Remembering Muhammad Ali: Greatest Rebel Of All Time

The Great Muhammad Ali was born on January 17th and today we honor his memory, and what he stood for.

Never backing down from a worthy fight and never compromising your principles.

America is better for birthing him, and at a deficit, since having lost him.

May he continue to rest in peace and in power.

Nobody is perfect. Had 2 problems with Ali and no it was not avoiding the draft. While sports is competitive and gets heated but Ali's treatment of Joe Fraizer was way out of bounds. And here is the other reason.
Ali had stood in alliance with the Ku Klux Klan, having attended one of their rallies. In the 2008 HBO documentary Thrilla in Manila, Ali describes the rally, complete with white hoods and a burning cross, where he stood on the platform, preaching racial segregation. "Black people should marry their own women," Ali shouted. "Bluebirds with bluebirds, red birds with red birds, pigeons with pigeons, eagles with eagles. God didn't make no mistake!"

In a 1975, interview with Playboy Magazine, Ali even went as far as to say, "A black man should be killed if he's messing with a white woman." The same went for white men hitting on black women. "We'll kill anybody who tries to mess around with our women," Ali insisted. According to the National Constitution Center's website, however, Ali is "a champion of freedom who embodies everything the award was established to honor: individuals of courage and conviction who strive to secure the blessings of liberty to people around the globe."

He mellowed in his later years but the KKK bit he was not called to account for.

Nobody is perfect. Had 2 problems with Ali and no it was not avoiding the draft. While sports is competitive and gets heated but Ali's treatment of Joe Fraizer was way out of bounds. And here is the other reason.
Ali had stood in alliance with the Ku Klux Klan, having attended one of their rallies. In the 2008 HBO documentary Thrilla in Manila, Ali describes the rally, complete with white hoods and a burning cross, where he stood on the platform, preaching racial segregation. "Black people should marry their own women," Ali shouted. "Bluebirds with bluebirds, red birds with red birds, pigeons with pigeons, eagles with eagles. God didn't make no mistake!"

In a 1975, interview with Playboy Magazine, Ali even went as far as to say, "A black man should be killed if he's messing with a white woman." The same went for white men hitting on black women. "We'll kill anybody who tries to mess around with our women," Ali insisted. According to the National Constitution Center's website, however, Ali is "a champion of freedom who embodies everything the award was established to honor: individuals of courage and conviction who strive to secure the blessings of liberty to people around the globe."

He mellowed in his later years but the KKK bit he was not called to account for.
Do you agree that that was a response to racism in America?

Do you have a quote and a link to prove that?
There isn't one in existence, because if there was, it would have been made public long ago.

I had the privilege of sitting and talking to Ali earlier in his career in the 70's, and again after he retired.

After he passed away in 2016, I even spoke to his personal biographer, Howard Bingham, who by then had become a close friend of my family, stated that what he didn't do during his prime, was to take a passive, turn the other cheek approach like Joe Louis.

During an era when he was hated far more by America in general than any other athlete in history, he spoke publicly about his beliefs without fear.

Bingham himself stated that one of Ali's proudest moments in later years was lighting the Olympic torch at the 1996 Games.

Not exactly a subject for the history forum. It might have been trendy back then but not many black sports celebs embrace the Muslem religion these days. Maybe Clay was really a coward who changed his name and religion to beat the draft.

Not exactly a subject for the history forum. It might have been trendy back then but not many black sports celebs embrace the Muslem religion these days. Maybe Clay was really a coward who changed his name and religion to beat the draft.
Anybody that embraced the Nation of Islam (Black Muslims) was a piece of shit.

The shithead was as racist as they come.

Anybody that embraced the Nation of Islam (Black Muslims) was a piece of shit.

The shithead was as racist as they come.
You have some real nerve. The reason he joined the Nation was because of racists like you.

“I can say for sure that happens because I did it. Before retirement, I was an Engineer. For the last 20 years of my career, I was a Manager and Director and I hired hundreds of people. I reviewed well over a thousand resumes for all kinds of positions. Everything from Secretaries to Engineering Managers. Both Salary and Hourly. I always culled out the resumes with Black Ethnic names. Never shortlisted anybody with a Black Ethnic name. Never hired them.” Since the Fortune 50 company I worked for had a stupid “affirmative action” hiring policies I never mentioned it to anybody and I always got away with it. A couple of times I was instructed to improve my departmental “diversity” demographics but I always ignored it and never got into any trouble. My stereotype is that anybody with a stupid ghetto Black ethnic name is probably worthless. I could have been wrong a couple of times but I was also probably right 99% of the time. Glad I did it. I would do it again.”

The Great Muhammad Ali was born on January 17th and today we honor his memory, and what he stood for.

Never backing down from a worthy fight and never compromising your principles.

America is better for birthing him, and at a deficit, since having lost him.

May he continue to rest in peace and in power.

You must not be from Michigan. I liked the dude, but people from Michigan hate him for some reason.
Whatever they may think, he was a great fighting tactician. Had talent, was well trained, and knew what he was doing.

There are quite a few black athletes who are Muslims. Go walk up to Shaq and call him a coward and see what you get. Ali didn't have to change religion to beat anything.

There are quite a few black athletes who are Muslims. Go walk up to Shaq and call him a coward and see what you get. Ali didn't have to change religion to beat anything.
Is Shaq a Muslim, moron? I used to party with his cousin. I'll give Shaq he takes care of his family.
I think he's a Florida black man, whatcha think of that? PS: Who the fuck invented a 100 round .22 pistol that sucks on accuracy?
Sorry, that's just what I remember from back in them days.

For you white people talking stupid, Alii was right not to go fight to free Vietnamese when Blacks were not free here.
Oh, OK. :rolleyes-41:
How much skin was that off of his nose?

Forum List

Back