President wants mandated paid sick leave because why?

Liberals have to lie because the issues they ran in 1970 no longer exist. Sick leave, maternity leave, good grief.

They just got bitch slapped in Nov running on these outdated issues. Corporations and CEO's are evil, greedy, they pollute the planet, they screw over their workers, well it doesn't fly because its not 1970 and its not true. Hell workers now own all or part of the very corporations liberals tell us we should hate. Either directly or via retirement funds. Some of the biggest Wall Street hating lying low life scum Democrats in congress have millions of their own money invested in the stock market.
Obama does these maintenance speeches just to keep the retarded (liberals) from losing focus and confidence.

One speech is usually good for several weeks until he can pull off another stunt. It's all politics, public relations. The truth isn't an issue.

I understand you think there are better options but I dont hear why you're against this option other than you believe people like it better.

Are you even paying attention? The government should not be making the decision. If Acme Explosives wants to do away with paid sick time and offer double the PTO, why should the government stop them from doing it?

Why should companies be the judge, jury and executioner? I dont get it...

The only thing you're saying is govt shouldnt be involved. They arent involved now and very few have paid sick leave or paid maternaity leave. Doesnt that show you what the companies are going to do about it in the future? Or has the companies been super busy and they'll get around to one day?

The companies are the ones doing the paying.

Thats how employment works, yep.

If you don't get that someone not owning a business has no say in what the business offers in benefits, you never will.

Typically speaking people who dont own something most times dont have say so. So yeah, you've nailed the concept of ownership AND employment like a big boy

The government has no place telling a business what they should pay or provide in benefits to a private business.

Why not?

As you said, people who don't own a business have no say. You even understand the concept of ownership yet ask why the government, an entity that doesn't own a private business, has no say.

Exactly, now if you can only understand that Govt is not a person then we'd make great strides

I didn't see your links to alternatives. Perhaps I missed them, but I did read the op more than once.

I've already explained an example. Are you ready to pay attention? Some companies, like the one I've just left, have done away with separate sick time and vacation time. Instead, we got general PTO. Basically came down to 11 days of paid time off, every six months. Longer for people who have been there for five or more years. Or was it three years? Don't remember exactly. The point is, we could use this time for whatever we wanted. If we had to call out sick, take a PTO day. If you want to take an extended weekend, take a couple PTO days. If you want to go on a cruise with the wife, take some PTO time. If you want to attend your cousin's graduation on the other side of the state, take a PTO day.

This actually favors employees better. Sick time is only useable for actual health issues. You cannot dip into it if you have a personal need for time off a month after you come back from vacation. And if you leave that job, you typically lose all that accrued sick time and get nothing for it. On the other hand, having general PTO is available pretty much any time you want, whether it be sick or personal time. If you want to take a month long vacation each year, you can do that. If you want to take two vacations every year at two weeks in length, you can do that. If you want to take five vacation days each year and let the rest of your time build up to save in case of an emergency, you can do that. If you want to leave your job and burn all your PTO before you go, you can do that.

Mandating sick time for everyone would force companies to abandon these kinds of practices, to the detriment of employees.

Are you even paying attention? The government should not be making the decision. If Acme Explosives wants to do away with paid sick time and offer double the PTO, why should the government stop them from doing it?

The only thing you're saying is govt shouldnt be involved. They arent involved now and very few have paid sick leave or paid maternaity leave. Doesnt that show you what the companies are going to do about it in the future? Or has the companies been super busy and they'll get around to one day?

If you don't get that someone not owning a business has no say in what the business offers in benefits, you never will.

Typically speaking people who dont own something most times dont have say so. So yeah, you've nailed the concept of ownership AND employment like a big boy

The government has no place telling a business what they should pay or provide in benefits to a private business.

Why not?

As you said, people who don't own a business have no say. You even understand the concept of ownership yet ask why the government, an entity that doesn't own a private business, has no say.

Exactly, now if you can only understand that Govt is not a person then we'd make great strides

When you understand that government has not place dictating what a business pays, this country can make great strides.

Fuck Obama & his communist ideas. I do not offer paid sick leave & never will. I pay for production. They don't work they don't get paid. Period

Well, that's your choice, but I've always wondered about the wisdom of such a position. Workers who don't have paid time off available when they are sick tend to come to work when they are sick, which leads to illness spreading at the workplace and loss of productivity as sick workers have reduced production.

But, like I said, it's your choice. And it's their choice if they want to work for you.

Sadly you've posted a link to the willfully, and some not willfully ignorant. It takes a modicum of intelligence and the ability to think outside the tiny box of callous conservatism to understand your post.

Consider those who prepare your food before you wonder about making it the choice of the business owner.

I consider the company before making my own choice of where I spend my money. I prefer companies that conduct their business with integrity. If I have any question or concern that a restaurant cannot prepare my food safely, I will not spend my money there. Just one of the many reasons I don't spend my money at McDonalds.

I didn't see your links to alternatives. Perhaps I missed them, but I did read the op more than once.

I've already explained an example. Are you ready to pay attention? Some companies, like the one I've just left, have done away with separate sick time and vacation time. Instead, we got general PTO. Basically came down to 11 days of paid time off, every six months. Longer for people who have been there for five or more years. Or was it three years? Don't remember exactly. The point is, we could use this time for whatever we wanted. If we had to call out sick, take a PTO day. If you want to take an extended weekend, take a couple PTO days. If you want to go on a cruise with the wife, take some PTO time. If you want to attend your cousin's graduation on the other side of the state, take a PTO day.

This actually favors employees better. Sick time is only useable for actual health issues. You cannot dip into it if you have a personal need for time off a month after you come back from vacation. And if you leave that job, you typically lose all that accrued sick time and get nothing for it. On the other hand, having general PTO is available pretty much any time you want, whether it be sick or personal time. If you want to take a month long vacation each year, you can do that. If you want to take two vacations every year at two weeks in length, you can do that. If you want to take five vacation days each year and let the rest of your time build up to save in case of an emergency, you can do that. If you want to leave your job and burn all your PTO before you go, you can do that.

Mandating sick time for everyone would force companies to abandon these kinds of practices, to the detriment of employees.
I don't see how Obama would have a problem saying that scheme was good enough. As I understand his issue, he opposes employees choosing between taking unpaid leave, working while sick, or having to work up hours to make up for time off while sick. We all have limits on how much leave we accrue and can carry over.

Why not?

When you understand that government has not place dictating what a business pays, this country can make great strides.

govt policies instituted at the behest of employers affect the labor market. So, it make no sense to argues workers cannot use politics to their own advantage. And, there's no invisible hand setting true value in markets. That economic fallacy was debunked long ago.

Why not?

govt policies instituted at the behest of employers affect the labor market. So, it make no sense to argues workers cannot use politics to their own advantage. And, there's no invisible hand setting true value in markets. That economic fallacy was debunked long ago.

To say that means you think workers are on the same level as the one doing the paying. That's been debunked long ago.

Why not?

To say that means you think workers are on the same level as the one doing the paying. That's been debunked long ago.
by whom?

Our company allows employees to donate vacation time to a fellow employee who has run out of available sick time, yet is not ready to return to work.

by whom?

The definitions of owner and worker. If you think you're on the same level as your boss, try telling him/her what to do. Because my job schedule allows it, I do part time residential remodeling. I hire people to do all sorts of work. Because I pay them, they do what I say not the other way around.

Our company allows employees to donate vacation time to a fellow employee who has run out of available sick time, yet is not ready to return to work.
I think we can't do that anymore because we had one guy who literally was sick for years.

Mine, too with a limit.

by whom?

The definitions of owner and worker. If you think you're on the same level as your boss, try telling him/her what to do. Because my job schedule allows it, I do part time residential remodeling. I hire people to do all sorts of work. Because I pay them, they do what I say not the other way around.
And the law can mandate what you must pay, the working conditions and even fine you for not providing a HC benefit.

by whom?

And the law can mandate what you must pay, the working conditions and even fine you for not providing a HC benefit.

And I can get rid of as many as I want, make the conditions legal to the minimum, and cut hours so I don't have to provide HC benefits. Don't like it, tough shit.

by whom?

And I can get rid of as many as I want, make the conditions legal to the minimum, and cut hours so I don't have to provide HC benefits. Don't like it, tough shit.

Whoa, wait, you mean react to new laws and change behavior? Liberals NEVER expect you to do that.

by whom?

all true. But you can be regulated by workers who vote pols to their liking.

by whom?

Just because the government can, does not mean that the government should.

by whom?

Just because the government can, does not mean that the government should.
Just because wages can fall to a certain level, does not mean they should be allowed to do so.

Just because wages can fall to a certain level, does not mean they should be allowed to do so.

Why do you liberals think that everything is up to the government to fix? If your wages are falling, do something about it. Don't sit back and wait for the government to wipe and powder your ass.

Forum List

Back