Rail strike looming, and more gibberish from Biden

This is starting to resemble Atlas Shrugged.
At the beginning of the book, the rails were still running but were struggling.
By the end, the trains were done & people were back to horse & wagon.
The incompetence on display would make Jimmy Carter blush

biden-transportation.jpeg

This is starting to resemble Atlas Shrugged.
At the beginning of the book, the rails were still running but were struggling.
By the end, the trains were done & people were back to horse & wagon.
The incompetence on display would make Jimmy Carter blush

View attachment 730769
No, horses are carbon producing and must either be heavily taxed or shot

BIden should be doing all he can to slow down the union negotiations process. According the Railway Labor Act, strikes are illegal for railroad workers until ALL processes are exhausted.

In the mean time, getting every truck out on the road possible is a key to dealing with it, as well as recruiting train engineers from abroad to run the railroads during any possible strike.

Biden, BTW, really Fucked Up Royally when he cancelled the Keystone pipeline, which would have provided alternative methods to transport crude.

The key to this whole situation, Long Term, is for America to wean itself off of reliance on rail transportation and concentrate on a Rails-to-Trails program to change many of them to hiking trails. Further, moving Amtrak to a motor coach service would also help immensely.

Rail strike + massive inflation = shortages and more massive inflation

It's a win/win for the DNC

So what is the problem here?

Putin done it

Besides, January 6th.
I could handle a buckboard along with a pair of Morgan's/Haines collars & whipple tree, but those Morgan's better be faster than any Derby Thoroughbred along with the endurance of the starship Enterprise to make that 65 mile daily round trip to my place of employment!!!

BIden should be doing all he can to slow down the union negotiations process. According the Railway Labor Act, strikes are illegal for railroad workers until ALL processes are exhausted.

In the mean time, getting every truck out on the road possible is a key to dealing with it, as well as recruiting train engineers from abroad to run the railroads during any possible strike.

Biden, BTW, really Fucked Up Royally when he cancelled the Keystone pipeline, which would have provided alternative methods to transport crude.

The key to this whole situation, Long Term, is for America to wean itself off of reliance on rail transportation and concentrate on a Rails-to-Trails program to change many of them to hiking trails. Further, moving Amtrak to a motor coach service would also help immensely.
Do you have any idea why the rail workers may call a strike?
For one it's a safety issue. The rail company wants to eliminate conductors. All the train would use is an engineer. A one man train run by electronics.

For one it's a safety issue. The rail company wants to eliminate conductors. All the train would use is an engineer. A one man train run by electronics.

I think the real lesson here for America is to cut out dependence on rail transportation. If Mayor Petey and the Dept of Transportation can't get their shit together, we really need to phase this program out

Would you call that a safety issue or a I want to keep my irrelevant job issue though? I do not know enough to say in this case but generally electronics are FAR more reliable than people who are quite prone to fucking up.

I think the real lesson here for America is to cut out dependence on rail transportation. If Mayor Petey and the Dept of Transportation can't get their shit together, we really need to phase this program out
The rails are monopolized. They could give a damn what others think.

Would you call that a safety issue or a I want to keep my irrelevant job issue though? I do not know enough to say in this case but generally electronics are FAR more reliable than people who are quite prone to fucking up.
I can see the engineer texting and not paying attention. Conductors know more about the goings on around the trains than the engineers.
Another issue is how the rail co schedules the employee's. They use a 3 strikes type rule. If the employee needs to take time off for personal or family emergency issues the co uses it as leverage to dismiss the worker.

I can see the engineer texting and not paying attention. Conductors know more about the goings on around the trains than the engineers.
I am sure they do but that is not really relevant. You mentioned electronic measures replacing those needs and it would be those, regardless of the engineer taking a nap or not, that would provide that safety.

Considering a train is on a fixed route, safety should be a very easy accomplishment for electronic devices and also be far more effective. Electronic controls, for instance, do not speed around corners whereas operators do.

Another issue is how the rail co schedules the employee's. They use a 3 strikes type rule. If the employee needs to take time off for personal or family emergency issues the co uses it as leverage to dismiss the worker.
This is another issue entirely. I have heard they have some justified complaints about mistreatment but I was interested in your statement about safety as I have not heard that particular point. Generally I am in favor of eliminating operators as much as possible, almost all major disasters are related to human error or hubris. Anyone that has ever been involved in any program that touches safety in a major institution is well aware of this.

I am sure they do but that is not really relevant. You mentioned electronic measures replacing those needs and it would be those, regardless of the engineer taking a nap or not, that would provide that safety.

Considering a train is on a fixed route, safety should be a very easy accomplishment for electronic devices and also be far more effective. Electronic controls, for instance, do not speed around corners whereas operators do.

This is another issue entirely. I have heard they have some justified complaints about mistreatment but I was interested in your statement about safety as I have not heard that particular point. Generally I am in favor of eliminating operators as much as possible, almost all major disasters are related to human error or hubris. Anyone that has ever been involved in any program that touches safety in a major institution is well aware of this.

Roadway workers are not protected

In 2008, the United States Congress mandated positive train control (PTC) for all passenger and freight trains, with some exceptions. Forty-two railroads are subject to the statutory mandate to implement PTC. Twelve years after PTC was mandated, serious accidents may still occur if a maintenance-of-way (MOW) vehicle unknowingly goes out of its authorized work zones. Maintenance vehicles today are not controlled nor monitored by the PTC system. An incoming train cannot be stopped even when the train is equipped with a PTC system.

The above is still an issue and very much relevant.

Forum List

Back