question for older NFL fans about terry bradshaw

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
Why is he is not talked about like Joe Montana and also has 4 SB rings and no losses?

Bradshaw was a damn good QB, monster arm
But he was not the best of his era.

If you ever saw those Steeler teams, The Defense was just scary. Held teams to under two TDs.

Bradshaw had to just run a conservative offense and not screw up.

Bradshaw was no question HOF, but not one of the greatest of all time.

Look at his stats. He was a very mediocre quarterback surrounded by phenomenal superstars and great coaching.

14 years, 212 TD/210 Int/27,000 yards passing/QB Rtg 70.9

VERY mediocre, and if you look at many of his years...he was down right poor.
However...he managed games and won a lot of big games through good game management.
Terry Bradshaw Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

One of the biggest knocks against Bradshaw was that they called him stupid. He had that southern, good ole boy persona and accent that people said was stupid. Any mistake was amplified.

But Terry was as smart as any QB of his era and called a good game.

Bradshaw was a damn good QB, monster arm
But he was not the best of his era.

If you ever saw those Steeler teams, The Defense was just scary. Held teams to under two TDs.

Bradshaw had to just run a conservative offense and not screw up.

Bradshaw was no question HOF, but not one of the greatest of all time.
Peyton Manning was a great quarterback...........but with no offensive line.......wasn't destined to be the Superbowl type........

If he would have been on a better team........he would have been much much much better than those.........You are right about the Steel Curtain..........Him and Swan did rock though on Offense.

Why is he is not talked about like Joe Montana and also has 4 SB rings and no losses?
Possibly because his overall stats weren't that impressive or eye-opening. He didn't pass for that much yardage or touchdowns compared to other Hall of Fame QB's, but he WAS a terrific leader on the field and a WINNER. He's in MY top ten NFL QB's all-time. In fact, here are my top ten - 1) Tom Brady 2) Joe Montana 3) Drew Brees 4) Peyton Manning 5) Dan Marino 6) Brett Favre 7) Johnny Unitas 8) Terry Bradshaw 9) John Elway and 10) Dan Fouts.

Several reasons-and their all hall of gamers- Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, John Stalworth, Mike Webster, and a little thing called the Steel Curtain defense with hall of farmers Mel Blount, Joe Greene, Jack Ham and Jack Lambert. Oh yes, and hall of fame coach Chuck Knoll.

Montana didn’t have the help of as many hall of famers.

Bradshaw, Lynn Swann and Franco were overshadowed by the Steel Curtain defense which was possibly the best of all time.
The Bears defense from the mid to late 80's was quite impressive, as well. The Bears '85 defense is possibly THE best defense for a season. But the Steelers defense WAS great for more years than the Bears.

I have about a thousand football cards from that time.......including the steel curtain and even a Dan Fouts Rookie card....

Anybody want to buy the set for say about $5000...........lol

Bradshaw kinda shit on Pittsburgh on his way out of town. He never appeared at the city's Dapper Dan sports banquets, or the funeral of Emperor Chas Noll. He was rather fragile sitting out games with injuries that would not sideline QBs like Roethlisberger.

One of the biggest knocks against Bradshaw was that they called him stupid. He had that southern, good ole boy persona and accent that people said was stupid. Any mistake was amplified.

Most super bowl winning QB’s are southern republicans, or California, Tom Brady wears a MAGA hat. The most talented are Republican southerners.. I work in the financial district in Boston and almost all the CEOs higher ups are all from down south lol and republican haha

Bradshaw, Lynn Swann and Franco were overshadowed by the Steel Curtain defense which was possibly the best of all time.
The Bears defense from the mid to late 80's was quite impressive, as well. The Bears '85 defense is possibly THE best defense for a season. But the Steelers defense WAS great for more years than the Bears.
The 85 Bears team was insane. They were so good, they made their own music video instead of practicing and still destroyed the Patriots.

He had two of the best wide receivers in Swann and Srallworth.

The 85 Bears team was insane. They were so good, they made their own music video instead of practicing and still destroyed the Patriots.
Agree. The video was QUITE cheeky, I didn't then and don't like it that much now. And they actually had the balls to do the video, pretty much celebrating a Super Bowl win BEFORE the game! That WAS pretty cool, in retrospect. I think THEY knew no other team could beat them that year. I, like most, REALLY wanted to see a Bears/Dolphins Super Bowl that year. The Dolphins were the only team that defeated the Bears in the regular season, and they clobbered them, I believe the score was 38-16. So I believe that match up would've been much more interesting and competitive.

Because Lynn Swann was the best player on that team during those years.
The BEST player? Not a chance. I'd say the SECOND best receiver after John Stallworth. And quite a few players on defense were better players. More seasons of All-Pro quality play. But don't get me wrong, Swann WAS fun to watch. He was very fast and DID make some incredible catches during his career.

Forum List

Back