Religiosity without Faith

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Can an argument be made for Religiosity, in the absence of Faith? SHOULD that argument be advanced by so-called "People of Faith" in our society?

In my view, the generations that followed the Boomers have developed a neurotic and irrational need to be "all in" on things. Ask them why they are 35 years old an unmarried, and they respond, "I haven't met my soul mate yet," or words to that effect. Ask them if they expect to retire from their employer in 40 years and they recoil in horror because they don't know what they want to do for the rest of their lives.

As for religion, they feel like (and I used those words pointedly) they cannot commit to a religion unless they have rock solid faith in not only the religious tenets of a faith, but also absolute trust in the organization (if any) that nurtures that faith, e.g., the Catholic Church.

But this is a sophomoric view. NOBODY has rock-solid faith all the time, and especially those who claim that they do. Faith is like romantic love; it comes and goes. But as with marital love, one must live as though it were present all the time, otherwise it is pointless and futile. It is generally well-known that there are observant, religious jews who either don't believe in God or are agnostic. And yet they still believe that there is value in living the life advised by the Torah - acting AS THOUGH they were firm believers.

This is not "hypocrisy," but rather a mature approach to reality.

In our world, where we are surrounded by Evil, one must look to find those factors that promote virtuosity, whether it is a belief, an organization, a philosophy or an ethnicity. I personally may think that the religion of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young is theologically nonsense, but I admire the Latter Day Saints for being law abiding, resourceful, and contributing to our society in any number of tangible and intangible ways.

Many of my fellow Roman Catholics have abandoned the Faith because of the child abuse scandal(s), but is that rational, or on a personal level, a good thing to do? Where do you go from there? If you go to nothing, then you have done yourself and everyone around you a disservice. And it gives the impression that you really left because you had other things you wanted to do with your Sunday mornings, and principle had nothing to do with it.

Religiosity is the opposite of evil, regardless of where it originates. Certainly, there are zealots in every religion whose overall impact is negative, but for the most part it IS justifiable to be religious (and to raise a religious family) whether you are a True Believer or not. Because the absence of religiosity fosters evil. It fosters a culture that doesn't know where it needs to go. A culture that's not sure how many genders there are, that doesn't know why abortion is evil, and so on.

Be religious. Faith can come later, or not at all.

I see what you are saying, but at the same time, I have this scripture in the back of my mind.

3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

I would agree that adhering to Biblical principles will help anyone in life have a better life. In fact, statistics show that those who are religious live longer and are happier. But at the same time, why are we here? Is it just to have a good life for ourselves, or is it something more? If it is something more, then we miss the mark entirely.

All nothing more than vast generalizations. There are millions married by 35 and many would be happy to retire after working at one company if it actually provided enough for a sustainable living.

Now do many have less "faith" in the church? Probably so. After seeing the Catholic church cover up years of abuse and so many others become little more than the arms of a political party that would be understandable.

All nothing more than vast generalizations. There are millions married by 35 and many would be happy to retire after working at one company if it actually provided enough for a sustainable living.

Now do many have less "faith" in the church? Probably so. After seeing the Catholic church cover up years of abuse and so many others become little more than the arms of a political party that would be understandable.
Christ took out a whip in his church, and declared many of it's leaders hypocrites.

But he never turned his back on the church, rather, he fought for it as he later made the claim he would build his future church via Peter.

Faith is belief.

You have faith that Jesus is God.

If you have faith, you're already religious.

Faith is belief.

You have faith that Jesus is God.

If you have faith, you're already religious.
You are religious as well. Leftists believe that government is their savior, the only hope for humanity that is destroying the world.

Climate change, world overpopulation, and Covid in their view is destroying the planet and only the democrat party can save us.

saying that you are a believer but not putting it into practice is bullshit. Religion must be a communal thing.

Where do you go from there? If you go to nothing, then you have done yourself and everyone around you a disservice.
Note the government shut down churches. We can tell people need rules/ideals. It appears we traded the rule/ideal of Keeping the Lord's Day Holy with Wear a Mask and Get Vaxxed. Which choice makes one feel the most righteous may say a lot--i.e., following government commands over God's commands.

Can an argument be made for Religiosity, in the absence of Faith? SHOULD that argument be advanced by so-called "People of Faith" in our society?

In my view, the generations that followed the Boomers have developed a neurotic and irrational need to be "all in" on things. Ask them why they are 35 years old an unmarried, and they respond, "I haven't met my soul mate yet," or words to that effect. Ask them if they expect to retire from their employer in 40 years and they recoil in horror because they don't know what they want to do for the rest of their lives.

As for religion, they feel like (and I used those words pointedly) they cannot commit to a religion unless they have rock solid faith in not only the religious tenets of a faith, but also absolute trust in the organization (if any) that nurtures that faith, e.g., the Catholic Church.

But this is a sophomoric view. NOBODY has rock-solid faith all the time, and especially those who claim that they do. Faith is like romantic love; it comes and goes. But as with marital love, one must live as though it were present all the time, otherwise it is pointless and futile. It is generally well-known that there are observant, religious jews who either don't believe in God or are agnostic. And yet they still believe that there is value in living the life advised by the Torah - acting AS THOUGH they were firm believers.

This is not "hypocrisy," but rather a mature approach to reality.

In our world, where we are surrounded by Evil, one must look to find those factors that promote virtuosity, whether it is a belief, an organization, a philosophy or an ethnicity. I personally may think that the religion of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young is theologically nonsense, but I admire the Latter Day Saints for being law abiding, resourceful, and contributing to our society in any number of tangible and intangible ways.

Many of my fellow Roman Catholics have abandoned the Faith because of the child abuse scandal(s), but is that rational, or on a personal level, a good thing to do? Where do you go from there? If you go to nothing, then you have done yourself and everyone around you a disservice. And it gives the impression that you really left because you had other things you wanted to do with your Sunday mornings, and principle had nothing to do with it.

Religiosity is the opposite of evil, regardless of where it originates. Certainly, there are zealots in every religion whose overall impact is negative, but for the most part it IS justifiable to be religious (and to raise a religious family) whether you are a True Believer or not. Because the absence of religiosity fosters evil. It fosters a culture that doesn't know where it needs to go. A culture that's not sure how many genders there are, that doesn't know why abortion is evil, and so on.

Be religious. Faith can come later, or not at all.
People are realising the myths and lies peddled by religion. I find it a blight on society that rational human beings still bieve there's a god.
That's the crux of it. There is no God so why was your time with religion.

Forum List

Back