Psychology ––––– hunting

I never even saw the inside of a grocery store until my dad moved us off the home place and went north in my pre-teens.

When you're on 144 acres, have a garden the size of a football field, a trout river and a spring and all of the wild berries, fruit and nut trees you can use, theres just no need.

Heck, I never even had tap water until we moved up north. Or a soda, for that matter. First soda I ever had was sweetened with that artificial sweetner that some kid gave me in school and it gave me the most excruciating headache I've ever had in my life. For days, too.

One thing I will say, and I kind of touched o nthis with someone else recently, is that I didn't learn to hunt the way I see these modern hunters go about it.

Being on that property for several generations, you get to know how, when and where things move. There's no need to trick them while you're waiting in a stand some place near some bait you set out or whatever. No covering your scent and whatnot. You literally hunt them. Basically just stay on the right side of the wind and the elevation become part of the landscape and it'll be a short outing. And they don't even know you're there watching them.

Last edited:
Yes, that's correct. But why did they go wild?

These pigs were once domesticated pigs. They have bred the domestication out of themselves via many generations of breeding outside of that domestication. Foxes were an introduced species for hunting. The ones that escaped the hunt are the spawn of that generation. When you have these creatures compete and in most cases kill native wildlife which should have priority?
Not in California. The Spaniards brought over WILD boars from Spain specially so they could hunt them. Sort of a stupid move, but they are wild, not feral.

Why is it acceptable to hunt dear, elk or any other meat game that does nothing to their environment, compared to hunting feral animals that cause wildlife destruction and or destroy livestock production?
for the same reason the wolf hunts them,,,

FOOD!!!

One whitetail will feed a family for the better part of a year. One Elk can feed several families for a year. Men (and women) have been sustenance hunting since time began. Your question leads me to believe you've never had to actually go out into the wide, wide world and physically gather food for a family. My guess is, along with most other modern folks, your idea of going out and procuring food involves a grocery store, a fast food joint, or a pizza delivery. That ain't gonna be possible in any fathomable emergency situation.

You misunderstood him. He's not against hunting, he's a hunter, as you can see on this thread. He's just asking why is it socially acceptable to hunt deer, elk, etc, but not feral animals that cause wildlife destruction.

Why not?

An animal is an animal and can be eaten.

It is utterly irrational to say you can kill cows pigs and chickens for food but not dogs and cats

Thank you for pointing out the cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy that 92% of Americans are completely oblivious to. :thup:

Why is it acceptable to kill cows chickens and pigs by the billions for food but not dogs and cats?

It's because humans are irrational selfish beings who will find a way to justify even their most irrational behaviors.

I think game hunting has two benefits. The meat and the thrill. As for hunting ferals, culling for the control of the targeted game to lesson the impact it has on native wildlife.
Hunting ferals? You'd better be hunting ferals all the time. If you're not hunting ferals, you're hunting pets.

One whitetail will feed a family for the better part of a year. One Elk can feed several families for a year. Men (and women) have been sustenance hunting since time began. Your question leads me to believe you've never had to actually go out into the wide, wide world and physically gather food for a family. My guess is, along with most other modern folks, your idea of going out and procuring food involves a grocery store, a fast food joint, or a pizza delivery. That ain't gonna be possible in any fathomable emergency situation.
Unfortunately to your assumptions, I have had to provide for my family (service family), in a survival situation. None had a clue and I had to teach and provide for them. But yeah, I do from time to time order pizza and the missus does the groceries.

But as the OP implied, why do the majority not bat an eyelid about game meat hunting, as opposed to freaking out over killing feral animals that endanger the lives of native species. This is what I am on about.

Hunting ferals? You'd better be hunting ferals all the time. If you're not hunting ferals, you're hunting pets.
I think you need to understand the differences between domesticated, wild and feral animals. Domesticated rely on us for food, shelter and love as a bonus. Wild animals are species that are rare to be domesticated and not necessarily something that ever gets tamed, for example, a timber wolf.

Ferals are considered pests, as they kill and compete with native species. The animals were once domesticated like wild pigs/boars/hogs. After generations of breeding out the domestication in them, they become wild pigs/boars/hogs.

So when you consider the above, there are differences in your statement.

Domesticated, Feral, Or Wild: What's The Difference? - The Open Sanctuary Project

Why is it acceptable to hunt dear, elk or any other meat game that does nothing to their environment, compared to hunting feral animals that cause wildlife destruction and or destroy livestock production?
We eliminated many of the predators that controlled the deer population.

I think you need to understand the differences between domesticated, wild and feral animals. Domesticated rely on us for food, shelter and love as a bonus. Wild animals are species that are rare to be domesticated and not necessarily something that ever gets tamed, for example, a timber wolf.

Ferals are considered pests, as they kill and compete with native species. The animals were once domesticated like wild pigs/boars/hogs. After generations of breeding out the domestication in them, they become wild pigs/boars/hogs.

Domesticated, Feral, Or Wild: What's The Difference? - The Open Sanctuary Project
I stand corrected.

I'm fortunate to live in a tiny rural farming town where most women know how to can and have gardens and most men hunt. Gonna be weird when the folks in the city who eat from grocery stores and restaurants eventually start looking at one another as nutrition.

I'm fortunate to live in a tiny rural farming town where most women know how to can and have gardens and most men hunt. Gonna be weird when the folks in the city who eat from grocery stores and restaurants eventually start looking at one another as nutrition.
Certainly will be. I'm in a semi-rural setting. I have the town on one side and the bush on the other. I have prepared enough to cater for both situations.

Cats are viewed as pets. People don't take kindly to that. They might shoot you back.

Unfortunately to your assumptions, I have had to provide for my family (service family), in a survival situation. None had a clue and I had to teach and provide for them. But yeah, I do from time to time order pizza and the missus does the groceries.

But as the OP implied, why do the majority not bat an eyelid about game meat hunting, as opposed to freaking out over killing feral animals that endanger the lives of native species. This is what I am on about.

A lot of this is the difference between game animals and predictors. Cats and dogs are predatory animals - which means long, stringy muscles - they don't taste very good. No one really wants to eat them in the civilized world.

Feral dogs are not a big problem, but feral cats and wild boars are. Boar is also delicious, so that's not a problem for hunting,

Where I'm at, Los Angeles, the biggest "problem" animal is rats - no one wants to eat them either.

But you failed to cover the other part of the question.
you fail to understand the prey predator relationship,,,

if not for the predator the prey become sick and weak and that leads to them dying off in large numbers,,
when humans entered the game and killed off all the predators it falls on us to take their place,,,

A lot of this is the difference between game animals and predictors. Cats and dogs are predatory animals - which means long, stringy muscles - they don't taste very good. No one really wants to eat them in the civilized world.

Feral dogs are not a big problem, but feral cats and wild boars are. Boar is also delicious, so that's not a problem for hunting,

Where I'm at, Los Angeles, the biggest "problem" animal is rats - no one wants to eat them either.
Where I am from, Australia, we have an abundance of feral animals. The ones I mentioned are the most invasive as opposed to the rest of them.

https://www.dcceew.gov.au/environment/invasive-species/feral-animals-australia

Forum List

Back