Rasmussen Poll: Voters Divided over Roe v Wade Repeal

The Women's Reproductive Rights Act is currently sponsored by the democrats, but they need 60 votes to pass it in the Senate and they don't even have 50 cuz a few democrats won't vote for it. IMHO, it's just not right for a group of 9 unelected people to decide for everybody what abortion rights should exist, and since the US Congress won't do it then it should fall to the states to determine for their citizens what their abortion laws should be. And if the citizenry don't like it, they can replace the politicians who made the law with someone else who will change more to their liking. That's how our gov't at every level should work.

Overturning Roe v Wade is basically saying that the right to an abortion is not covered in the US Constitution. And that's it. I doubt they will rule that abortion rights do not exist, it's just not a constitutional right that is nowhere defined therein. The US Congress could pass legislation that authorizes that civil right, or absent national congressional action the individual states can authorize or deny it as they see fit. It will be interesting to read what the Court says regarding a total ban on abortions, if anything. Maybe they will leave that consideration to be reviewed at a later date. Or maybe the US Congress will pass legislation that says a total abortion ban is illegal, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Obviously this issue is not going to go away any time soon.
You're trying to initiate a discussion that the political right doesn't want to discuss in detail.

Maybe?
The court isn't going to authorize a total ban on abortion.
Maybe?

Look, I'm going to cut to the chase with you. The end result very much appears to be the almost complete ban on abortion by some states. That is the perception of the pro-choice side and I fully concur with their fears.

The only productive conversation in my opinion would be an attempt to defince the boundaries on abortion. I doubt any American on this board has any interest in doing that.

In Canada we're not obliged to do that, because we're willing to take a socially responsible compromising position on abortions.

What would you consider to be 'socially responsible' for America? Let's have the conversation.

Dem propaganda...a vast majority support abortion.

Dem reality...they can't even muster a 50% majority in their own party.

And overturning RvW will not result in a ban on abortion. It will eliminate the federal ban on limiting legislation.

You are ignoring the real result.
The end result is that some states will outlaw nearly all abortion. (or perhaps all)

I'm not interested in playing the game. That's for Americans.

Dem propaganda...a vast majority support abortion.

Dem reality...they can't even muster a 50% majority in their own party.
The anti-abortion side is almost certainly going to win this fight!
But it looks like the other side is going to get some serious licks in before it's settled.

The only risk of it being settled peacefully is if the fight is defined.

Once the fight is clearly defined, the peaceful solution is inevitable.

Hahahahahahaha! How many fetuses and people will die for the sake of finding an answer that's always there and always has been? If November is the cutoff date, the potential is enormous.

The anti-abortion side is almost certainly going to win this fight!
But it looks like the other side is going to get some serious licks in before it's settled.

The only risk of it being settled peacefully is if the fight isn't defined.

Once the fight is clearly defined, the peaceful solution is inevitable.

Hahahahahahaha! How many fetuses and people will die for the sake of finding an answer that's always there and always has been? If November is the cutoff date, the potential is enormous.
Dems are sick bastards who cheer killing babies in the womb.

Dems are sick bastards who cheer killing babies in the womb.
It's really hard to imagine a woman cheering the killing of unborn babies, but the level of hate being displayed is most likely going to take the question down to that level for Americans.

In the frank truth of the matter, most are much more interested in a political victory then they're interested in lives of the fetus. Fk America and what it stands for on this issue.

So you're threatening gun violence now, and only because you're frustrated by hearing a rational opinion from outside your country.

What next? Are you going to bomb me too?
Where does he mention guns at all? He just makes the point that political violence isn’t the sole province of the left. If anything, he’s talking about violence to counter violence. The right has been working almost entirely peacefully to counter the left for seventy years with the rare exceptions being condemned, not supported by the right.

The funniest thing is, the Leftist worship of abortion is born of lies. Roe herself admitted later she perjured herself on the stand, at the instruction of her lawyers.
Roe took money from anti-abortion groups because she was broke...to say things she didn't believe

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 48% of Likely U.S. Voters would approve of a Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade, including 32% who would Strongly Approve. Forty-five percent (45%) would disapprove of overturning Roe v. Wade, including 35% who would Strongly Disapprove.

... In an official statement, President Joe Biden declared that “a woman’s right to choose is fundamental, Roe has been the law of the land for almost fifty years, and basic fairness and the stability of our law demand that it not be overturned.” Sixty percent (60%) of voters agree with Biden’s statement, including 45% who Strongly Agree. Thirty-five percent (35%) disagree, including 22% who Strongly Disagree with Biden’s “demand” that Roe v. Wade not be overturned.

[??? Does that not conflict with the 1st paragraph? I musta missed something.]

In his draft opinion, Justice Alito declared that the Roe v. Wade decision “was egregiously wrong from the start. Its reasoning was exceptionally weak, and the decision has had damaging consequences.” Forty-seven percent (47%) of voters agree with Justice Alito’s statement, including 31% who Strongly Agree. Forty-six percent (46%) disagree with Alito, including 33% who Strongly Disagree that Roe “was egregiously wrong.”
Fifty-two percent (52%) of men and 45% of women would approve of a Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

Voters under 40 are more likely than their elders to approve of a decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

More whites (54%) than Black voters (49%) or other minorities (41%) consider themselves generally pro-choice on the abortion issue. Fifty-nine percent (59%) of Black voters and other minorities, but only 43% of whites, would approve of a Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

I agree with Alito's statements about the 1973 decision, it was IMHO judicial legislating from the bench. Which ain't supposed to happen, that is the job of the Congress. My best guess at this point is that the SCOTUS will overturn RvW, despite CJ Roberts' presumed objection. I do believe that issue belongs at the state level.
I believe it starts at the Constitutional level that guarantees "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" to human beings in all stages of life's development. If we deny what logic, honor, and science defines as a human being, we are denying one part of the population the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If Congress can change that, they can change liberty as a right. Let's let the truth show that a 2-cell zygote is not the same DNA formation as its mother. If she wants to do the world and humanity a favor, she will have that baby, and if that abridges her "rights," she must not kill that inconvenient child, and there is a demand for babies nobody wants in the household that can't produce a child after years of trying to have a kid. If a woman does not want a child, she can have her childbearing equipment to be surgically removed, even if that seems extreme to other people, at least she will not murder a living human being and have to account for that in Heaven, albeit St. Peter will not favor her vanity.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 48% of Likely U.S. Voters would approve of a Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade, including 32% who would Strongly Approve. Forty-five percent (45%) would disapprove of overturning Roe v. Wade, including 35% who would Strongly Disapprove.

... In an official statement, President Joe Biden declared that “a woman’s right to choose is fundamental, Roe has been the law of the land for almost fifty years, and basic fairness and the stability of our law demand that it not be overturned.” Sixty percent (60%) of voters agree with Biden’s statement, including 45% who Strongly Agree. Thirty-five percent (35%) disagree, including 22% who Strongly Disagree with Biden’s “demand” that Roe v. Wade not be overturned.

[??? Does that not conflict with the 1st paragraph? I musta missed something.]

In his draft opinion, Justice Alito declared that the Roe v. Wade decision “was egregiously wrong from the start. Its reasoning was exceptionally weak, and the decision has had damaging consequences.” Forty-seven percent (47%) of voters agree with Justice Alito’s statement, including 31% who Strongly Agree. Forty-six percent (46%) disagree with Alito, including 33% who Strongly Disagree that Roe “was egregiously wrong.”
Fifty-two percent (52%) of men and 45% of women would approve of a Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

Voters under 40 are more likely than their elders to approve of a decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

More whites (54%) than Black voters (49%) or other minorities (41%) consider themselves generally pro-choice on the abortion issue. Fifty-nine percent (59%) of Black voters and other minorities, but only 43% of whites, would approve of a Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

I agree with Alito's statements about the 1973 decision, it was IMHO judicial legislating from the bench. Which ain't supposed to happen, that is the job of the Congress. My best guess at this point is that the SCOTUS will overturn RvW, despite CJ Roberts' presumed objection. I do believe that issue belongs at the state level.
They need to do a poll, would you whether have a right to abortion or right to self-defense. Willing to bet most would say right to self-defense. Why would anyone support a group that wants to take away the most central point of all freedoms?

Let me throw this out there:

At what point should we as a society decide when a new life starts, and when it has rights that should be protected?

Is that a decision that the Supreme Court should make? 9 unelected people instead of the voters?

Basically, our system of gov't provides ways to amend our Constitution, and we give sole authority and discretion to the Congress to legislate such matters. And if they can't then the issue should fall to the individual states until such time as the Congress does provide laws governing this and any other issue, subject to SC constitutional review. That is the way it is supposed to work; the Supreme Court is not supposed to do it for them.

I don't believe the country is evenly divided. I believe the majority of Americans are fine with RvW being sent back to the states where it should have been in the FIRST place.

I don't believe the country is evenly divided. I believe the majority of Americans are fine with RvW being sent back to the states where it should have been in the FIRST place.
You believe this because you WANT to believe it

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back