Psychology ––––– hunting

Next Time

Platinum Member
Oct 5, 2022
Between the Indian and Pacific Oceans
Why is it acceptable to hunt dear, elk or any other meat game that does nothing to their environment, compared to hunting feral animals that cause wildlife destruction and or destroy livestock production?

Last edited:
It can't be because of the 'pleasure of killing', on account of meat hunting is in truth mostly about the pleasure of killing.

IMHO.
I think game hunting has two benefits. The meat and the thrill. As for hunting ferals, culling for the control of the targeted game to lesson the impact it has on native wildlife.

Why is acceptable to hunt dear, elk or any other meat game that does nothing to their environment, compared to hunting feral animals that cause wildlife destruction and or destroy livestock production?

XXXXX-meister edited

When we bought our weekend place the lady left us with over 20 cats.
The nearest shelter was over 50 miles away so trapping them was out of the question.
I shot all but 2 of them which I kept around to kill rodents.
The garage,shop and quonset hut smelled like a giant litter box and they were killing all of the native animals.
So I dont really have an issue with killing feral cats it's how you go about it.
Shooting them with a shotgun or rifle is far more humane than shooting them with a bow.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can't be because of the 'pleasure of killing', on account of meat hunting is in truth mostly about the pleasure of killing.

IMHO.
Another reason for a controlled hunting season is to keep the numbers of a species in a optimum
manageable range for the health of the herds. It's a win-win. Except for the woke community. :eusa_whistle:
Sheesh....it's not rocket science.

What feral animals are you suggesting? Dogs,? Cats? Inner city youth?
There are feral boars/pigs, foxes, cats and dogs, predominately. Pigs wreck crops/agriculture and deprive/compete with livestock. Wild dogs kill livestock. Feral cats can kill livestock such as lambs and kill and compete with native animals. So, they aren't the kind of creature you have sitting on your lap or laying at your feet.

The man has a point, and as an avid hunter myself, I shall give him an answer.

1. Deer meat tastes delicious. So much so, that I don't like beef, but love venison instead. I freakin' love deer meat. It is lean, tasty, and healthier than ground beef.

2. A lot of us do take care of the nuisance animals. I take great delight in removing coyotes that kill fawns, turkeys, and the like. I also eradicate possums and raccoons that eat turkey eggs.

3. Deer can become nuisance animals to a point. In some sections of Kentucky, the Fish and Game department says you have a bag limit of two deer. In other counties, it is up to four deer. I lived in a four deer bag limit county, and I say we should have upped the bag limits, because in a span of five years, I was either the driver, or passenger, in six separate deer collisions. The little bastards were everywhere.

4. I'd like to try other nuisance animals hunting/trapping. :) Hogs need to be killed and eaten you know.

Why is acceptable to hunt dear, elk or any other meat game that does nothing to their environment, compared to hunting feral animals that cause wildlife destruction and or destroy livestock production?
You need to reword your question so that it makes more sense

There are feral boars/pigs, foxes, cats and dogs, predominately. Pigs wreck crops/agriculture and deprive/compete with livestock. Wild dogs kill livestock. Feral cats can kill livestock such as lambs and kill and compete with native animals. So, they aren't the kind of creature you have sitting on your lap or laying at your feet.
What is your complaint about hogs?

In most states they are hunted year round with no limits

Shooting them with a shotgun or rifle is far more humane than shooting them with a bow.
Feral cats aren't small, they can grow to the size of a small to medium size dog. Using a bow is my choice as it is a lot quieter than a firearm. You don't scare them away, plus it's hard to miss at 30-40 meters away at a target the size mentioned earlier. Arrows are reusable.

Why is it acceptable to kill cows chickens and pigs by the billions for food but not dogs and cats?

It's because humans are irrational selfish beings who will find a way to justify even their most irrational behaviors.

Why is it acceptable to kill cows chickens and pigs by the billions for food but not dogs and cats?

It's because humans are irrational selfish beings who will find a way to justify even their most irrational behaviors.
FERAL is the keyword here. Not domesticated animals. Native wildlife doesn't stand a chance against these creatures.

FERAL is the keyword here. Not domesticated animals
Doesn't matter.

Feral cats can be caught and socialized, I've done it. I have had a couple really good cats I got from a shelter that were feral

Because its something serial killers do... A LOT.

Yeah all those slaughterhouse workers must be budding serial killers then right? No one will go for that because people eat those animals. So if a person ate dogs and cats what's the big deal?

People don't save stray dogs, cats, and other animals in need of helping because they are selfish or irrational.

It is because they feel compassion for animals, and that makes them better people.

You feel no compassion. Or at least you're pretending to not!

With the rise of fascism, compassion will die too.

People don't save stray dogs, cats, and other animals in need of helping because they are selfish or irrational.

It is because they feel compassion for animals, and that makes them better people.

You feel no compassion. Or at least you're pretending to not!

With the rise of fascism, compassion will die too.
You really like to ASSume don;t you?

I am a vegan and have chosen not to eat any animal products or use animal products for clothing for ethical reasons.

So maybe you should look up and see the point I was making sail right over your head

Doesn't matter.

Feral cats can be caught and socialized, I've done it. I have had a couple really good cats I got from a shelter that were feral
I think you're comparing stray cats, to feral ones. Two different types of cats. Strays can be rehabilitated, ferals are just that. Try and domesticate a full grown lion. Have fun with that, but a feral is just like the latter but in a smaller package

Forum List

Back