Pregnant librarian shot dead. Self Defense?

A case of road rage in Central Florida left one of the motorists, a mother-to-be, dead last Saturday evening.

According to the Orange City Police Department, the incident began around 5 p.m. Nov. 20 when Sara Nicole Morales, 35, hit Andrew Derr’s motorcycle with her blue Kia. It is unclear why she hit his bike.

Though Derr was not injured or ejected in the “minor accident,” he said he followed Morales to get her information for law enforcement after she drove away from the scene, according to investigators.

Derr, along with two witnesses, verbally attempted to have Morales stop at the intersection while she was making a left turn, but she refused, says a social media release.

Morales drove to her home and went inside. Derr and the witnesses followed her. They stopped in the roadway in front of her home and called 911, say investigators. Morales re-emerged a short time later with a firearm and pointed it at them, continues the post.

Derr, who has a valid Florida concealed weapons permit, drew his concealed handgun and fired, striking Morales “multiple times.”

The motorcyclist remained on scene, where Orange City Fire Rescue responded to provide medical care. Morales was transported to a local hospital where she died from her injuries.

The woman, a Volusia County librarian, was reportedly four to five months pregnant and leaves behind an 11-year-old daughter and a fiancé.

As of Wednesday, no one had been charged in this case, though police say an investigation is ongoing.

In newly released bodycam video, Derr can be seen on the ground.

“That girl tried to kill me,” he says. “She pointed a gun at me. I’m so sorry.”

Pregnant woman hits motorcycle guy in a minor accident with her Kia. The bike didn't even fall over.

Woman flees scene of the accident. Guy on bike follows her.

Woman goes into house, comes out with a gun.

Man shoots her dead.

Self defense?
Yes

Given how he subsequently behaved, I suspect he and his buddies were probably pretty aggressive after she hit him. As a woman, I can see how frightening it be to be followed home like, in fact I’d be freaked out. I had something kind of similar happen. I was driving in Pittsburgh, was lost, accidentally cut a guy off (no one got hit, no accident). He followed me, tried to cut me off several times, I kept driving until I found a place that other people around and pulled into the parking lot. He came up next to me yelling and swearing at me. I apologized and explained I was lost but he just kept on. I left and he followed me. It was absolutely freaky.
The issue is she came back out of her house and didn’t call the police and wait inside.

Sorry, but if the story is true she got herself killed by coming back out with a firearm and pointing it at the person…

5ef9bff9bf3ba.image.jpg

Could you shoot this woman dead?

She was pointing her gun at about 150 people. Any one of them could've been armed.

The crowd was nice and didn't shoot her.

Given how he subsequently behaved, I suspect he and his buddies were probably pretty aggressive after she hit him. As a woman, I can see how frightening it be to be followed home like, in fact I’d be freaked out. I had something kind of similar happen. I was driving in Pittsburgh, was lost, accidentally cut a guy off (no one got hit, no accident). He followed me, tried to cut me off several times, I kept driving until I found a place that other people around and pulled into the parking lot. He came up next to me yelling and swearing at me. I apologized and explained I was lost but he just kept on. I left and he followed me. It was absolutely freaky.

Yeah, that is what this sounds like. It may be that by coming out with a gun in her hand, that she framed the situation such that the man can legally claim self defense.

But, the fact that she had a gun in her hand and he was able to pull and fire multiple times, makes me think that the woman was just trying to run them off, and not prepared to actually fire. A fatal mistake on her part.

The issue is she came back out of her house and didn’t call the police and wait inside.

Sorry, but if the story is true she got herself killed by coming back out with a firearm and pointing it at the person…h

She was probably under the influence of this damned gunslinger mentality. So much for MAGA.

5ef9bff9bf3ba.image.jpg

Could you shoot this woman dead?

She was pointing her gun at about 150 people. Any one of them could've been armed.

The crowd was nice and didn't shoot her.
It is the choice of those being threatened…

You are trying to make it where the guy that shot the woman should have allowed her to point the firearm at him which she can not and cost her life.

What the guy did wrong:

1. Followed her.

2. Went to her home without Police.

What the woman did wrong:

1. Did a hit and run without exchanging information.

2. Came out of her home with the gun.

Note:

Had the guy illegally entered her home or came onto her property then he could be facing trespassing issues but what it sounds like he did neither or I missed that part.

Her coming out of the home with a firearm was stupid in her part and she should have called the police and reported a man stalking her and possible rape and then the man would have been taken into custody.

The woman most likely didn’t have insurance or could have been illegal to drive or something else and thought bringing a gun out was going to scare the man but it didn’t.

We need a lot more information about her and him but she is dead because of her stupidity.

She was probably under the influence of this damned gunslinger mentality. So much for MAGA.

It matter not if he is MAGA or not because she first left a scene of the accident, and then came out with a firearm, so she caused her own death.

It matter not if he is MAGA or not because she first left a scene of the accident, and then came out with a firearm, so she caused her own death.

Sadly, I agree. The men had called 911 to report a hit and run and they weren't on her property.

Sadly, I agree. The men had called 911 to report a hit and run and they weren't on her property.
This is why everyone need to be careful with what they do in life…

I have been in three car accidents in the last ten years and two were my fault…

The two I was the cause of I got out of my car or truck and apologized for my mistake, offered the information needed and called my insurance company claiming full at fault…

The one that I was the victim the guy was crying and shaken up, and I told him shit happens…

How we act and react make things better or could get you killed…

She had a duty to give the information even if he was being a belligerent asshole…

Now what she should have done is what Tipsycatlover wrote and she should have drove to the nearest police station, requested help and let the police write the citations that were needed.

Seeing she didn’t and thought she had the right to bring a gun out to a man that was not illegal on her property or breaking into her home, well you read it before she caused her own death…

No. They were not trespassing. They weren't on her property. They were waiting for the police.

This is what happens when people are so effed up and excitable they lose their damned minds.
Pay attention MORON I was talking about the ST Louis couple and the mob as evidence by my REPLYING to that post.

I would've got her plate and car and her with my phone camera.

I wouldn't have shot her. I would've put my hands up. Odds are a librarian isn't going to pull the trigger.
You assume too much.

You assume that the man had time to pull out a cellphone, and or even have the mental clarity to do such after he just got hit.

You also assume that the guy knew she was a librarian and pregnant. How in the hell was he supposed to know she was a librarian?

Forum List

Back