Puerto Rico statehood

megaton24

Rookie
Sep 30, 2012
In 2012, Pueto Ricans voted for statehood in a referendum. What kind of effects would Puerto Rico statehood have and what are the chances of it happening?

In 2012, Pueto Ricans voted for statehood in a referendum. What kind of effects would Puerto Rico statehood have and what are the chances of it happening?

This has been a thing for quite a while. My first thought when it comes up isn't whether it should, or shouldn't happen, but what else is going on right now that someone brought this up again?

Doubt it'd happen - we'd have to redo millions of flags. :)

Here's the current makeup in Puerto Rico:

Ruling Party: New Progressive Party (NPP)

Percentage of votes cast in last election: (2012)

New Progressive Party (NPP)
47.7%

Popular Democratic Party (PDP)
47.1%

Puerto Rican Independence Party (PIP)
2.5%

Working People's Party of Puerto Rico(PPT)
1.0%

Movimiento Union Soberanista (MUS)
0.6%

Puerto Ricans for Puerto Rico Party (PPR)
0.4%

Blank
0.2%

Others
0.1%

Void
0.4%

House of Representatives Seats: (51 members)
Popular Democratic Party: 28 Seats
New Progressive Party: 23 Seats (2012)

Senate: (27 members)
Popular Democratic Party: 18 Seats
New Progressive Party: 8 Seats
Puerto Rican Independence Party: 1 Seat (2012)

The major political parties are: Popular Democratic Party (PPD) 787-725-1992, which supports an enhanced commonwealth status. The New Progressive Party (PNP) 787-721-1992, which supports full U.S. statehood for the island. And the Puerto Rican Independence Party (PIP) 787-782-1455 which supports the independence from the US.

In other words, the political leaders want things to stay the way they are.

It won't happen because Puerto Ricans like being a territory.

They reap the benefits without having to pay for the right to be a State.

Nope. I would be very surprised if Puerto Rico votes for Statehood.

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free??

Exactly.

Uncle Ferd hopes Rosie Perez is one o' dem Puerto Rican girls dats just dyin' to meet him...
icon_redface.gif

Divided Puerto Ricans head to polls to vote on U.S. statehood
Sun Jun 11, 2017 | Puerto Ricans head to the polls on Sunday to decide whether they want their struggling U.S. territory to become the 51st U.S. state, although a vote in favor would likely face an uphill battle in Congress and with President Donald Trump.
The vote comes at a time of economic hardship for the island, hamstrung by $70 billion in debt, a 45-percent poverty rate, woefully underperforming schools, and near-insolvent pension and health systems. Puerto Rico's hazy political status, dating back to its 1898 acquisition by the United States from Spain, has contributed to the economic crisis that pushed it last month into the biggest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. "Statehood hasn't come in the past 120 years. Why would Donald Trump want to make this bankrupt island a state now? It will be another 120 years before that happens," said Miriam Gonzalez, a 66-year-old retiree in San Juan.

Heading into the plebiscite, Puerto Ricans mingling on the quaint and narrow streets of old San Juan were divided over the three options they will face on Sunday's ballot: becoming a U.S. state; remaining a territory; or becoming an independent nation, with or without some continuing political association with the United States. Under the current system, Puerto Rico's 3.5 million American citizens do not pay federal taxes, vote for U.S. presidents or receive proportionate federal funding on programs like Medicaid, though the U.S. government oversees policy and financial areas such as infrastructure, defense and trade.

r

The flags of the U.S. and Puerto Rico fly outside the Capitol building in San Juan, Puerto Rico​

Puerto Rico's recently elected governor Ricardo Rossello campaigned last year on holding a referendum. Rossello's New Progressive Party (PNP) party, which controls Puerto Rico's government, is premised on a pro-statehood stance, while the opposition Popular Democratic Party (PPD) supports versions of the current territory status and a third party, the Puerto Rican Independence Party (PIP), supports independence.

A spokesman for the governor told Reuters he will push Congress to respect a result in favor of statehood, but Puerto Rico is seen as a low priority in Washington. The status referendum is Puerto Rico's fifth since 1967. Statehood won in the last referendum in 2012, though PPD leaders instructed constituents to leave blank hundreds of thousands of ballots, calling the result into question. "Statehood isn't going to happen and the status quo is a trap," said 23-year-old engineering and economics student Daniel Montalvo. "At this point, I think gradual independence is the best option."

Divided Puerto Ricans head to polls to vote on U.S. statehood

They can't declare bankruptcy unless they are an official US state, however, the US isn't interested in taking their debt, so their vote is a waste of PR's time and money.

Republicans would never allow it..It would take away power from them.

Yes, the US has become too political to allow new states into the union. The Democrats would not allow a new state that would vote Republican and vice versa. The US has effectively stopped being a functioning state because of partisan politics.

Well, they just voted YES for the second time this decade and it want 97%.

Republicans time to make it a state!

I doubt it will happen while the GOP has only a two vote majority in the Senate, Mat.

It is likely that at least one of the senators from PR would be a republican....I would think that Jenniffer González (R) would be one of the new senators until elections in 2018, so there would be no change in the partisan composition in the Senate...and there's no reason why she couldn't win reelection considering that she won as a Republican in 2016.

Well, they just voted YES for the second time this decade and it want 97%.

Republicans time to make it a state!

I doubt it will happen while the GOP has only a two vote majority in the Senate, Mat.

It is likely that at least one of the senators from PR would be a republican....I would think that Jenniffer González (R) would be one of the new senators until elections in 2018, so there would be no change in the partisan composition in the Senate...and there's no reason why she couldn't win reelection considering that she won as a Republican in 2016.

PR is a deep blue state. I highly doubt that they would vote in a GOP senator, and I doubt the GOP thinks so either.

Forum List

Back