Religion and Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Zone 2": All other forums not specified as Zone 1 or Zone 3: This will apply to the vast majority of the board.: Baiting and polarizing OP's (Opening Posts), and thread titles risk the thread either being moved or trashed
Baiting and polarizing opening post and thread titles are textbook politics, classic political discourse. I come to this forum to enjoy opening posts and thread titles that are baiting and polarizing. We are fortunate to have many righties and many commies here who post such beautiful trolling.

I am a Christian, and I stand behind the atheists and commies who bombard religious threads, since religion and politics are the same thing to them. If I want to be surrounded by civilized Christians I'll go to church. I come here to read about politics.

since religion and politics are the same thing to them.

If politics and religion were the same thing, we wouldn't have 2 different forums.
They could be, but not on a political board. Atheists and commies will be crapping on religious threads as long as they are posted on political forum sites, and I will never report them. I'll never agree with them either, but religious threads on political boards are fair game for political attacks. Mods will be busy till the end of time if they try to interfere with the language of politics on a political discussion site.

They could be, but not on a political board.

to the contrary, they are, and are treated differently.
The way to deal with lefty commie atheists who "troll" religious threads is to let righties and Christians troll them back. Sweet political discourse. Let the mods clean up the spam bot accounts, and let the political enemies debate.

So, you're all for discussing Politics in Sports, Religion in the TV forum, Health and Lifestyle in Computers, etc?

Why bother having any forums?

Just have one, General Discussion, and view the melee?
Seems to be how things work now, except the political forum is more of a batshit crazy accusation forum as it exists.

"Zone 2": All other forums not specified as Zone 1 or Zone 3: This will apply to the vast majority of the board.: Baiting and polarizing OP's (Opening Posts), and thread titles risk the thread either being moved or trashed
Baiting and polarizing opening post and thread titles are textbook politics, classic political discourse. I come to this forum to enjoy opening posts and thread titles that are baiting and polarizing. We are fortunate to have many righties and many commies here who post such beautiful trolling.

I am a Christian, and I stand behind the atheists and commies who bombard religious threads, since religion and politics are the same thing to them. If I want to be surrounded by civilized Christians I'll go to church. I come here to read about politics.

If politics and religion were the same thing, we wouldn't have 2 different forums.
They could be, but not on a political board. Atheists and commies will be crapping on religious threads as long as they are posted on political forum sites, and I will never report them. I'll never agree with them either, but religious threads on political boards are fair game for political attacks. Mods will be busy till the end of time if they try to interfere with the language of politics on a political discussion site.

The way to deal with lefty commie atheists who "troll" religious threads is to let righties and Christians troll them back. Sweet political discourse. Let the mods clean up the spam bot accounts, and let the political enemies debate.

So, you're all for discussing Politics in Sports, Religion in the TV forum, Health and Lifestyle in Computers, etc?

Fallacy. I have only discussed religion and politics sections. Are you having a hard time understanding that righties and lefties are based on completely different religious values?

Are you having a hard time understanding that righties and lefties are based on completely different religious values?

Are you having a hard time understanding that religion belongs in Religion and Ethics, and politics belongs in Politics?
There is a time and a place for each, and plenty of crossover. I'd actually enjoy a religion discussion area that was civilized and mature, and I have seen several members make admirable attempts at making it so. If there is equal access for commie atheists though, I understand that all bets are off. Commie atheists and righty Christians won't be getting along any time soon, so we should expect some very ugly discourse. Trolling. Natural political discourse.

Seems to be how things work now, except the political forum is more of a batshit crazy accusation forum as it exists.
I hang out on an unmoderated forum sometimes, and it isn't as bad as many might suspect. The mods keep up with cleaning up the spam bot accounts, and people post what they want to post. Lots of honest trolling, very little OCD thread categorizing and moving. That place has its problems like most sites do, but censorship and OCD thread categorizing aren't on the list.

It has been fun reading and agreeing with so many of your posts on this thread, in spite of being on opposite sides of the aisle. Keep up the great posts.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
Let's Examine the Claims of Atheists

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021
Let's Examine Claims of Atheists

The Fallacy of Science vs. Religion

The atheists' frequent claim that science and religion are mutually exclusive is demonstrably false. If atheists were as "rational" and "intelligent" as they are always claiming, they would not resort to mendacity. Science pursues truth.

The list of scientists as men and women faith is long and growing.

List of Christians in science and technology - Wikipedia

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”
” - Demon Haunted World, page 29, by Carl Sagan

“I believe in God more because of science than in spite of it.” – William Phillips, Nobel Laureate in Physics

and more in post one

=====

I am an Atheist, shall I ignore the hard nasty bashing made by a religionist?
IMO, threads like those belong in forums where bashing is authorized, aka Zone 3.

but for atheists, and assholes, (notice how I separate them), there is no place for them trolling in R&E.
I completely understand. You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it. Who could possibly find fault with that?

You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it.
IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs.
You don't see that claiming anyone who doesn't share their belief is deserving of hell as an insult? Really?

Did you NOT read my post?

" IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs. "

Can you imagine a religious discussion by Christians that didn't mention their only goal, which is an eternity in heaven to the exclusion of all that don't share their beliefs? No I can't either. Perhaps a private, invitation only thread where you don't have to allow any differences of opinion, but if you have an open discussion, it has to be open to even those that don't fall in line.
??? I know lots of liberal Christians who value inclusion and not judging.
I think the problem is those types may not have time to spare arguing with people who aren't going to change their minds.
The ones who bother to argue are the ones who like to argue!
I don't blame Christianity or religion.
Plenty of believers don't do that.
Yet plenty of believers do. The OP seems to think non believers shouldn't have a right to say they disagree.

The OP seems to think non believers shouldn't have a right to say they disagree.

They have the right to disagree.

In Zone 1, they wouldn't have the right to troll.

(just how hard is that to understand?)
Who decides what is trolling? You? Taz?

Some beaureaucrat in Washington?

Trolling is not difficult to see.

If you are making no contribution to the topic, and attacking the subject, you are trolling. It is NOT the same has having a different view or opinion.

Poster 1. Only those who have accepted the lord Jesus Christ as their personal savior will be saved, and all others deserve to suffer throughout eternity in great anguish, because they chose evil.
Poster 2. You're full of shit. If that is what your imaginary sky fairy told you, he's full of shit too. You are free to believe what you want, but don't expect me too not disagree.

Which is the troll?
As a Christian who forgives why people reject and why they say it with emotions anger or blame attached, I read the response as expressing "No, I don't believe or understand any of that. It makes no sense to me. Thus, I call it BS and think you and all other religionists are pushing some weird BS that has abused and manipulated people collectively."

This person is projecting their personal issues and using the post or poster as the target for expressing collective grievances.

As long as the Poster addresses the topic, of Christian fairh, I can still answer and ask what they do or do not believe about justice, peace, forgiveness etc.

I can still use what they posted to ask about their own experiences and why they don't get the message in Christianity but only see the opposite.

BULLDOG
Just because someone posts a baiting or trolling post with charged collective statements to pick a fight
Doesn't mean we have to respond that way.

I find it more effective to respond to the meaning or what objections the person is expressing. We can start from there
and still discuss points that are relevant.

If they continue to troll or have no other intent but to troll or incite, they will bow out.
And usually another person who is serious or curious will chime in and pick up if the other person quits out of disinterest.

So you weed out trolls by sticking to the process of discussing what or why do people believe or not and what they think it means which causes the rejection.
Interesting, but not what is actually being said, or even exists in reality. The main tenant of Christianity is that you, and only you are deserving of a wonderful eternity, while all others are not, because they have chosen evil. Makes no difference if you believe in the wonderful sky playground, but accusing others of choosing evil is an insult, no matter how you might try to frame it. I will agree that historically Christianity has claimed justice, peace, forgiveness, etc. as some of their main goals, but we both see that is not the case in today's world. The historical Jesus would be aghast at the behavior of some of your most vocal cheerleaders, and your ilk gives them a pass while still claiming those who don't share your fervor are evil. What kind of response do you expect?
We preach a standard that is higher than any of us will ever live up to.

Making Religion Zone 1 wouldn't necessarily stop "trolling" if, by that, trolling is defined as atheists speaking up and I sometimes think for some it is.

But it would encourage civilized behavior on issues that tend to become heated.

I find religion a fascinating topic regardless of one's belief, but it is hard to get a respectful discussion. One option is to open such in the CDZ.

Making Religion Zone 1 wouldn't necessarily stop "trolling" if, by that, trolling is defined as atheists speaking up and I sometimes think for some it is.

I find religion a fascinating topic regardless of one's belief, but it is hard to get a respectful discussion. One option is to open such in the CDZ.
I partially agree with you, but if we really want to see the most HONEST religion discussion on a political board, just have the mods leave it alone. Yep, it will get ugly, but it will be as honest as it can ever be on a political site. After the dust settles the novelty will wear off and it will just be a religion section. If anybody really wants a nice civilized religion discussion, there are real religion forums out there.

Fallacy. I have only discussed religion and politics sections. Are you having a hard time understanding that righties and lefties are based on completely different religious values?
Well said, Yup There are no Christians that support Trump. The idea is ridiculous , you can't select the devil as your leader and call yourself a christian.

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

The atheists' frequent claim that science and religion are mutually exclusive is demonstrably false. If atheists were as "rational" and "intelligent" as they are always claiming, they would not resort to mendacity. Science pursues truth.

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”

“I believe in God more because of science than in spite of it.” – William Phillips, Nobel Laureate in Physics

and more in post one

=====

Dont see that as Atheist bashing. I see it as a valid discussion topic.. I have no issue with the assertion that science and religion are not mutually exclusive.. And if you take umbrage at that assertion -- clearly, you should debate why those 2 things are mutually exclusive. Faith and Science can coexist.. If fact 80% of theoretical physics or psychology is largely based on faith not really evidence. So there ya go -- discuss it if you can -- if ya cant -- dont wreck it for others.

Now POLITICS and science SHOULD BE mutually exclusive -- but increasingly, we have a "patronage" problem in funding that forces them together...

Well said, Yup There are no Christians that support Trump. The idea is ridiculous , you can't select the devil as your leader and call yourself a christian.
This is some great trolling, kinda like a random dart thrown at me out of spite because of my support for Trump and my Christian values. Well placed, it blended in seamlessly with the thread. Almost had as much value as posting something of merit.

Is there a possibility of moving Religious and Ethics to Zone one?

I'm tired of chasing down trolls that only want to bash religion.

I'm in favor of moving MANY forums to Zone 1.. That's doesn't necessarily make LESS work for moderators -- in fact, by definition, it may require more mod effort.. But -- when you touch those "3rd rail" topics -- it's gonna get ugly on USMB or at the Thanksgiving table with Uncle Joe...

Biggest issue with Religion forum is that Oposters will select an innocent and very specific religious tenet and bible verse and immediately there are 2 or 4 bashers showing up with posts about G-D is fake and you're an idiot.. That's never really "on topic"..

It's for people who are discussing their beliefs. Beliefs are like science theories that haven't been proven or tested but STILL are a valid attempt at a moral structure and religious discipline and there ought to be ONE SMALL SPACE on USMB where folks can discuss this without getting their topics constantly wrecked by folks NOT DISCUSSING THE SPECIFIC TOPIC..

Can we not expect agnostics and atheists to allow that to happen? Probably most of them will. The others immediately pile on to repeat the same belittling and taunts that kills most threads there.

Even Gardening or Pets can be that way.. And none of these forums should ever get personal -- so I can think of more than 1/2 dozen that should be moderated at Zone 1 level.. Bring it up in Mod Room -- page me in...

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

Dont see that as Atheist bashing. I see it as a valid discussion topic.. I have no issue with the assertion that science and religion are not mutually exclusive.. And if you take umbrage at that assertion -- clearly, you should debate why those 2 things are mutually exclusive. Faith and Science can coexist.. If fact 80% of theoretical physics or psychology is largely based on faith not really evidence. So there ya go -- discuss it if you can -- if ya cant -- dont wreck it for others.

Now POLITICS and science SHOULD BE mutually exclusive -- but increasingly, we have a "patronage" problem in funding that forces them together...

But what I posted was about Bible INTERNAL errors and contradictions, Science isn't needed at all to defend or attack it.

The man I replied very civilly put me on ignore after he made his reply in return at post 105 in reply post 60 ,that was quite angry, and paternalistic my reply after that gets completely ignored after I made a fool of him over his foolish errors POST 146.

When a man runs away so fast with his faith under challenge is a sign that he has doubts to fight off, by putting me on ignore he "saves" himself from further erosion of his faith.

I am not impressed.

I partially agree with you, but if we really want to see the most HONEST religion discussion on a political board, just have the mods leave it alone. Yep, it will get ugly, but it will be as honest as it can ever be on a political site. After the dust settles the novelty will wear off and it will just be a religion section. If anybody really wants a nice civilized religion discussion, there are real religion forums out there.

Folks just dont want the SAME OLE battles in multiple (or every) thread. That's why the USMB rules are written for TOPIC CONTROL -- not CONTENT CONTROL... So anyone can pick a specific topic and all the moderators have to do is keep that thread UNIQUE and on topic..

Nobody would ever read thru a forum where the discussion immediately degrades to GroundHog Day level of personal accusations and abuse...

That -- never "wears off".. It changes the whole tone and readability of the boards if we allowed an epic "showdown".. Thread after thread after thread...

But what I posted was about Bible INTERNAL errors and contradictions, Science isn't needed at all to defend or attack it.

Let's get a grip here. If you take the Bible as face value as being a couple millenia old and compare its' "errors and contradictions" to the STATE OF SCIENCE at 0 BC (BCE) -- is a tie...

If its that important for you to DOMINATE these threads on "facts and evidence" -- at least stay on the SPECIFIC TOPIC of that thread.. So if the topic is a Verse from Matthew -- give it everything you KNOW about the "Book of Matthew".. This is how USMB rolls.. Or is supposed to roll and not crash/burn...

I'm an atheist. I ran into other alleged atheists that wanted desperately to hijack my thread and make it about what they wanted to because they assumed I was Christian. These people are most certainly not comparable to Hitchens or any of the other greats that could even make an argument. Again, I'm saying that as an atheist and there were several things stated that even though I agreed in part it wasn't the topic of the thread. These people were there specifically to disrespect someone else.

Every thread is a shitfest.

I know that chem engineer is full of crap. So...I don't respond. If there is a "why atheists blah dee blah blah blah" in the title then I'm leaving. It's not my job to correct someone's religious views. I also don't want to get locked into a go nowhere argument with an imbecile that won't end.

Should there be an Atheist forum? Because there's no manual or scriptures or tenets of atheism. The "shitfest" is because of the polarization about AFFILIATION AND ASSOCIATION.. Not because atheists dont have moral backbone. They just dont want the DISCIPLINE and HUMILITY that organized religion requires. And that lack of humility is vested in a strong predilection towards "secular humanism" which in itself is quite problematic in maintaining freedom and tolerance when men/women are individually the judges of morals and beliefs,

Not picking another shitfest here.. Want to know what you think we do to separate the irreconcilable differences. MYSELF -- I dont want to be in a society that places ANY man or woman as the ultimate arbiter of right and wrong.. It's that old saying about you overcome being a "non-believer" for certain in prison or a concentration camp...

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

IMO, threads like those belong in forums where bashing is authorized, aka Zone 3.

but for atheists, and assholes, (notice how I separate them), there is no place for them trolling in R&E.
I completely understand. You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it. Who could possibly find fault with that?

You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it.
IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs.
You don't see that claiming anyone who doesn't share their belief is deserving of hell as an insult? Really?

Did you NOT read my post?

" IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs. "

Can you imagine a religious discussion by Christians that didn't mention their only goal, which is an eternity in heaven to the exclusion of all that don't share their beliefs? No I can't either. Perhaps a private, invitation only thread where you don't have to allow any differences of opinion, but if you have an open discussion, it has to be open to even those that don't fall in line.

Not as tho there aint political sects that mock and want to EXCLUDE people of faith from the discussion..

As a spiritual but not truly religious person, I see no diff in the PROSTELYZING efforts of atheists or people of faith. And it's particularly brutal when either religion or atheism takes on the approval of a political wing.

Let's get a grip here. If you take the Bible as face value as being a couple millenia old and compare its' "errors and contradictions" to the STATE OF SCIENCE at 0 BC (BCE) -- is a tie...

If its that important for you to DOMINATE these threads on "facts and evidence" -- at least stay on the SPECIFIC TOPIC of that thread.. So if the topic is a Verse from Matthew -- give it everything you KNOW about the "Book of Matthew".. This is how USMB rolls.. Or is supposed to roll and not crash/burn...

But religious people claim the bible is from god it even make that claim in the NT.

Oh dear, I hardly visit the religion forum at all, you can see that for yourself, I mostly responded in just TWO main threads that had religionists attack Atheists in some way. If you read how they reply to my posts, it becomes clear that they get mad fast even when I am being rather mild about it. Chem Engineer put me on ignore so fast BECAUSE of his rapid running from debate:

Here is his last words to me before he ran away....

"YOU cite the weakness of ONE MAN and marvel at it? That's rich considering that God often chose weak men to do His tasks. Jesus was betrayed by one of His chosen disciples.

Jesus challenges God the Father, "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me."

There is much that we do not understand. While you godless atheists proclaim your obeisance to "science," research in science continues the world over at a frenetic pace, for the sole reason that humans seek truth, the Latin word for which is "scientia."

And so now, giggly Tommy, I have answered each and every one of your pretentious, ignorant questions thoroughly and I will add you to my Ignore List.

ciao brutto"

=====

Like I say he ran away so quickly.....

Last edited:
So....just to set the record straight...is USmessageboard a political forum only and just happens to have other forums of other topics a side note?

Secondly, why is it so damn hard to AVOID threads you (the following yous are "general you", not one specific person) don't agree with, like religion? Do you stomp into a church and tell the parishoners they are idiots? One would hope not. It's rude. And hateful. WHY is it so hard to let like minded people discuss their faith in peace?

flacaltenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back