Question for Retirees

I retired unofficially in 2011 because my back and legs were already shot and rapidly getting worse. I was making good money as a local Teamster truckdriver, so I decided to protect my S.S. potential by never working for the man ever again. Tried working indoors like a civilized being many times. Could never stand it for long. Too many exposing their intrinsic assholishness, up close and personal, daily. Yes, getting out, meeting new people, or just briefly getting reacquainted with many.. that I do miss.

Now that I'm officially retired, the only change is that I'm actually generating a guaranteed steady income from my savings. Way more than I've ever been paid before.. even by myself. And I still won't collect S.S. for another year and a half. Kids are all out of the house again, thank goodness. I still do the same stuff. Slow and steady. Nothin' comes easy. If it ain't one thing it's another. Always a fly in the ointment. Something always in need of repair or an upgrade.. Tons of old junk to dispose of.. And.. we're fixing up a bus to eventually live in! All is good. No regrets.

When you retired, did you have a plan on what to do with all your free time,
Read, read, read and learn, learn, learn...good plan
or did you just wing it?
If doing whatever strikes your fancy whenever you want and any way you want is winging it then that is me.
If you winged it, how has it worked out? Anything you might have done differently?
there is no freedom like having the rest of your life ahead of you to do what ever you want to with it...always make the choices that can make you proud, and if I coud have done anything differently I would have taken better care of my teeth. implants cost close to $100,000. but man are they worth every penny cuz they are perfect so even that isn't so bad.

In summation, never stop your education and choose the things you will be proud of, its an entree of reward and a recipe for dessert known as the golden years.

I'm still planning on checking out at 55. Still have a little more than a few years to go, though.

I've mentioned many a time on here what my plans are. Some place warm for most of the year, a tiki bar, some of those colorful fruity things with the umbrella in em, maybe a ukulele off in the dstance and a long legged brunette to rub down.

What more do I really need? I mean, really.

My portfolio, which has struggled mightily in 2022, is up over 6% so far in 2023. I'm not gonna touch any of my equities anyway for at least 10 years, they can maybe make up for the money I withdraw, who knows. I'm not worried about it anyway, ever seen a hearse with a luggage rack?

corpseside-classic-1970-cadillac-hearse.jpg

I retire in July. In Sept I am off to Zimbabwe to work on an animal preserve for 2 weeks. I am a life long learner so I plan to crack the books again a stay active.
Now that is what I call a retirement job! I like watching the wild life videos on YouTube, but recently saw one where a cheetah had a kill and was immediately surrounded by Land Rovers, literally 4 deep in spots.
The cheetah has had a look like WTF?

Now that is what I call a retirement job! I like watching the wild life videos on YouTube, but recently saw one where a cheetah had a kill and was immediately surrounded by Land Rovers, literally 4 deep in spots.
The cheetah has had a look like WTF?

My wife booked everything for me :) My retirement gift. Hands on with Elephants and lion cubs, I can't wait.

When you retired, did you have a plan on what to do with all your free time, or did you just wing it? If you winged it, how has it worked out? Anything you might have done differently?
Got my captains license and started running fishing charters. My plan was to hunt, fish, golf and drink. I figured out how to get paid to hunt and fish. Still trying to figure out how to get paid to golf and drink. If there is a way I will figure it out eventually. Good luck!

I've been retired 20 years now. The best 20 years of my life. And no, I don't have a plan, I just take each day as it comes and basically do whatever I want.

Yep...
I've been retired now for 11 years and the best thing about it is not having a set schedule.
Sometimes I'll stay in bed till noon and read other times I get up early.
Hell,it took me 8 years to break my early riser habit.

Yep...
I've been retired now for 11 years and the best thing about it is not having a set schedule.
Sometimes I'll stay in bed till noon and read other times I get up early.
Hell,it took me 8 years to break my early riser habit.

I still get up at 6:30 after five years
But am in bed by 10:30

Forum List

Back