Renewables made up 92% of new generating capacity in the U.S. in the first half of 2021

abu afak

ALLAH SNACKBAR!
Mar 3, 2006

Renewables made up 92% of new generating capacity in the U.S. in the first half of 2021​

[...]"...data recently released by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)...

FERC’s latest monthly “Energy Infrastructure Update” report (with data through June 30, 2021) reveals that renewable energy sources accounted for 91.6% – or 10,940 megawatts (MW) – of the 11,940 MW of new capacity added during the first six months of the year. Wind led the capacity additions with 5,617 MW, followed closely by solar (5,279 MW). Further, wind and solar were the only sources of new capacity additions in June 2021.

Renewables now provide more than a quarter (25.1%) of total U.S. available installed generating capacity. A year ago, their share was only 23.0%. Wind is now more than a tenth (10.4%) of the nation’s generating capacity while utility-scale solar is nearly five percent (4.9%) … and that does not include distributed (e.g., rooftop) solar.

Moreover, FERC data suggest that renewables’ share of generating capacity is on track to increase significantly over the next three years (i.e., by June 2024). “High probability” generation capacity additions for wind, minus anticipated retirements, reflect a projected net increase of 21,129 MW while solar is foreseen growing by 44,385 MW. By comparison, net growth for natural gas will be only 13,241 MW. Thus, wind and solar combined are forecast to provide roughly five times more new net generating capacity than natural gas over the next three years.

If these numbers materialize, by June 2024, renewable energy generating capacity should account for almost 30 percent (29.4%) of the nation’s total available installed generating capacity.

`

Last edited:
1640448955259.png

~S~

Worldwide:

...Global renewable energy capacity additions in 2020 beat earlier estimates and all previous records despite the economic slowdown that resulted from the COVID-19 pandemic. According to data released today by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) the world added more than 260 gigawatts (GW) of renewable energy capacity last year, exceeding expansion in 2019 by close to 50%.

IRENA’s annual Renewable Capacity Statistics 2021 shows that renewable energy’s share of all new generating capacity rose considerably for the second year in a row. More than 80% of all new electricity capacity added last year was renewable, with solar and wind accounting for 91% of new renewables.

Renewables’ rising share of the total is partly attributable to net decommissioning of fossil fuel power generation in Europe, North America and for the first time across Eurasia
(Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Russian Federation and Turkey). Total fossil fuel additions fell to 60 GW in 2020 from 64 GW the previous year highlighting a continued downward trend of fossil fuel expansion....

`

Phony numbers created by Biden shutting down fossil fuel related energy production. Also nuclear needs to be part of future power generation, neither Party talks about it.
It's been that way for a while
How about 2/3 in 2016?

Global Investment in Wind and Solar Energy Is Outshining Fossil Fuels
In 2016, about $297 billion was spent on renewables—compared with $143 billion on new nuclear, coal, gas and fuel-oil power plants,

By Russell Gold - Wall Street Journal
June 11, 2018

Global Investment in Wind and Solar Energy Is Outshining Fossil Fuels

`

Renewables made up 92% of new generating capacity in the U.S. in the first half of 2021
At what cost?

I work in an Engineering and Mapping function fit a large New England electric utility company. I see exactly how much of this stuff is coming online. It’s a massive amount… at extreme cost to the solar providers and to us. Who do you think the costs will be passed on to?

More importantly, in my mind at least, is the potential safety and reliability of the system which is in many cases being reduced by these new installations.

This is NOT a utopian situation in any way.

At what cost?

I work in an Engineering and Mapping function fit a large New England electric utility company. I see exactly how much of this stuff is coming online. It’s a massive amount… at extreme cost to the solar providers and to us. Who do you think the costs will be passed on to?

More importantly, in my mind at least, is the potential safety and reliability of the system which is in many cases being reduced by these new installations.

This is NOT a utopian situation in any way.
You haven't made a Cost comparison for us.
So as yet you have NO case.
The alternative is much less livable.
What's the cost of moving everyone on the planet inland a mile and losing cities?
IAC:

Solar is now ‘Cheapest Electricity in History’, confirms IEA​

"The world’s best solar power schemes now offer the “cheapest…electricity in history” with the technology cheaper than coal and gas in most major countries.

That is according to the International Energy Agency’s World Energy Outlook 2020. The 464-page outlook, published today by the IEA, also outlines the “extraordinarily turbulent” impact of coronavirus and the “highly uncertain” future of global energy use over the next two decades....."

`

The alternative is much less livable.
What's the cost of moving everyone on the planet inland a mile and losing cities?
You are making two arguments that do t move me… cost and future situations. I’ll be dead long before either argument truly reaches its zenith.

My main concerns are the safety and reliability of the current electric grid. Neither of those concerns are hrr we lord by the massive, uncoordinated and chaotic additions of Gigiwatts of Generation to a system that was already behind in maintenance.

You are making two arguments that do t move me… cost and future situations. I’ll be dead long before either argument truly reaches its zenith.

My main concerns are the safety and reliability of the current electric grid. Neither of those concerns are hrr we lord by the massive, uncoordinated and chaotic additions of Gigiwatts of Generation to a system that was already behind in maintenance.
1. Obviously we can't wait for either situation to "reach it's zenith" before acting.
The process will take many decades in both cases.

2. I also worry about the safety of the CURRENT grid.
I have no doubt Putin could shut half the country down in 10 minutes.

`

Imagine three times the substations.....on the same lines.....~S~

You are absolutely correct concerning the maintenance. So why no maintenance and infrastructure? And who is presently doing their best to prevent any money going out for maintenance and new infrastructure on our grid?

Forum List

Back