question for older NFL fans about terry bradshaw

Damn. He was big as Butkus. I recall both of those dudes when I was a Chitcago punk. Ran into Butkus at Brookfield one Sunday. BIG dude and I was about 6'2 180 at the time.Had a neck like a trash can lid.

Reminds me a lot of Jim MacMahon
Bobby was quite a bit bigger than MacMahon, he was listed as 6 foot 4, 225 lbs. I thought he was heavier than that, and he probably was. But Jim WAS tough, like Bobby, and willing to put his "neck on the line", as they say. Willing to stick his head into the rough play.
He is paying a price now

One hit to the head too many
I've read about MacMahon's serious problems because of his MANY concussions during his career. But that was the way he played, tough to a fault. I wish SOME of the current QB's had HALF the toughness and balls Jim had.
We both added an extra "a" to Jim's surname. I thought it was MacMahon, as well. It's actually McMahon. And he was listed as 6 foot 1 and 195 lbs., quite a bit smaller than Bobby Douglass.
He played much bigger

He would never try to avoid a hit. Then would pop up and bang helmets with one of his linemen
Agree. And unfortunately THAT'S why he has his physical problems today.

Damn. He was big as Butkus. I recall both of those dudes when I was a Chitcago punk. Ran into Butkus at Brookfield one Sunday. BIG dude and I was about 6'2 180 at the time.Had a neck like a trash can lid.
Yep, Douglass was HUGE for a QB back then. Not now, of course. He was taller than Butkus, but not quite as heavy.

Yep, Douglass was HUGE for a QB back then. Not now, of course. He was taller than Butkus, but not quite as heavy.
I just checked some info on Butkus. He was listed as 6 foot 3, 245 lbs. I didn't know he was that tall, I thought maybe 6 foot or 6 foot 1.

Why is he is not talked about like Joe Montana and also has 4 SB rings and no losses?

Several reasons-and their all hall of gamers- Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, John Stalworth, Mike Webster, and a little thing called the Steel Curtain defense with hall of farmers Mel Blount, Joe Greene, Jack Ham and Jack Lambert. Oh yes, and hall of fame coach Chuck Knoll.

Montana didn’t have the help of as many hall of famers.
Ronni Lott, Roger Craig, Jerry Rice, Jack Reynolds, Fred Dean, Steve Young, Deion Sanders and hall of fame coach, Bill Walsh.
Bradshaw had the game's biggest throwing arm and was surrounded by a stellar cast.
But he was no Montana who, I think, was simply the best qb ever.

Why is he is not talked about like Joe Montana and also has 4 SB rings and no losses?

Several reasons-and their all hall of gamers- Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, John Stalworth, Mike Webster, and a little thing called the Steel Curtain defense with hall of farmers Mel Blount, Joe Greene, Jack Ham and Jack Lambert. Oh yes, and hall of fame coach Chuck Knoll.

Ronni Lott, Roger Craig, Jerry Rice, Jack Reynolds, Fred Dean, Steve Young, Deion Sanders and hall of fame coach, Bill Walsh.
Bradshaw had the game's biggest throwing arm and was surrounded by a stellar cast.
Montana had an all star cast around him
Don’t know if you can say the same about Brady

Brady is clearly the GOAT. More Super Bowl wins with very few hall of famers around. Elway went to 3 superbowls with virtual no other hall of famers. When he got a hall of fame Running back he won 2 straight.

Brady is clearly the GOAT. More Super Bowl wins with very few hall of famers around. Elway went to 3 superbowls with virtual no other hall of famers. When he got a hall of fame Running back he won 2 straight.
It’s not just the wins but nine Super Bowl appearances and 13 appearances in the AFC Championship. All in 20 seasons.
Brady did it all with a different cast of characters. Montana had the best receiver of all time to throw to.

Do you think Rob Gronkowski, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon etc. are bums?
Do you think the outstanding Patriot defenses (Coates, Harrison, McGinest, Seymour) were made up of slackers and losers?

This isn't an argument I care to have or anyone can win. Brady has been the best of his era. But Montana was the pinnacle of his and with two minutes to get the ball from the twenty to the end zone
I'd rather have Montana's hands on the ball than anyone else. End o' story.

Last edited:
Do you think Rob Gronkowski, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon etc. are bums?
Do you think the outstanding Patriot defenses (Coates, Harrison, McGinest, Seymour) were made up of slackers and losers?

This isn't an argument I care to have or anyone can win. Brady has been the best of his era. But Montana was the pinnacle of his and with two minutes to get the ball from the twenty to the end zone
I'd rather have Montana's hands on the ball than anyone else. End o' story.
Jerry Rice attracted a lot of attention
If he was double covered there was John Taylor

Drop back in coverage and Montana killed you with Roger Craig.

I have about a thousand football cards from that time.......including the steel curtain and even a Dan Fouts Rookie card....

Anybody want to buy the set for say about $5000...........lol
Put them on ebay and some asshole will be all over it
I had my daughter do that.........people didn't want to pay much.......book value......I have about 1500 cards from the 70s

Never thought of it why the two real nfl quarterbacks tied at four apiece for the most legitimate wins in a Super Bowl, if you catch my drift:biggrin: why that has always been the case but good thought.

Comedy gold:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

I personally think Johnny Unitas was the best ever. Over Montana and Bradshaw.

Don't leave out this guy:
1589096545504.png

Bradshaw called his own plays and has 4 (four) Superbowl wins. Name another quarterback who did the same!

Bradshaw was great.
Brady has six wins and played in nine Superbowls

Bradshaw called his own plays and has 4 (four) Superbowl wins. Name another quarterback who did the same!

Bradshaw was great.
Brady has six wins and played in nine Superbowls
Did you miss the part where he states, “called his own plays?”

Different game.
QBs still call their own plays. Never saw a play Peyton Manning didn’t audible out of
Omaha, OMAHA
Means nothing. The poster made the exception that Bradshaw called his own plays.

Forum List

Back