R U foolish or wise man

sharif

VIP Member
Mar 4, 2011
Karachi, Pakistan
R U foolish or wise man

I want to share all man kind with the golden quotes of Hazrat ALI AS.
“two things value one can understand after it passed”
First is YOUNG LIFE and Second is Healthy life

“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”

One sick person can easily realized what is importance of healthy life which ignored this blessing when he is healthy.

Please check all human being in the light of above facts and judge where they stands? My humble request if any one blessed with healthy and young life than do not waste this precious time but always think how to earn GOOD DEEDS which is the only currency works after death at GOD place. If you have plenty of wealth in US $, Euro, AED, SR and others shape of wealth / property which is useless and no influence at God place after U die.

Thanking You.

Yours faithfully

( Ashfaq Sharif )

Thanks for posting this sharif
Maybe that's where the quotes came from
that were compiled as "Interview with God"
God : The Interview With God : Popular Screensavers : Inspirational Screensaver
I think the presentation is linked here:
The Interview With God Video

As for how to tell the wise man from the fool
"A wise man accepts rebuke"
(the fool rejects it)

KJV:
Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee

King James Bible
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.

(the fool rejects it)

KJV:
Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee

King James Bible
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
(the fool rejects it)
One of my favorite quotes. I had actually forgotten about it.

(the fool rejects it)

KJV:

King James Bible
(the fool rejects it)

Too busy practicing it
to preach, I see!

Your comment on your other thread
reveals this about your attitude.

Can we like, clone you or something?
Is there an App for that? :) ding

(the fool rejects it)

KJV:

King James Bible
(the fool rejects it)

Too busy practicing it
to preach, I see!

You don't want more than one. Trust me. We could use more of you though.

(the fool rejects it)

Too busy practicing it
to preach, I see!

Not TOO many more! Yikes!
How about two:
one to overthrow the Church. One to overthrow the State.
But it will take all of us to overthrow the Media!

Viva La Revolution!
One for all, and all for one!
WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS! WE ARE BORG!
(Wait, wrong movie line...)

JK

But seriously, effective use of the Media to check against
abuses of both church and state will lead to corrections
in the spirit of unity in truth, that will set humanity free.

We will see justice, and achieve world peace.
And it does start by receiving correction or 'rebuke' amongst
ourselves, locally. So globally, collectively humanity will see the
end of suffering as Buddhism teaches and the
establishment of justice and lasting peace as
Christianity teaches; by correcting and healing
the causes of social ills otherwise
dividing and destroying us.

Last edited:

(the fool rejects it)

KJV:

King James Bible
(the fool rejects it)

Too busy practicing it
to preach, I see!

How about two:

Viva La Revolution!

"You will be assimilated." The Borg

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

We are living in historic times. Before our lives pass, we will have witnessed the fall and hopefully the resurrection of a great country and society. I sleep like a baby at night knowing that the law of compensation never sleeps.

A wise man know he can be a fool but a fool is never wise enough to know when he is being foolish...

May the Divine bless your day and may the rivers be filled with honey and the roads full of joy and happiness, but remember without pain and suffering how do we ever learn what true joy is!?!

(the fool rejects it)

Too busy practicing it
to preach, I see!

Not TOO many more! Yikes!
How about two:

Viva La Revolution!

JK

But seriously, effective use of the Media to check against
abuses of both church and state will lead to corrections
in the spirit of unity in truth, that will set humanity free.

We will see justice, and achieve world peace.
And it does start by receiving correction or 'rebuke' amongst
ourselves, locally. So globally, collectively humanity will see the
end of suffering as Buddhism teaches and the
establishment of justice and lasting peace as
Christianity teaches; by correcting and healing
the causes of social ills otherwise
dividing and destroying us.
Here is what Solzhenitsyn had to say about the media:

"...This tilt of freedom toward evil has come about gradually, but it evidently stems from a humanistic and benevolent concept according to which man — the master of the world — does not bear any evil within himself, and all the defects of life are caused by misguided social systems, which must therefore be corrected. Yet strangely enough, though the best social conditions have been achieved in the West, there still remains a great deal of crime; there even is considerably more of it than in the destitute and lawless Soviet society. (There is a multitude of prisoners in our camps who are termed criminals, but most of them never committed any crime; they merely tried to defend themselves against a lawless state by resorting to means outside the legal framework.)

The press, too, of course, enjoys the widest freedom. (I shall be using the word "press" to include all the media.) But what use does it make of it?

Here again, the overriding concern is not to infringe the letter of the law. There is no true moral responsibility for distortion or disproportion. What sort of responsibility does a journalist or a newspaper have to the readership or to history? If they have misled public opinion by inaccurate information or wrong conclusions, even if they have contributed to mistakes on a state level, do we know of any case of open regret voiced by the same journalist or the same newspaper? No; this would damage sales. A nation may be the worse for such a mistake, but the journalist always gets away with it. It is most likely that he will start writing the exact opposite to his previous statements with renewed aplomb.

Because instant and credible information is required, it becomes necessary to resort to guesswork, rumors, and suppositions to fill in the voids, and none of them will ever be refuted; they settle into the readers' memory. How many hasty, immature, superficial, and misleading judgments are expressed everyday, confusing readers, and then left hanging?

The press can act the role of public opinion or miseducate it. Thus we may see terrorists heroized, or secret matters pertaining to the nation's defense publicly revealed, or we may witness shameless intrusion into the privacy of well-known people according to the slogan "Everyone is entitled to know everything." (But this is a false slogan of a false era; far greater in value is the forfeited right of people not to know, not to have their divine souls stuffed with gossip, nonsense, vain talk. A person who works and leads a meaningful life has no need for this excessive and burdening flow of information.)

Hastiness and superficiality — these are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century and more than anywhere else this is manifested in the press. In-depth analysis of a problem is anathema to the press; it is contrary to its nature. The press merely picks out sensational formulas.

Such as it is, however, the press has become the greatest power within Western countries, exceeding that of the legislature, the executive, and the judiciary. Yet one would like to ask: According to what law has it been elected and to whom is it responsible? In the Communist East, a journalist is frankly appointed as a state official. But who has voted Western journalists into their positions of power, for how long a time, and with what prerogatives?

There is yet another surprise for someone coming from the totalitarian East with its rigorously unified press: One discovers a common trend of preferences within the Western press as a whole (the spirit of the time), generally accepted patterns of judgment, and maybe common corporate interests, the sum effect being not competition but unification. Unrestrained freedom exists for the press, but not for readership, because newspapers mostly transmit in a forceful and emphatic way those opinions which do not too openly contradict their own and that general trend.

Without any censorship in the West, fashionable trends of thought and ideas are fastidiously separated from those that are not fashionable, and the latter, without ever being forbidden have little chance of finding their way into periodicals or books or being heard in colleges. Your scholars are free in the legal sense, but they are hemmed in by the idols of the prevailing fad. There is no open violence, as in the East; however, a selection dictated by fashion and the need to accommodate mass standards frequently prevents the most independent-minded persons from contributing to public life and gives rise to dangerous herd instincts that block dangerous herd development.

In America, I have received letters from highly intelligent persons — maybe a teacher in a faraway small college who could do much for the renewal and salvation of his country, but the country cannot hear him because the media will not provide him with a forum. This gives birth to strong mass prejudices, to a blindness which is perilous in our dynamic era. An example is the self-deluding interpretation of the state of affairs in the contemporary world that functions as a sort of petrified armor around people's minds, to such a degree that human voices from seventeen countries of Eastern Europe and Eastern Asia cannot pierce it. It will be broken only by the inexorable crowbar of events..."

Alexander I. Solzhenitsyn -- A World Split Apart — Commencement Address Delivered At Harvard University, June 8, 1978

(the fool rejects it)

KJV:

King James Bible
(the fool rejects it)

Too busy practicing it
to preach, I see!

How about two:

Viva La Revolution!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

We are living in historic times. Before our lives pass, we will have witnessed the fall and hopefully the resurrection of a great country and society. I sleep like a baby at night knowing that the law of compensation never sleeps.

Yes, although there is bloodshed and sacrifice going on as we speak.
I would think with the past wars behind us, the future is to have civil revolutions WITHOUT the bloodshed.

For example as nasty as the Democrat/Republican messes going on (and yes people have died for lack of govt responsibility on both local and foreign levels of law enforcement)
The "duels' we see going on, the 'assasinations' of character in the media are STILL MORE CIVIL than physical duels and wars
that is in our nation's history.

With each war that breaks out, we see a worldwide response to reach out and help refugees and victims we already know in advance are going to suffer displacement and genocide. The response is faster each time, and involves more countries, not just the US.

So at this rate of wanting betterment for humanity,
by trial and error, by process of elimination,
we will succeed at this learning curve. Because our conscience
is designed to seek peace and security and freedom from suffering,
and to avoid the causes of strife, sickness, death and destruction.

I say we clone you first ding. So you can help the church
and tribe leaders mediate between the masses.
(I'll take two of me, if that means one of us gets to SLEEP!)

(the fool rejects it)

Too busy practicing it
to preach, I see!

How about two:

Viva La Revolution!

I would think with the past wars behind us, the future is to have civil revolutions WITHOUT the bloodshed.

For example as nasty as the Democrat/Republican messes going on (and yes people have died for lack of govt responsibility on both local and foreign levels of law enforcement)
The "duels' we see going on, the 'assasinations' of character in the media are STILL MORE CIVIL than physical duels and wars

With each war that breaks out, we see a worldwide response to reach out and help refugees and victims we already know in advance are going to suffer displacement and genocide. The response is faster each time, and involves more countries, not just the US.

I wish it were so, but history leads me to another conclusion.

Too busy practicing it
to preach, I see!

How about two:

Viva La Revolution!

Remember that the OT history in the Bible depicts and predicts the pattern of death and destruction by Retributive Justice.
But the NT is about Restorative Justice which BREAKS that cycle.

So you and I both have faith that at some point,
there is redemption and these things are turned around.

Nobody knows the day or hour, but the Law of Justice ie Lord Jesus
WILL come and all humanity shall receive. Every knee
shall bow, every ear shall hear, every tongue shall confess:

WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!! WE ARE BORG!!!
JK...

How about two:

Viva La Revolution!

Remember that the OT history in the Bible depicts and predicts the pattern of death and destruction by Retributive Justice.

JK...
All true and I am not predicting the end of time but merely the cycle of remembering and forgetting God which has always existed and captured in the whole of the OT.

upload_2017-3-17_5-34-43.png

upload_2017-3-17_5-35-22.png

How about two:

Viva La Revolution!

JK...
All true and I am not predicting the end of time but merely the cycle of remembering and forgetting God which has always existed and captured in the whole of the OT.

^ so perhaps the issue is not arrogance
but it can be the lack of faith that man CAN make
significant enough changes of IMPORTANCE. ^

Someone as narcissistic and proud of his abilities as
say Trump (or some say Obama) would PUSH to
make things happen and change. They BELIEVE
they have that influence.

Maybe we are not confident enough in our
ability to make a difference? To break through
this pattern and get on the trajectory toward
lasting collaboration, peace and justice?
for all humanity united? we have faith in
God but not in humanity to pull this off in reality?

JK...

I see it as a systemic failure of society. We are the problem. The leaders we select is a manifestation of the disease. Here is what Solzhenitsyn had to say about leaders.

"...A decline in courage may be the most striking feature that an outside observer notices in the West today. The Western world has lost its civic courage, both as a whole and separately, in each country, in each government, in each political party, and, of course, in the United Nations. Such a decline in courage is particularly noticeable among the ruling and intellectual elites, causing an impression of a loss of courage by the entire society. There are many courageous individuals, but they have no determining influence on public life.

Political and intellectual functionaries exhibit this depression, passivity, and perplexity in their actions and in their statements, and even more so in their self-serving rationales as to how realistic, reasonable, and intellectually and even morally justified it is to base state policies on weakness and cowardice. And the decline in courage, at times attaining what could be termed a lack of manhood, is ironically emphasized by occasional outbursts and inflexibility on the part of those same functionaries when dealing with weak governments and with countries that lack support, or with doomed currents which clearly cannot offer resistance. But they get tongue-tied and paralyzed when they deal with powerful governments and threatening forces, with aggressors and international terrorists.

Must one point out that from ancient times a decline in courage has been considered the first symptom of the end?

When the modern Western states were being formed, it was proclaimed as a principle that governments are meant to serve man and that man lives in order to be free and pursue happiness. (See, for example, the American Declaration of Independence.) Now at last during past decades technical and social progress has permitted the realization of such aspirations: the welfare state.

Every citizen has been granted the desired freedom and material goods in such quantity and in such quality as to guarantee in theory the achievement of happiness, in the debased sense of the word which has come into being during those same decades. (In the process, however, one psychological detail has been overlooked: the constant desire to have still more things and a still better life and the struggle to this end imprint many Western faces with worry and even depression, though it is customary to carefully conceal such feelings. This active and tense competition comes to dominate all human thought and does not in the least open a way to free spiritual development.)

The individual's independence from many types of state pressure has been guaranteed; the majority of the people have been granted well-being to an extent their fathers and grandfathers could not even dream about; it has become possible to raise young people according to these ideals, preparing them for and summoning them toward physical bloom, happiness, and leisure, the possession of material goods, money, and leisure, toward an almost unlimited freedom in the choice of pleasures. So who should now renounce all this, why and for the sake of what should one risk one's precious life in defense of the common good and particularly in the nebulous case when the security of one's nation must be defended in an as yet distant land?

Even biology tells us that a high degree of habitual well-being is not advantageous to a living organism. Today, well-being in the life of Western society has begun to take off its pernicious mask.

Western society has chosen for itself the organization best suited to its purposes and one I might call legalistic. The limits of human rights and rightness are determined by a system of laws; such limits are very broad. People in the West have acquired considerable skill in using, interpreting, and manipulating law (though laws tend to be too complicated for an average person to understand without the help of an expert). Every conflict is solved according to the letter of the law and this is considered to be the ultimate solution.

If one is risen from a legal point of view, nothing more is required, nobody may mention that one could still not be right, and urge self-restraint or a renunciation of these rights, call for sacrifice and selfless risk: this would simply sound absurd. Voluntary self-restraint is almost unheard of: everybody strives toward further expansion to the extreme limit of the legal frames. (An oil company is legally blameless when it buys up an invention of a new type of energy in order to prevent its use. A food product manufacturer is legally blameless when he poisons his produce to make it last longer: after all, people are free not to purchase it.)

I have spent all my life under a Communist regime and I will tell you that a society without any objective legal scale is a terrible one indeed. But a society based on the letter of the law and never reaching any higher fails to take full advantage of the full range of human possibilities. The letter of the law is too cold and formal to have a beneficial influence on society. Whenever the tissue of life is woven of legalistic relationships, this creates an atmosphere of spiritual mediocrity that paralyzes man's noblest impulses.

And it will be simply impossible to bear up to the trials of this threatening century with nothing but the supports of a legalistic structure.

Today's Western society has revealed the inequality between the freedom for good deeds and the freedom for evil deeds. A statesman who wants to achieve something highly constructive for his country has to move cautiously and even timidly; thousands of hasty (and irresponsible) critics cling to him at all times; he is constantly rebuffed by parliament and the press. He has to prove that his every step is well founded and absolutely flawless. Indeed, an outstanding, truly great person who has unusual and unexpected initiatives in mind does not get any chance to assert himself; dozens of traps will be set for him from the beginning. Thus mediocrity triumphs under the guise of democratic restraints.

It is feasible and easy everywhere to undermine administrative power and it has in fact been drastically weakened in all Western countries. The defense of individual rights has reached such extremes as to make society as a whole defenseless against certain individuals. It is time, in the West, to defend not so much human rights as human obligations.

On the other hand, destructive and irresponsible freedom has been granted boundless space. Society has turned out to have scarce defense against the abyss of human decadence, for example against the misuse of liberty for moral violence against young people, such as motion pictures full of pornography, crime, and horror. This is all considered to be part of freedom and to be counterbalanced, in theory, by the young people's right not to look and not to accept. Life organized legalistically has thus shown its inability to defend itself against the corrosion of evil.

And what shall we say about the dark realms of overt criminality? Legal limits (especially in the United States) are broad enough to encourage not only individual freedom but also some misuse of such freedom. The culprit can go unpunished or obtain undeserved leniency — all with the support of thousands of defenders in the society. When a government earnestly undertakes to root out terrorism, public opinion immediately accuses it of violating the terrorist's civil rights. There is quite a number of such cases.

This tilt of freedom toward evil has come about gradually, but it evidently stems from a humanistic and benevolent concept according to which man — the master of the world — does not bear any evil within himself, and all the defects of life are caused by misguided social systems, which must therefore be corrected. Yet strangely enough, though the best social conditions have been achieved in the West, there still remains a great deal of crime; there even is considerably more of it than in the destitute and lawless Soviet society. (There is a multitude of prisoners in our camps who are termed criminals, but most of them never committed any crime; they merely tried to defend themselves against a lawless state by resorting to means outside the legal framework.)..."

Alexander I. Solzhenitsyn -- A World Split Apart — Commencement Address Delivered At Harvard University, June 8, 1978

I prefer Kipling...

Certain Maxims Of Hafiz

I.
If It be pleasant to look on, stalled in the packed serai,
Does not the Young Man try Its temper and pace ere he buy?
If She be pleasant to look on, what does the Young Man say?
"Lo! She is pleasant to look on, give Her to me to-day!"

II.
Yea, though a Kafir die, to him is remitted Jehannum
If he borrowed in life from a native at sixty per cent. per anuum.

III.
Blister we not for bursati? So when the heart is vext,
The pain of one maiden's refusal is drowned in the pain of the next.

IV.
The temper of chums, the love of your wife, and a new piano's tune --
Which of the three will you trust at the end of an Indian June?

V.
Who are the rulers of Ind -- to whom shall we bow the knee?
Make your peace with the women, and men will make you L. G.

VI.
Does the woodpecker flit round the young ferash?
Does grass clothe a new-built wall?
Is she under thirty, the woman who holds a boy in her thrall?

VII.
If She grow suddenly gracious -- reflect. Is it all for thee?
The blackbuck is stalked through the bullock, and Man through jealousy.

VIII.
Seek not for favours of women. So shall you find it indeed.
Does not the boar break cover just when you're lighting a weed?

IX.
If He play, being young and unskilful, for shekels of silver and gold,
Take His money, my son, praising Allah. The kid was ordained to be sold.

X.
With a "weed" among men or horses verily this is the best,
That you work him in office or dog-cart lightly -- but give him no rest.

XI.
Pleasant the snaffle of Courtship, improving the manners and carriage;
But the colt who is wise will abstain from the terrible thorn-bit of Marriage.

XII.
As the thiftless gold of the babul, so is the gold that we spend
On a Derby Sweep, or our neighbour's wife, or the horse that we buy from a friend.

XIII.
The ways of man with a maid be strange, yet simple and tame
To the ways of a man with a horse, when selling or racing that same.

XIV.
In public Her face turneth to thee, and pleasant Her smile when ye meet.
It is ill. The cold rocks of El-Gidar smile thus on the waves at their feet.
In public Her face is averted; with anger She nameth thy name.
It is well. Was there ever a loser content with the loss of the game?

XV.
If She have spoken a word, remember thy lips are sealed,
And the Brand of the Dog is upon him by whom is the secret revealed.
If She have written a letter, delay not an instant but burn it.
Tear it to pieces, O Fool, and the wind to her mate shall return it!
If there be trouble to Herward, and a lie of the blackest can clear,
Lie, while thy lips can move or a man is alive to hear.

XVI.
My Son, if a maiden deny thee and scufflingly bid thee give o'er,
Yet lip meets with lip at the last word, get out!
She has been there before.
They are pecked on the ear and the chin and the nose who are lacking in lore.

XVII.
If we fall in the race, though we win, the hoof-slide is scarred on the course.
Though Allah and Earth pardon Sin, remaineth for ever Remorse.

XVIII.
"By all I am misunderstood!" if the Matron shall say, or the Maid: --
"Alas! I do not understand," my son, be thou nowise afraid.
In vain in the sight of the Bird is the net of the Fowler displayed.

XIX.
My son, if I, Hafiz, thy Father, take hold of thy knees in my pain,
Demanding thy name on stamped paper, one day or one hour -- refrain.
Are the links of thy fetters so light that thou cravest another man's chain?

R U foolish or wise man

I want to share all man kind with the golden quotes of Hazrat ALI AS.
“two things value one can understand after it passed”
First is YOUNG LIFE and Second is Healthy life

“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”

One sick person can easily realized what is importance of healthy life which ignored this blessing when he is healthy.

Please check all human being in the light of above facts and judge where they stands? My humble request if any one blessed with healthy and young life than do not waste this precious time but always think how to earn GOOD DEEDS which is the only currency works after death at GOD place. If you have plenty of wealth in US $, Euro, AED, SR and others shape of wealth / property which is useless and no influence at God place after U die.

Thanking You.

Yours faithfully

( Ashfaq Sharif )
Dear Assfuq, is this guy a good muslim who beats his wife? How does that impact on HER health?

JK...

I see it as a systemic failure of society. We are the problem. The leaders we select is a manifestation of the disease. Here is what Solzhenitsyn had to say about leaders.

"...A decline in courage may be the most striking feature that an outside observer notices in the West today. The Western world has lost its civic courage, both as a whole and separately, in each country, in each government, in each political party, and, of course, in the United Nations. Such a decline in courage is particularly noticeable among the ruling and intellectual elites, causing an impression of a loss of courage by the entire society. There are many courageous individuals, but they have no determining influence on public life.

Political and intellectual functionaries exhibit this depression, passivity, and perplexity in their actions and in their statements, and even more so in their self-serving rationales as to how realistic, reasonable, and intellectually and even morally justified it is to base state policies on weakness and cowardice. And the decline in courage, at times attaining what could be termed a lack of manhood, is ironically emphasized by occasional outbursts and inflexibility on the part of those same functionaries when dealing with weak governments and with countries that lack support, or with doomed currents which clearly cannot offer resistance. But they get tongue-tied and paralyzed when they deal with powerful governments and threatening forces, with aggressors and international terrorists.

Must one point out that from ancient times a decline in courage has been considered the first symptom of the end?

When the modern Western states were being formed, it was proclaimed as a principle that governments are meant to serve man and that man lives in order to be free and pursue happiness. (See, for example, the American Declaration of Independence.) Now at last during past decades technical and social progress has permitted the realization of such aspirations: the welfare state.

Every citizen has been granted the desired freedom and material goods in such quantity and in such quality as to guarantee in theory the achievement of happiness, in the debased sense of the word which has come into being during those same decades. (In the process, however, one psychological detail has been overlooked: the constant desire to have still more things and a still better life and the struggle to this end imprint many Western faces with worry and even depression, though it is customary to carefully conceal such feelings. This active and tense competition comes to dominate all human thought and does not in the least open a way to free spiritual development.)

The individual's independence from many types of state pressure has been guaranteed; the majority of the people have been granted well-being to an extent their fathers and grandfathers could not even dream about; it has become possible to raise young people according to these ideals, preparing them for and summoning them toward physical bloom, happiness, and leisure, the possession of material goods, money, and leisure, toward an almost unlimited freedom in the choice of pleasures. So who should now renounce all this, why and for the sake of what should one risk one's precious life in defense of the common good and particularly in the nebulous case when the security of one's nation must be defended in an as yet distant land?

Even biology tells us that a high degree of habitual well-being is not advantageous to a living organism. Today, well-being in the life of Western society has begun to take off its pernicious mask.

Western society has chosen for itself the organization best suited to its purposes and one I might call legalistic. The limits of human rights and rightness are determined by a system of laws; such limits are very broad. People in the West have acquired considerable skill in using, interpreting, and manipulating law (though laws tend to be too complicated for an average person to understand without the help of an expert). Every conflict is solved according to the letter of the law and this is considered to be the ultimate solution.

If one is risen from a legal point of view, nothing more is required, nobody may mention that one could still not be right, and urge self-restraint or a renunciation of these rights, call for sacrifice and selfless risk: this would simply sound absurd. Voluntary self-restraint is almost unheard of: everybody strives toward further expansion to the extreme limit of the legal frames. (An oil company is legally blameless when it buys up an invention of a new type of energy in order to prevent its use. A food product manufacturer is legally blameless when he poisons his produce to make it last longer: after all, people are free not to purchase it.)

I have spent all my life under a Communist regime and I will tell you that a society without any objective legal scale is a terrible one indeed. But a society based on the letter of the law and never reaching any higher fails to take full advantage of the full range of human possibilities. The letter of the law is too cold and formal to have a beneficial influence on society. Whenever the tissue of life is woven of legalistic relationships, this creates an atmosphere of spiritual mediocrity that paralyzes man's noblest impulses.

And it will be simply impossible to bear up to the trials of this threatening century with nothing but the supports of a legalistic structure.

Today's Western society has revealed the inequality between the freedom for good deeds and the freedom for evil deeds. A statesman who wants to achieve something highly constructive for his country has to move cautiously and even timidly; thousands of hasty (and irresponsible) critics cling to him at all times; he is constantly rebuffed by parliament and the press. He has to prove that his every step is well founded and absolutely flawless. Indeed, an outstanding, truly great person who has unusual and unexpected initiatives in mind does not get any chance to assert himself; dozens of traps will be set for him from the beginning. Thus mediocrity triumphs under the guise of democratic restraints.

It is feasible and easy everywhere to undermine administrative power and it has in fact been drastically weakened in all Western countries. The defense of individual rights has reached such extremes as to make society as a whole defenseless against certain individuals. It is time, in the West, to defend not so much human rights as human obligations.

On the other hand, destructive and irresponsible freedom has been granted boundless space. Society has turned out to have scarce defense against the abyss of human decadence, for example against the misuse of liberty for moral violence against young people, such as motion pictures full of pornography, crime, and horror. This is all considered to be part of freedom and to be counterbalanced, in theory, by the young people's right not to look and not to accept. Life organized legalistically has thus shown its inability to defend itself against the corrosion of evil.

And what shall we say about the dark realms of overt criminality? Legal limits (especially in the United States) are broad enough to encourage not only individual freedom but also some misuse of such freedom. The culprit can go unpunished or obtain undeserved leniency — all with the support of thousands of defenders in the society. When a government earnestly undertakes to root out terrorism, public opinion immediately accuses it of violating the terrorist's civil rights. There is quite a number of such cases.

This tilt of freedom toward evil has come about gradually, but it evidently stems from a humanistic and benevolent concept according to which man — the master of the world — does not bear any evil within himself, and all the defects of life are caused by misguided social systems, which must therefore be corrected. Yet strangely enough, though the best social conditions have been achieved in the West, there still remains a great deal of crime; there even is considerably more of it than in the destitute and lawless Soviet society. (There is a multitude of prisoners in our camps who are termed criminals, but most of them never committed any crime; they merely tried to defend themselves against a lawless state by resorting to means outside the legal framework.)..."

Like anyone's going to read that massive load of copy&paste clown farts.

JK...

Like anyone's going to read that massive load of copy&paste clown farts.
I know... who cares what Nobel Laureates say when you can watch re-runs of Ren and Stimpy, right?

Forum List

Back