Potato soup question

OP
miketx

miketx

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I believe I addressed the problem with thickness in the past soup/bean recipes.
You either make a flour roux or you blend a portion of your base,in this case potatoes and add it to the pot.

;)
You kill me Man!!!
I thought you had a gun instead of a bag of flour!
Did you look in my right hand?
Yeah but it was so small I couldn't see what it was.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Reaction score
In short....you can always add thickness to a pot of anything by making a roux or blending a part of your base.
I actually prefer a roux if the pot is meat based.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I believe I addressed the problem with thickness in the past soup/bean recipes.
You either make a flour roux or you blend a portion of your base,in this case potatoes and add it to the pot.

;)
You kill me Man!!!
Why you...!!!!!
I'll get you for this!!!! It was supposed to be our secret!!!!

OP
miketx

miketx

Diamond Member
Reaction score
In short....you can always add thickness to a pot of anything by making a roux or blending a part of your base.
Ok, see I don't know what that is, roux or base, although I can look it up. however, the easy thing to do, in spite of me being mean to you, is just tell me what it means and I'll take it all back! :)

OP
miketx

miketx

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Why you...!!!!!
It looked like a small remote control for a garage door only different. Sort of looked like this:

TroglocratsRdumb

Platinum Member
Reaction score
HereWeGoAgain

I make a simple potato soup by dicing about 5 potatoes, boiling them, adding two cups of milk and a half stick of butter. It comes out ok and tastes like it did when I was a kid. It seems to be too watery. Any ideas on how to thicken it up a little, not a lot, so it will have a little thickness?
add cheese and bacon and onions and pepper

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Ok, see I don't know what that is, roux or base, although I can look it up. however, the easy thing to do, in spite of me being mean to you, is just tell me what it means and I'll take it all back! :)
A roux is a flour based thickener using the oil from your fats and equal parts flour, while a blended base is your basic ingredients in your pot ran through a blender.
Say your dish is bacon based,you take the fat from the bacon and you make a roux with it.
Thicken it up and add it to your dish.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Reaction score
You kill me Man!!!
Why you...!!!!!
It looked like a small remote control for a garage door only different. Sort of looked like this:

You cant fool me!!!
Thats a phaser!!!

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Why you...!!!!!

You cant fool me!!!
Thats a phaser!!!
I have the blueprints of every starship be they good or bad along with the TriCorder !!!!
i bet you have tribbles as a pet!!!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Reaction score
my mother in law, who was a Texan, God rest her soul, made a delicious potato soup,

in the pot she was going to boil the diced potatoes she would saute diced onion, a little bit of celery with cut up bacon bits, once the onions were soft and bacon bits crispy she added the potatoes and boiled them in a little chicken broth to just before they were fully cooked and the potatoes soaked in most all of the chicken broth.... I'm sorry I do not know her measurements of everything, I just know the ingredients...

Then she would add a 50/50 mixture of milk and cream, or milk and half and half, with a tab or two of butter and boil the potato mixture in that to cook them the rest of the way, with salt and pepper...

if it needed thickening, (some times the cream made it thick enough), she took out some potatoes and mashed them, and put them back in the soup, then sprinkled a little parsley over it.

there was no other word to describe her potato soup that gives justice, other than

YUMMY!

If you are on any kind of diet, DO NOT TRY THIS, you can't help but go back for seconds...

iamwhatiseem

Gold Member
Reaction score
my mother in law, who was a Texan, God rest her soul, made a delicious potato soup,

in the pot she was going to boil the diced potatoes she would saute diced onion, a little bit of celery with cut up bacon bits, once the onions were soft and bacon bits crispy she added the potatoes and boiled them in a little chicken broth to just before they were fully cooked and the potatoes soaked in most all of the chicken broth.... I'm sorry I do not know her measurements of everything, I just know the ingredients...

Then she would add a 50/50 mixture of milk and cream, or milk and half and half, with a tab or two of butter and boil the potato mixture in that to cook them the rest of the way, with salt and pepper...

if it needed thickening, (some times the cream made it thick enough), she took out some potatoes and mashed them, and put them back in the soup, then sprinkled a little parsley over it.

there was no other word to describe her potato soup that gives justice, other than

YUMMY!

If you are on any kind of diet, DO NOT TRY THIS, you can't help but go back for seconds...
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Potato soup made with water is..wait for it... going to be watery.
Chicken broth will add a ton of that "comfort" flavor.
Also a mixture of cream and milk will thicken it usually enough.

Likkmee

Gold Member
Reaction score
I add a couple egg yolks at near the end and stir briskly. Dont forget pepper

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List