Recreational/medicinal marijuana and guns

Several states have legalized recreational MJ use, several others have legalized medicinal use.

However, as use is still illegal at the federal level, you cannot legally buy a gun if you use MJ for either purpose.

Question for supporters of recreational/medical MJ use:
Since it is legal to use MJ under your state laws, should you be able to legally buy a gun?

Please be sure to explain your response.
There is no rule of law anymore.
If you buy guns, the form only asks if you are an illegal user of weed.
At least that is how I recall it; I do not buy many NIB guns in stores.
This is correct.
People who use recreational/medicinal MJ are using an illegal drug.
Thus, my question: Since it is legal to use MJ under your state laws, should you be able to legally buy a gun?

Several states have legalized recreational MJ use, several others have legalized medicinal use.

However, as use is still illegal at the federal level, you cannot legally buy a gun if you use MJ for either purpose.

Since it is legal to use MJ under your state laws, should you be able to legally buy a gun?
Simply, yes.
Please why you want people who use an illegal drug to be able to buy guns.
It doesn't ask if the drug you use is illegal.
It asks if you are an unlawful user of that drug.
Under federal law, any use of MJ is illegal/unlawful, forcing a "yes" response to 11e, which will deny the purchase.
That it may not be illegal under state law means nothing.
Get some cases of the feds going to Colorado and double checking firearms purchases with legal weed purchases, and prosecuting, and you will have a point.

We have a President threatening Border Patrol agents with loss of jobs and benefits if they enforce existing law Obama has voided by decree, and you are worried about some theoretical pot smoker in Colorado or Washington buying a gun?

Get a fuckin' life.

Why do you want people who use an illegal drug to be able to buy guns?
Once again, I don't care what they call it.
So you don't care that the drug is illegal, you want people who use an illegal drug to bee able to buy a guns.
Impressive.
I do not believe the feds have the right to regulate gun sales, except in the sense that might makes right.

I feel the same about their fuckin' marijuana laws.

This is correct.
Thus, my question: Since it is legal to use MJ under your state laws, should you be able to legally buy a gun?

Simply, yes.
Under federal law, any use of MJ is illegal/unlawful, forcing a "yes" response to 11e, which will deny the purchase.
Get some cases of the feds going to Colorado and double checking firearms purchases with legal weed purchases, and prosecuting, and you will have a point.
None of this is relevant to the issue at hand, and so my point stands - MJ use is illegal and will prevent the legal purchase of a gun.
Do you want people who use an illegal drug to be able to legally buy guns?

So you don't care that the drug is illegal, you want people who use an illegal drug to bee able to buy a guns.
Impressive.
I do not believe the feds have the right to regulate gun sales, except in the sense that might makes right.
I feel the same about their fuckin' marijuana laws.
Ah. So your position has no basis in reality. Understood.

This is correct.

Simply, yes.
None of this is relevant to the issue at hand, and so my point stands - MJ use is illegal and will prevent the legal purchase of a gun.

It will not prevent the legal purchase of a gun.

A person legally using weed in a weed state will write no, nobody will contest the point and the sale will go on.

It happens every day in Colorado, Washington, and yes, even in California with the medical weed.

Illegal is not what is on the books, illegal is what law enforcement enforces.

Obama has made that pretty clear.

But you can declare victory, the thread really bores me now.

Of course. Cannabis users are docile and passive. Alcohol users are more aggressive and violent but that's no disqualifier for purchasing firearms.
Why do you want people who use illegal drugs to be able to buy firearms?

People buy guns who use illegal drugs already. Was just watching a block of "North Woods Law" the other day that showed 3 duck hunters smoking a joint. :)

Impressive.

If they made Tylenol illegal yes, I would support people being able to buy guns on Tylenol too
Tylenol kills more people than weed.

Tylenol and alcohol kill more people that weed and guns.

This is correct.

It will not prevent the legal purchase of a gun.
Checking 11e as "yes" certainly will prevent the legal purchase of a gun
A person legally using weed in a weed state will write no...
And in doing so will be guilty of perjury, under federal law.

And... you didn't answer the question:

Of course. Cannabis users are docile and passive. Alcohol users are more aggressive and violent but that's no disqualifier for purchasing firearms.
Why do you want people who use illegal drugs to be able to buy firearms?

People buy guns who use illegal drugs already. Was just watching a block of "North Woods Law" the other day that showed 3 duck hunters smoking a joint. :)
You do know that your response does not meaningfully address the question, right?

Impressive.

If they made Tylenol illegal yes, I would support people being able to buy guns on Tylenol too
All of which is irrelevant to the topic.

Impressive.

Everything kills more people than weed lol

Impressive.

Impressive.

What is this romper room?

I already said it depends on the EFFECTS OF THE DRUG!!! Call it what you want I'm talking about the EFFECTS IT HAS!!

got it?

Impressive.
I already said it depends on the EFFECTS OF THE DRUG!!! Call it what you want I'm talking about the EFFECTS IT HAS!!
got it?
Yes -- legality does not matter to you, and so you are OK with people who use illegal drugs legally buying guns.

Just curious: are you also OK with non-violent felons buying guns legally?

Impressive.
got it?
Yes -- legality does not matter to you, and so you are OK with people who use illegal drugs legally buying guns.

Yep and restore their voting rights

Impressive.
got it?
Yep and restore their voting rights
So... you support illegal drug users AND felons legally buying guns.
Outstanding!

So... you support illegal drug users AND felons legally buying guns.
Outstanding!

I got no problem with either. Just because one is a felon or a drug user does not mean they will use a firearm to commit a crime any more than just being a member of some political party, race, creed, color or nationality does.

Like our founders, I prefer to punish actions, not maybes.

Forum List

Back