Potato soup question

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
HereWeGoAgain

I make a simple potato soup by dicing about 5 potatoes, boiling them, adding two cups of milk and a half stick of butter. It comes out ok and tastes like it did when I was a kid. It seems to be too watery. Any ideas on how to thicken it up a little, not a lot, so it will have a little thickness?

HereWeGoAgain

I make a simple potato soup by dicing about 5 potatoes, boiling them, adding two cups of milk and a half stick of butter. It comes out ok and tastes like it did when I was a kid. It seems to be too watery. Any ideas on how to thicken it up a little, not a lot, so it will have a little thickness?

My mom always took out a few potatoes mashed them up and stirred them back in as a thickener. A little flour or cornstarch slurry would work too.

yes on everything already mentioned or just mix in a little bit of Dried Mashed potato flakes Mike ,

• Banned
Thank you, I think I have the answer now.

If you don’t wish to add corn starch or flour you can always use an immersion blender to thicken it up.

• Banned
If you don’t wish to add corn starch or flour you can always use an immersion blender to thicken it up.
Well, I leave the potatoes whole.

or Simmers and let the milk and water disappear as the soup thickens Mike ,

HereWeGoAgain

You'll have to ask the Wife when it comes to tater soup.
She loves the stuff so She puts Her heart and soul in it and it shows.
If ya want Her recipe I'll be glad to get it for you.....I figure it'll only take a few slaps upside the head before she gives it up.

HereWeGoAgain

You'll have to ask the Wife when it comes to tater soup.
She loves the stuff so She puts Her heart and soul in it and it shows.
If ya want Her recipe I'll be glad to get it for you.....I figure it'll only take a few slaps upside the head before she gives it up.

Okay.....I only had to smack Her once and she gave it up.
The Pioneer Women.

So do I. Give it just a little zap with the immersion blender and it will keep the majority of those taters whole. You can add some leftover water from boiling the taters as well if to don’t want to use the blender.

I believe I addressed the problem with thickness in the past soup/bean recipes.
You either make a flour roux or you blend a portion of your base,in this case potatoes and add it to the pot.

I believe I addressed the problem with thickness in the past soup/bean recipes.
You either make a flour roux or you blend a portion of your base,in this case potatoes and add it to the pot.

;)

So do I. Give it just a little zap with the immersion blender and it will keep the majority of those taters whole. You can add some leftover water from boiling the taters as well if to don’t want to use the blender.

Exactly.
We regularly pull out beans or taters and blend them to add thickness.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Forum List

Back