Question About Math Problem Solving Methods

Pumpkin Row

Platinum Member
May 26, 2016
So, I've been preparing for an important math test and a friend of mine(online) offered to help me with some graphing questions. I showed her my method, and she showed me hers, which is different. Mine feels a bit easier, but she says that hers is more "intuitive".

05eac68d143d4a74aa6af0dc87681db1.png

The points are -5, 2 and 3, -4
We both start off by subtracting the coordinates from each other to find the Slope
2-(-4) -6
-------=----

-5-3 8

Simplifying the answer: -3/4

The next step is where our methods differ. I'll start with mine;
I take an x and a y coordinate and place them into the equation y=mx+b(m=slope, b=y-intercept)
y=mx+b
2=-3/4*-5+b

I then solve for the y-intercept
2=-3/4*-5/1+b
2=15/4+b
2=15/4+-7/4
15/4+-7/4=8/4
8/4=2/1=2
So, now we have our equation; y=-3/4x-7/4

Now, my friend's method:
y-y1=m(x-x1)
4(y-2)=4(-3/4x - 15/4)
4y-8 = -3x -15
4y= -3x-7
y = -3/4x - 7/4
(Finding the Equation of a Line Given Two Points 2 | Coolmath.com she used the method shown here)

Does it matter as long as I get the right answer, and if her method is better, would it be worth swapping methods 39 hours before my test or would that be a hindrance?

It should not matter. There is more than one way of skinning a cat. There are ultimately two things that are important. One is that you understand your method and that you can use it to get the right answer. However, if your teacher specifics a certain method, you should be able to do the problem by that method.

The second method that your friend uses is simply using the point slope formula rather than the slope intercept formula which you are using. Both formulas are just as valid and will get you to the correct answer as long as you don't screw up your algebra.

It should not matter. There is more than one way of skinning a cat. There are ultimately two things that are important. One is that you understand your method and that you can use it to get the right answer. However, if your teacher specifics a certain method, you should be able to do the problem by that method.

The second method that your friend uses is simply using the point slope formula rather than the slope intercept formula which you are using. Both formulas are just as valid and will get you to the correct answer as long as you don't screw up your algebra.
Thank you! I really wasn't sure, since it sounded like she knew better than me, but my method also felt quicker and easier to remember. So I thought "There must be people here with better math skills than I, so I should post about it." I also hadn't realized that there were names for each method.

bear513 likely never, aside from taking tests for it. It feels like most of the math I'm learning now is filler.

Eat at Joe's, it just adds up.

bear513 likely never, aside from taking tests for it. It feels like most of the math I'm learning now is filler.

I kind of screwed up with that post, that's why I deleted it,.but it does get your mind thinking on trouble shooting skills which is good for the real world.

Thank you! I really wasn't sure, since it sounded like she knew better than me, but my method also felt quicker and easier to remember. So I thought "There must be people here with better math skills than I, so I should post about it." I also hadn't realized that there were names for each method.
y-y1 = m(x-x1)
y-2 = -3/4(x-(-5))
y-2 = -3/4x-3/4(5)
y-2 =-3/4x-15/4
Y-2+2=3/4x-15/4 +2. Note: 2 = 8/4
y=3/4x-7/4

Forum List

Back