Question for Retirees

I just had more time for what I really wanted to do -- my own businesses, which are a hell of a lot more lucrative than my last job was.

And since it's what I choose to do with my time, it's what I most love doing.

My steady customers have been there for more than 20 years. We know just what to expect from one another. No stress.

When you retired, did you have a plan on what to do with all your free time, or did you just wing it? If you winged it, how has it worked out? Anything you might have done differently?

I'll retire when I die ... Or can no longer do the job ... I really like my job.
Adjusting the workload between now and then comes in handy though.

If I need a plan ... It will probably be ...
Deciding between sherbet and ice cream at an assisted living facility ... :auiqs.jpg:

I did not love my job but I loved the pay and benefits. I was burned out years ago, but always remembered how well they treated me and how much money they paid me, that made it bearable until I got my time in and hit my 85 points.

That's cool ... You put in your time ...
And I am certainly not someone who would tell you to do any different.

It's just a shame you were not able to find something to do as an occupation/career ... That you loved.
Something you could embrace and earn the money you required ... Provided you with the opportunity to explore and discover ...
Enjoy the world around you ... Meet new People ... And provide you with fulfillment at an undeniable level ...
Simply going to work ... And putting in another day on the job.

Last edited:
I retired at 54 and found a seasonal horticulture job at the zoo. It was a nice place to hang around in the summer except for having to see all sizes of women wearing that spandex crap. It makes them all look like trailer trash but I wasn`t allowed to tell them that. :(

With the kids off our hands we hope to hit the roads in around 8-- 10 years in a huge mobile with south America and the Indian sub-continent as top of the venues .
I may be lucky in the intervening period and lose my husband which will give me even greater scope .

Will scrub this post later, just in case.

I retire in July. In Sept I am off to Zimbabwe to work on an animal preserve for 2 weeks. I am a life long learner so I plan to crack the books again an stay active.

I retired at age 55 in 2003. Twenty years now.

No master plan.

The first couple of years my wife and I traveled and did some of the things we had been putting off.

I always wanted to coach a Little League team and do it right without having to worry about work getting in my way and I did it for a couple of years. My wife volunteered for charity stuff.

After that both of us got a little bored and we went back to work part time. Me doing Engineering Consulting and her doing substitute teaching,

Then our grandkids started to come along.

That changed our priorities tremendously. After a while we both stopped working in order to spend more times with the grandkids.

Nowadys we live a quiet retirement. I go out to the shooting range at least once a week and do gunsmith stuff on the side. Sometimes I do range officer duty or firearms training We have our friends and family and we seem to stay busy enough with life things but also have a lot down time.

In the summer I hang around a campsite where they float down the Elk River and I get free beer and dinner along with money, just fer hangin' around. I wish I had found this job forty years ago.
The Noel area is beautiful.

A fun hobby I've picked up is standing on the street corner during morning rush hour screaming at people to "pay your taxes so I can live free" ... and roar with laughter in their faces ...

As a Card Carrying Liberal, I have advantages over the rest of you.
I just flash my card and wink and I get all kinds of free stuff.

I get free meals, free drinks and free lap dances at Titty Bars.

1675180099721.gif

Gee, you should write an award winning book about such a soul stirring experience.

I retired at 54 and found a seasonal horticulture job at the zoo. It was a nice place to hang around in the summer except for having to see all sizes of women wearing that spandex crap. It makes them all look like trailer trash but I wasn`t allowed to tell them that. :(
Sometimes I think it will explode.

Fair enough .
You always sounded like a bum and you clearly are what we thought.
Well done for being honest .

Forum List

Back