Reasons Why We Should Welcome Syrian Refugees

LL, I have no problem with true refugees entering the US. Thing is, there is no vetting program in place to confirm these folks are not terrorists. In fact, Obama seems determined to avoid any type of vetting. There in lies the problem. Surely you can see the importance of proving a refugee is who he says he is and has no terrorist affiliation or violent past.

Misinformation. All of it.

Really? Then you will be providing a copy of Obama's vetting system and verification that no refugees could possibly be terrorists. Awesome! I await your post.

Stop listening to liars. Thanks.

No proof given, So I will take your advice and stop listening to a liar...YOU.

Excellent contribution. Of great value, as always.

And as always you have nothing real to say in return.

Naturally. Who would dare engage you in a battle of wits? You are a known winner here. I'm intimidated.

And nothing again. Are there not liberal only boards where you could go, since you are not interested in any disagreement?

I would never think of debating you. You are THE masterbater here. Everyone knows it. You are a man of great integrity and sound reasoning. An awesome person in all ways.

I haven't seen you engaging anyone who is to the Right of Che Guevara in anything other that trolling behavior.

So, maybe the problem isn't me...

Of course. I leave all of the consequential discussion to guys like you. You are an incredibly thoughtful person. You always have an open mind. I wish I could be more like you.

LL, I have no problem with true refugees entering the US. Thing is, there is no vetting program in place to confirm these folks are not terrorists. In fact, Obama seems determined to avoid any type of vetting. There in lies the problem. Surely you can see the importance of proving a refugee is who he says he is and has no terrorist affiliation or violent past.

Misinformation. All of it.

Really? Then you will be providing a copy of Obama's vetting system and verification that no refugees could possibly be terrorists. Awesome! I await your post.

Stop listening to liars. Thanks.

No proof given, So I will take your advice and stop listening to a liar...YOU.

Excellent. Ciao!

Naturally. Who would dare engage you in a battle of wits? You are a known winner here. I'm intimidated.

And nothing again. Are there not liberal only boards where you could go, since you are not interested in any disagreement?

I would never think of debating you. You are THE masterbater here. Everyone knows it. You are a man of great integrity and sound reasoning. An awesome person in all ways.

I haven't seen you engaging anyone who is to the Right of Che Guevara in anything other that trolling behavior.

Of course. I leave all of the consequential discussion to guys like you. You are an incredibly thoughtful person. You always have an open mind. I wish I could be more like you.
No, you are just an ignorant, dumbass troll. OBVIOUSLY

I realize that this issue has led to a morass of misinformation and fear mongering.....but I figure there may be a few people who would like to read something that is based on factual info and sound reasoning.

Here it is.

Six Reasons to Welcome Syrian Refugees After Paris | Niskanen Center

The enemy of our enemy is our friend?

There is precedent for America refusing to accept political refugees. Then, the fear was that NAZI's would sneak in with the fleeing Jews. Will we remember our history?
You do not have your Nazi history correct. The Jews aboard the St. Louis were not denied entry because of the fear Nazi's were among them. You merely made that up.

As such, everything else you posted is suspect....as usual.

Why post here when everyone knows you post nothing but partisan foolishness?

Teacher Resources

The United States Department of State

The Department of State was the U.S. government agency most directly responsible for dealing with the refugees seeking to escape Nazi persecution. It had the power to grant visas, formulate refugee policy, and deal with foreign governments and international agencies.

Between 1933 and 1941, as increasing numbers of Jews sought refuge outside of Nazi Germany, American consuls added severe restrictions to the already stringent U.S. visa regulations. With these restrictions, and in its opposition to increasing the number of refugees allowed into the United States under the quota system, the State Department reflected the prevalent public opinion on immigration restrictions.

Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, the U.S. State Department interpreted existing immigration regulations and visa requirements in a highly restrictive manner. Fearing an infiltration of spies and saboteurs among the refugees, and wishing to protect the United States from people they perceived as ethnically and politically undesirable, officials in the State Department raised the barrier to refugees from Europe at precisely the time that they were desperately seeking a safe haven. By the time the United States had entered World War II in December 1941, the State Department had implemented new procedures that identified refugees in German-occupied countries as "enemy aliens" and required them to undergo a new, more extreme examination before being granted a visa. Refugees with "close relatives" living in German-occupied territory were denied entry to the U.S., ostensibly out of fear that they could be blackmailed into working as agents for Germany. By 1941 these policies had effectively prevented most refugees from immigrating to the United States.
Wrong.

Voyage of the St. Louis

Public opinion in the United States, although ostensibly sympathetic to the plight of refugees and critical of Hitler's policies, continued to favor immigration restrictions. The Great Depression had left millions of people in the United States unemployed and fearful of competition for the scarce few jobs available. It also fueled antisemitism, xenophobia, nativism, and isolationism. A Fortune Magazine poll at the time indicated that 83 percent of Americans opposed relaxing restrictions on immigration. President Roosevelt could have issued an executive order to admit the St. Louis refugees, but this general hostility to immigrants, the gains of isolationist Republicans in the Congressional elections of 1938, and Roosevelt's consideration of running for an unprecedented third term as president were among the political considerations that militated against taking this extraordinary step in an unpopular cause.

Roosevelt was not alone in his reluctance to challenge the mood of the nation on the immigration issue. Three months before theSt. Louis sailed, Congressional leaders in both US houses allowed to die in committee a bill sponsored by Senator Robert Wagner (D-N.Y.) and Representative Edith Rogers (R-Mass.). This bill would have admitted 20,000 Jewish children from Germany above the existing quota.

This

6. America should demonstrate moral courage: During World War II, the U.S. turned away Jews due to security concerns. We sent shiploads back to the camps because we were scared that Nazi spies could hide in their midst (which was not an entirely unfounded concern). The lesson of the Holocaust, as I noted here, is that we must deal with threats without rejecting our ethical obligations. We must not send those fleeing persecution back to their persecutors. The definition of moral courage is to resist allowing fear to overwhelm our humanity.

I wouldn't support sending REAL refugees back to be slaughtered, but from a lot of the pictures I've seen there is an abundance of men that either should be resisting and fighting for their homeland or they're jihadists blending into the crowd.

Either way these people do not belong here, and even if just %0.1 are jihadists we are talking about hundreds of people seeking entry into the US.

Aren't you glad these people on the right didn't feel the same way you do? Just think. These assholes with guns showed up with no warning, no visas, no papers and the Samoset people decided to trust them first and ask questions later.

And before you start rattling off 21st century stats about jobs, income, taxes, etc. just remember that the Samosets considered their immediate world AS the only world they knew.

Interview_of_Samoset_with_the_Pilgrims.jpg

I realize that this issue has led to a morass of misinformation and fear mongering.....but I figure there may be a few people who would like to read something that is based on factual info and sound reasoning.

Here it is.

There is precedent for America refusing to accept political refugees. Then, the fear was that NAZI's would sneak in with the fleeing Jews. Will we remember our history?
You do not have your Nazi history correct. The Jews aboard the St. Louis were not denied entry because of the fear Nazi's were among them. You merely made that up.

Another awesome contribution. Kudos!
Oh please stop with your foolishness. Partisan fools like you are responsible for much of the problems in our nation.

The St. Louis was denied entry not because Nazi's were among them dummy, but due to concerns about immigration during the Great Depression and the people wanted immigration halted for a time. Unlike today, politicians then did consider the will of the American people when making decisions.

Of course. You must have written the book on the matter. Well done. Everyone believes you. I especially enjoy your measured tone. You must be pleasant at family dinners.

ISIS doesn't want anyone leaving Syria or any of the war zones.

ISIS wants the west to distrust the Muslims living in the west.

As is usual, when ISIS says "Jump!", American conservatives yell "How high, master?" on the way up. ISIS could not ask for a more supportive group of patsies.

LOL! How silly of me! for a moment when I posted that, I wondered, what if there is some fake Republican like Jake who he can actually relate to and that you could use to show that I was wrong, that you are NOT always a troll to anyone to the RIght of Che.

But I decided to go out on a limb.

YOu did not disappoint.

My mind is a lot more open than yours ever was or ever will be. Ditto on the Thought Person too.

Here it is.

Teacher Resources

The Department of State was the U.S. government agency most directly responsible for dealing with the refugees seeking to escape Nazi persecution. It had the power to grant visas, formulate refugee policy, and deal with foreign governments and international agencies.

Between 1933 and 1941, as increasing numbers of Jews sought refuge outside of Nazi Germany, American consuls added severe restrictions to the already stringent U.S. visa regulations. With these restrictions, and in its opposition to increasing the number of refugees allowed into the United States under the quota system, the State Department reflected the prevalent public opinion on immigration restrictions.

Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, the U.S. State Department interpreted existing immigration regulations and visa requirements in a highly restrictive manner. Fearing an infiltration of spies and saboteurs among the refugees, and wishing to protect the United States from people they perceived as ethnically and politically undesirable, officials in the State Department raised the barrier to refugees from Europe at precisely the time that they were desperately seeking a safe haven. By the time the United States had entered World War II in December 1941, the State Department had implemented new procedures that identified refugees in German-occupied countries as "enemy aliens" and required them to undergo a new, more extreme examination before being granted a visa. Refugees with "close relatives" living in German-occupied territory were denied entry to the U.S., ostensibly out of fear that they could be blackmailed into working as agents for Germany. By 1941 these policies had effectively prevented most refugees from immigrating to the United States.

Oh.....that's just BS from the elite liberal revision of American history.

Here it is.

Teacher Resources

Wrong.

Voyage of the St. Louis

Public opinion in the United States, although ostensibly sympathetic to the plight of refugees and critical of Hitler's policies, continued to favor immigration restrictions. The Great Depression had left millions of people in the United States unemployed and fearful of competition for the scarce few jobs available. It also fueled antisemitism, xenophobia, nativism, and isolationism. A Fortune Magazine poll at the time indicated that 83 percent of Americans opposed relaxing restrictions on immigration. President Roosevelt could have issued an executive order to admit the St. Louis refugees, but this general hostility to immigrants, the gains of isolationist Republicans in the Congressional elections of 1938, and Roosevelt's consideration of running for an unprecedented third term as president were among the political considerations that militated against taking this extraordinary step in an unpopular cause.

Roosevelt was not alone in his reluctance to challenge the mood of the nation on the immigration issue. Three months before theSt. Louis sailed, Congressional leaders in both US houses allowed to die in committee a bill sponsored by Senator Robert Wagner (D-N.Y.) and Representative Edith Rogers (R-Mass.). This bill would have admitted 20,000 Jewish children from Germany above the existing quota.

No. Right. Many factors went into the determinations for immigrants and quotas including what I quoted.

The OP was not specifically about the St. Louis, though you seemed to jump right to that. Fears of Communist and Nazi inflitrators and the wide-spread opinion that East European Jews were "undesirables" led to the development of strict quotas that turned refused entry to many Jewish refugees.

This

6. America should demonstrate moral courage: During World War II, the U.S. turned away Jews due to security concerns. We sent shiploads back to the camps because we were scared that Nazi spies could hide in their midst (which was not an entirely unfounded concern). The lesson of the Holocaust, as I noted here, is that we must deal with threats without rejecting our ethical obligations. We must not send those fleeing persecution back to their persecutors. The definition of moral courage is to resist allowing fear to overwhelm our humanity.
simply an appeal to emotion Coyote !! Better to be thoughtful rather than emotional . After all , these are 'muslims' and they are incompatible with Western civilization . See what they do all over the world and checkout the death and carnage that 'muslims' recently brought to Paris Coyote .

This

I wouldn't support sending REAL refugees back to be slaughtered, but from a lot of the pictures I've seen there is an abundance of men that either should be resisting and fighting for their homeland or they're jihadists blending into the crowd.

Either way these people do not belong here, and even if just %0.1 are jihadists we are talking about hundreds of people seeking entry into the US.

Aren't you glad these people on the right didn't feel the same way you do? Just think. These assholes with guns showed up with no warning, no visas, no papers and the Samoset people decided to trust them first and ask questions later.

Interview_of_Samoset_with_the_Pilgrims.jpg

How did that work out for the Indians? Are you okay with a similar fate?

Here it is.

Teacher Resources

Wrong.

Voyage of the St. Louis

No. Right. Many factors went into the determinations for immigrants and quotas including what I quoted.

The OP was not specifically about the St. Louis, though you seemed to jump right to that. Fears of Communist and Nazi inflitrators and the wide-spread opinion that East European Jews were "undesirables" led to the development of strict quotas that turned refused entry to many Jewish refugees.

How many refugees are you going to allow to live with you?

Here it is.

Oh please stop with your foolishness. Partisan fools like you are responsible for much of the problems in our nation.

The St. Louis was denied entry not because Nazi's were among them dummy, but due to concerns about immigration during the Great Depression and the people wanted immigration halted for a time. Unlike today, politicians then did consider the will of the American people when making decisions.

Of course. You must have written the book on the matter. Well done. Everyone believes you. I especially enjoy your measured tone. You must be pleasant at family dinners.

You behave like a complete ass and then ridicule people for being upset at your troll behavior.

Have you been checked for clinical sociopathy?

Because you complete lack of concern for the way you treat people really seems to indicate the possibility.

Here it is.

Ok I say all the far left drones on this board take the refugees into their homes..

Every time I see one of your posts I see a parrot: (Squawk!!!! Far left drones...far left drones...Polly want a quacker....Squawk!)

ISIS doesn't want anyone leaving Syria or any of the war zones.

ISIS wants the west to distrust the Muslims living in the west.

As is usual, when ISIS says "Jump!", American conservatives yell "How high, master?" on the way up. ISIS could not ask for a more supportive group of patsies.

The French seem a bit worked up at the moment. France is not in America.

Here it is.

You behave like a complete ass and then ridicule people for being upset at your troll behavior.

Have you been checked for clinical sociopathy?

Because you complete lack of concern for the way you treat people really seems to indicate the possibility.

Like I said.....I strive to be more like you. Your ability to focus on the topic at hand is most admirable. You would never troll a thread. What a guy!

Forum List

Back