Religion and Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a possibility of moving Religious and Ethics to Zone one?

I'm tired of chasing down trolls that only want to bash religion.

A Forum I created over a year ago, that was one of the forum blocks I set up in the protected area, did that in a forum I created about 8 years ago too, again to prevent a lot trolling attacks on Religious threads. This forum should do the same thing, then any non religious folks will have to be civil and be on topic or get quickly moderated.

Thus support your suggestion of moving Religion and Ethics to Zone One.

:cool:

Let's Examine the Claims of Atheists

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021
Let's Examine Claims of Atheists

The Fallacy of Science vs. Religion

The atheists' frequent claim that science and religion are mutually exclusive is demonstrably false. If atheists were as "rational" and "intelligent" as they are always claiming, they would not resort to mendacity. Science pursues truth.

The list of scientists as men and women faith is long and growing.

List of Christians in science and technology - Wikipedia

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”
” - Demon Haunted World, page 29, by Carl Sagan

“I believe in God more because of science than in spite of it.” – William Phillips, Nobel Laureate in Physics

and more in post one

=====

I am an Atheist, shall I ignore the hard nasty bashing made by a religionist?

Dont see that as Atheist bashing. I see it as a valid discussion topic.. I have no issue with the assertion that science and religion are not mutually exclusive.. And if you take umbrage at that assertion -- clearly, you should debate why those 2 things are mutually exclusive. Faith and Science can coexist.. If fact 80% of theoretical physics or psychology is largely based on faith not really evidence. So there ya go -- discuss it if you can -- if ya cant -- dont wreck it for others.

Now POLITICS and science SHOULD BE mutually exclusive -- but increasingly, we have a "patronage" problem in funding that forces them together...
One went through the process of reason and was defined as probable, the other went through the process and flunked the logic test. That's the reality of all religions. Fact, some of the nicest people are atheist and have a higher standard of morality through logic then they can find through religion. Religion has merit churches have almost none.

I respect the morality of logic over the morality of religion any day. I'm a Christian and the only way I can be one is if I interpret the writings of Christianity myself because 95% of what others define christian beliefs as, is ugly to me. I only believe in what Christ said and did. Example, you can't support the right wing of 2021 and still be considered a christian.

I could easily click on a thread from some obscure subforum here without even knowing what subforum it is in.
Ditto! I hit New Posts....and have no clue where I wind up, lol. Which is why I not only have a direct link to USMB front page...I have a second one that goes directly to The Coffee Shop.

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

The atheists' frequent claim that science and religion are mutually exclusive is demonstrably false. If atheists were as "rational" and "intelligent" as they are always claiming, they would not resort to mendacity. Science pursues truth.

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”

“I believe in God more because of science than in spite of it.” – William Phillips, Nobel Laureate in Physics

and more in post one

=====

Dont see that as Atheist bashing. I see it as a valid discussion topic.. I have no issue with the assertion that science and religion are not mutually exclusive.. And if you take umbrage at that assertion -- clearly, you should debate why those 2 things are mutually exclusive. Faith and Science can coexist.. If fact 80% of theoretical physics or psychology is largely based on faith not really evidence. So there ya go -- discuss it if you can -- if ya cant -- dont wreck it for others.

Now POLITICS and science SHOULD BE mutually exclusive -- but increasingly, we have a "patronage" problem in funding that forces them together...
One went through the process of reason and was defined as probable, the other went through the process and flunked the logic test. That's the reality of all religions. Fact, some of the nicest people are atheist and have a higher standard of morality through logic then they can find through religion. Religion has merit churches have almost none.

One went through the process of reason and was defined as probable, the other went through the process and flunked the logic test.

Faith is like love.

Logic not required

I respect the morality of logic over the morality of religion any day. I'm a Christian and the only way I can be one is if I interpret the writings of Christianity myself because 95% of what others define christian beliefs as, is ugly to me. I only believe in what Christ said and did. Example, you can't support the right wing of 2021 and still be considered a christian.
Being a Christian who hates Christianity as this oxymoron you describe yourself as makes you valuable to this great community of trolling, flaming, and debating. Without commie atheists, this place would just be a boring civilized discussion forum. Thanks for being here!

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

One went through the process of reason and was defined as probable, the other went through the process and flunked the logic test.

Faith is like love.

Logic not required
No one is denying that but it just as easily can make it nonsense for people looking at it and people who except their intelligence generally will go with the logic. So again ,One went through the process of reason and was defined as probable, the other went through the process and flunked the logic test.

Being a Christian who hates Christianity as this oxymoron you describe yourself as makes you valuable to this great community of trolling, flaming, and debating. Without commie atheists, this place would just be a boring civilized discussion forum. Thanks for being here!
Nope I don't fit in your package. I love my Christianity but can hate your Christianity. Its the church that I find poison usually. I do appreciate your welcome though.

Nope I don't fit in your package. I love my Christianity but can hate your Christianity. Its the church that I find poison usually. I do appreciate your welcome though.
Wrong! Commie atheists who hate Christianity but claim to be Christian really ARE a great asset to this community of trolling, flaming and other political discussion. This place really would be just a boring civilized discussion board if it weren't for commie atheists who hate Christianity but claim to be Christians. You rock, thanks for being here.

Wrong! Commie atheists who hate Christianity but claim to be Christian really ARE a great asset to this community of trolling, flaming and other political discussion. This place really would be just a boring civilized discussion board if it weren't for commie atheists who hate Christianity but claim to be Christians. You rock, thanks for being here.
You took one big step outside of reality, a symptom of being a bit unhinged which as you say is entertaining but outside the perimeters of logic that I so dearly love. You may be hard to talk with if you can't make more sense then that. I guess like I said I can just look at what you say as comedy and entertainment.

Well said, Yup There are no Christians that support Trump. The idea is ridiculous , you can't select the devil as your leader and call yourself a christian.
This is some great trolling, kinda like a random dart thrown at me out of spite because of my support for Trump and my Christian values. Well placed, it blended in seamlessly with the thread. Almost had as much value as posting something of merit.
Let me see support Trump and have the moxy to make the ridiculous real, by also saying you are a Christian of any sort. Its a OxyMoxy.

Dude..I don't care where you post, when you post, how you post. My point is, IF you do not frequent the religion forum, how the hell do you know if atheists are supposedly being attacked by religious people unless you are lurking in there waiting to pounce.

Again, I ask WHY anyone would enter a thread in a forum they have no interest in except to badger those in there that have a mindset completely different from the opposing non believers who entered to...what? Name call? Defend other non believers?

Your story does not make sense to me. I am not emotional about it either. I am asking WHY. Also, your own emotional little rant in pm to me didn't score you any points either.

Don't do that again. I rarely get pms because I don't want to get involved in backroom bullshit. Thanks in advance for not repeating it.

You are indeed getting emotional and irrational because I just posted the two THREADS I posted in that by TITLE were an attack on Atheism. That is WHY I responded to them, while never even reading the other 99% of the other threads because they don't involved Atheists in the thread titles.

Richard Dawkins and The Ignorance of The New Atheism

and,

Without knowing what you said in THOSE TWO threads, if I saw those threads I would see them as an INVITATION to debate atheists.

These are NOT the sort of subjects most are complaining about. Not me anyway.

The solution is for religious people to stop starting threads for the purpose of attacking Atheists. Then report trolling, off topic replies from non religious people in Religion only threads
Now you make yourself a poor, pathetic victim.

Can you link to threads where we "attack" you? How would you know toure being "attacked"?

Does a bat signal go out to inform you?
There are MANY sub forums I NEVER SEE, because I have no interest in them. How are you made aware of these "attacks"???

The solution is for religious people to stop starting threads for the purpose of attacking Atheists. Then report trolling, off topic replies from non religious people in Religion only threads
Now you make yourself a poor, pathetic victim.

Can you link to threads where we "attack" you? How would you know toure being "attacked"?

Does a bat signal go out to inform you?
There are MANY sub forums I NEVER SEE, because I have no interest in them. How are you made aware of these "attacks"???
I like to attack commie atheists. I do it anytime I see a chance. Commie atheists is what lefties are, and they are destroying the country that I served and love. Whatever thread I see them on in whatever subforum it is, I'll gladly do whatever harm I can do them if I know they are commie atheists. They can and do treat us this way, and they are a national enemy.

I'm an atheist. I ran into other alleged atheists that wanted desperately to hijack my thread and make it about what they wanted to because they assumed I was Christian. These people are most certainly not comparable to Hitchens or any of the other greats that could even make an argument. Again, I'm saying that as an atheist and there were several things stated that even though I agreed in part it wasn't the topic of the thread. These people were there specifically to disrespect someone else.

Every thread is a shitfest.

I know that chem engineer is full of crap. So...I don't respond. If there is a "why atheists blah dee blah blah blah" in the title then I'm leaving. It's not my job to correct someone's religious views. I also don't want to get locked into a go nowhere argument with an imbecile that won't end.

Should there be an Atheist forum? Because there's no manual or scriptures or tenets of atheism. The "shitfest" is because of the polarization about AFFILIATION AND ASSOCIATION.. Not because atheists dont have moral backbone. They just dont want the DISCIPLINE and HUMILITY that organized religion requires. And that lack of humility is vested in a strong predilection towards "secular humanism" which in itself is quite problematic in maintaining freedom and tolerance when men/women are individually the judges of morals and beliefs,

Not picking another shitfest here.. Want to know what you think we do to separate the irreconcilable differences. MYSELF -- I dont want to be in a society that places ANY man or woman as the ultimate arbiter of right and wrong.. It's that old saying about you overcome being a "non-believer" for certain in prison or a concentration camp...
An atheist forum? That would be one dead side show. Once your there, that's kind of it. Noobs rant and rave about being lied to but then it's over. You don't see too many threads hyper focused on atheism started by atheists. When atheists walk into a room, we know some stuff. For example, we don't need religion to tell us what constitutes right action. We do it because it needs to be done or we don't. That's it. Try to put us all in some type of organized group and we start twitching because we recognize it as a an attempt to use us for a political end.

There are atheists posting there that firmly believe religion is the undoing of the world and their mission is to destroy it and they will try at every opportunity. An atheist only forum is not going to be helpful to their cause.

Some people need that religious structure. That's cool. Nothing wrong with it. These people are not movers and shakers. They can't answer for anyone else in the past or in the present. They are just people.

Religious people need to understand that atheism is not equal to communism. That isn't how it works. God is not going to ask you about me and what I have been up to.

Ginsburg: Sometimes you have to be a little deaf.

Agree with you that an Atheist forum is a bad idea as most Atheist's don't want to waste their time starting threads to attack religion, but they WILL enter religious threads that attack Atheists.

The solution is for religious people to stop starting threads for the purpose of attacking Atheists. Then report trolling, off topic replies from non religious people in Religion only threads.

This Country has a first Amendment and long history for religious freedom to worship, that is why you will not see Atheists crashing Church services, but might crash religion only threads because some Atheists can be jerks just like Religious people can be jerks.

Either side can be jerks. Truth.

I'm just going to be honest. I'm an adult. I can see that it's a troll thread from go most of the time. A few years ago we had a poster that was very fervent in her beliefs. I did feel after talking to her over time that there was a fair bit of mental illness going on. It happens.

Sometimes you have to be the bigger person and let that just roll right off. We have never lived in a better time for everyone in the USA whether you are Wiccan, atheist, Jewish or Christian.

No lie though--some trolls start threads that are hysterical and you just gotta jump right in and say, "Hi!"

When atheists walk into a room, we know some stuff. For example, we don't need religion to tell us what constitutes right action. We do it because it needs to be done or we don't. That's it. Try to put us all in some type of organized group and we start twitching because we recognize it as a an attempt to use us for a political end.

Well I realized that there was no atheist moral or ethical code or commitment required and no discipline required to wake up early on Sunday to dress up and commune with the community and renew inspirational goals.. But when "we know some stuff" -- do you all AGREE on that stuff? Do you have the "right course of action" written down anywhere? That's the special fatal flaw in secular humanism which REALLY IS your scripture...

I think it would be a better exercise than than to identify thru a single course of action to mock and belittle people of faith.. Maybe you could use a forum to organize relief drives like the one in my Bible Belt community community where damn near EVERY CHURCH (and there are more of them than fast food joints) were having members load a semi or two in the parking lot that BEAT FEMA down to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina..

And to use EVERY THREAD in Religion, regardless of the topic, to PROSTELYTIZE people of faith into submission, is why that forum is a no mans land... Mind you -- I have no beef with atheists. I'm not religious anymore, but I think it shows cracks in your morals and ethics if belittling people of faith is the ONE AND ONLY thing -- you can all identify with..

And creating an Atheist Forum would set you off because it would be an attempt to "use us for a political end? Not at all. In fact, this whole Bible and Faith cancellation is ALREADY a means for a political end. It's just more of the divisive nature of Leftist politics to SEPARATE allegiances and move POLITICAL allegiance higher in the order of allegiances..

Which brings me to -=--

Some people need that religious structure. That's cool. Nothing wrong with it. These people are not movers and shakers. They can't answer for anyone else in the past or in the present. They are just people.

That's kind of a vapid stereotype aint it? Religious folks are not "movers and shakers"? Name me ONE struggle for civil rights in the Modern era that where religious leaders were NOT at the tip of the spear. There are no religious scientists or community leaders? Bahhh-loney..

"They are just people" -- is my favorite line from secular humanists who believe that MORTAL men and women should be the final authority on your freedom or prosperity or health. This can end quite frequently like I said before with your secular humanist carcass in deep prison crevasse or concentration camp SUDDENLY REALIZING that man is NOT the final arbiter of things to do with freedom and personal autonomy or law....

Religious people need to understand that atheism is not equal to communism. That isn't how it works. God is not going to ask you about me and what I have been up to.

From a guy who DOES BELIEVE in "Natural Law" form of deity, I'll give that Communism is NOT equal to atheism.. But atheism is a vital PREQUISITE for Marxism or Communism.. And that is germane because we now have corporate America and one of two piss poor political parties BEND ASS AND KNEE for self-acknowledged MARXIST inspired organizations. Ask the couple million Uigars locked up in Western China to pick cotton for Nike tennis shoes under abhorrent slave conditions about the existence of Higher Moral Authority than man...

Not here to pick any fight -- but the root of the problem in the Religion forum is that TOLERANCE is apparently NOT in the atheist manuscript. And this pressing need to POUND on the principles of people of faith is not a good look.. MOST of the offenders are no-nothing wannabee comics and just troll the threads with posts about "worshipping the Spaghetti Monster", but some of them are there because I FEAR they hate competition for ideologies...

I'm an atheist. I ran into other alleged atheists that wanted desperately to hijack my thread and make it about what they wanted to because they assumed I was Christian. These people are most certainly not comparable to Hitchens or any of the other greats that could even make an argument. Again, I'm saying that as an atheist and there were several things stated that even though I agreed in part it wasn't the topic of the thread. These people were there specifically to disrespect someone else.

Every thread is a shitfest.

I know that chem engineer is full of crap. So...I don't respond. If there is a "why atheists blah dee blah blah blah" in the title then I'm leaving. It's not my job to correct someone's religious views. I also don't want to get locked into a go nowhere argument with an imbecile that won't end.

Should there be an Atheist forum? Because there's no manual or scriptures or tenets of atheism. The "shitfest" is because of the polarization about AFFILIATION AND ASSOCIATION.. Not because atheists dont have moral backbone. They just dont want the DISCIPLINE and HUMILITY that organized religion requires. And that lack of humility is vested in a strong predilection towards "secular humanism" which in itself is quite problematic in maintaining freedom and tolerance when men/women are individually the judges of morals and beliefs,

Not picking another shitfest here.. Want to know what you think we do to separate the irreconcilable differences. MYSELF -- I dont want to be in a society that places ANY man or woman as the ultimate arbiter of right and wrong.. It's that old saying about you overcome being a "non-believer" for certain in prison or a concentration camp...
An atheist forum? That would be one dead side show. Once your there, that's kind of it. Noobs rant and rave about being lied to but then it's over. You don't see too many threads hyper focused on atheism started by atheists. When atheists walk into a room, we know some stuff. For example, we don't need religion to tell us what constitutes right action. We do it because it needs to be done or we don't. That's it. Try to put us all in some type of organized group and we start twitching because we recognize it as a an attempt to use us for a political end.

There are atheists posting there that firmly believe religion is the undoing of the world and their mission is to destroy it and they will try at every opportunity. An atheist only forum is not going to be helpful to their cause.

Ginsburg: Sometimes you have to be a little deaf.

Agree with you that an Atheist forum is a bad idea as most Atheist's don't want to waste their time starting threads to attack religion, but they WILL enter religious threads that attack Atheists.

The solution is for religious people to stop starting threads for the purpose of attacking Atheists. Then report trolling, off topic replies from non religious people in Religion only threads.

This Country has a first Amendment and long history for religious freedom to worship, that is why you will not see Atheists crashing Church services, but might crash religion only threads because some Atheists can be jerks just like Religious people can be jerks.

Either side can be jerks. Truth.

I'm just going to be honest. I'm an adult. I can see that it's a troll thread from go most of the time. A few years ago we had a poster that was very fervent in her beliefs. I did feel after talking to her over time that there was a fair bit of mental illness going on. It happens.

Sometimes you have to be the bigger person and let that just roll right off. We have never lived in a better time for everyone in the USA whether you are Wiccan, atheist, Jewish or Christian.

No lie though--some trolls start threads that are hysterical and you just gotta jump right in and say, "Hi!"

No penalties ever for setting jerks straight,. If it done by the rules and on topic..

As a spiritual but not truly religious person, I see no diff in the PROSTELYZING efforts of atheists or people of faith.
That after just declaring
there's no manual or scriptures or tenets of atheism.
Amazing mental gymnastics there. Add "They just dont want the DISCIPLINE and HUMILITY that organized religion requires.".. wtf? Must be strong, whatever you're smokin' these days. You were right the first time. Indoctrination is always there on the one hand, not so on the other. The one is always (humbly? lol) pressuring the other to join, conform, be like us! The other just wants the first to mercifully piss off for a change.

Is not going out of your way and weighing in WAY off topic on a thread in Religion by someone with an atheist bent proselytizing? If the goal is to ignore the specific topic and just take a free whack at someone who DOES have a moral ethical codes and conditioning?? Seems to be pretty aggressive and show zero tolerance for DISSENT from the atheist viewpoint..

You atheists (secular humanists) have ALL THE ANSWERS dontcha? Just nothing put in writing that y'all agree on..

If I start a thread about my belief that the traditional teachings about heaven and hell originate from paganism, and my intent is to get "traditional christians" to defend this, AS AN ATHEIST, WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOU INSERTING YOURSELF?
Um, discussion and debate?

Oh.

Right.

My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back