like saying you own something when in fact you don't) doesn't alter reality in the least bit, alas you apparently don't possess the capacity to look beyond the surface of the question so there's no point in even attempting to have any sort of reason and evidence based discussion with you about it. Again I just hope you don't find yourself in situation where you actually have to find out how subordinated your claims of "ownership" really are.

People got greedy so I don't blame it on government.
This is the typical economic illiteracy of the common sheeple, you don't understand the role of fiscal and monetary policy in market manipulation and the detrimental effects on peoples economic decisions so you pretend it doesn't exist, it's no wonder that there's no accountability in government and that the U.S. economy is so structurally unsound.

:popcorn:
I understand reality just fine. Any normal person understands I own my own home and wouldn't understand me renting it from the government because I pay property tax.

I spend conservatively and do/did well, have had a business now for over 30 years, own my own home, payed it off 20 plus years early and I'm an economic illiterate?

You are a dingbat.

Property taxes are a cost of living in a society with roads, fire, police, etc. services. You pay that as a renter too, it's just figured in so it's a non issue. If it's cheaper to rent I can see doing so for a while, and I sure have. But you gain zero equity. Plus, I paid my mortgage off and live debt free.

Whenever their is a choice between compassion and government the statist always take the side of the government. Do me a favor and go fuck yourself you uncompassionate whore.

I didn't know I had to pay an entrance fee to become a member of society. Let say I stop paying that does this mean that the rules no long apply since I am no longer a member of that society.
I have no clue as to what you are even frothing over about.

Forum List

Back