Poison plants and trees.

We had three Sago palms in the backyard by the pool,they were great for that location since they dont shed leaves.
Come to find out they were extremely poisonous to dogs.
Since we'd just got two new puppies that chewed on everything I told the gardener to get rid of them and not to leave any remains.
All of a sudden both Boxer Puppies got sick so we rushed them to the emergency vet in the middle of the night.
Yep,it was Sago poisoning,the dumbfuck gardener left the worst parts he could have left,the bulbs that are normally underground.
$10,000 bucks later the Pupps were fine.It would have only been 5k but the Male Gadsden got Parvo while he was at the vet hospital.
We had to keep the two of them separated for 3 months in kennels in the living room and had to wear paper gowns and gloves when handling Gadsden and spray everything we could with a water bleach mixture.
What a fucken nightmare!!!

Up here in Wisconsin we have something called a "wood nettle." The weed is prolific and grows everywhere. It has stinging hairs that produce a painful burning sensation, following by rash and blistering, which can last for several days...

weeds1.jpg

weeds2.jpg

The good thing is that there's another weed that tends to grow mixed in with it: It's called "Jewel Weed." You can pick one of the plants, crush it up in your hands, rub it on the afflicted area, and the burning stops almost immediately...

weeds3.jpg

weeds4.jpg

Any plant could, potentially, be poisonous ... it's best to be safe ...

2019-02-25T192127Z_144541735_RC1E4C141B90_RTRMADP_3_BRAZIL-AGRICULTURE-GLYPHOSATE-1024x683.jpg

There are lots of landscaping plants one has to be careful with. Devil's/Angel Trumpets for instance. Castor beans. I always get a bit of a chuckle when I hear some of the stories about people passing out while trying to carry laurel cuttings off to dump them elsewhere (they give off cyanide fumes).

Illinois has a lot of wild hemlock growing along the roadsides, that stuff is poisonous enough to kill you, you need to wear a mask and glasses when cutting it down, and don't have your skin exposed.

So far only poison I got was Ivey or Sumac. Thanks for heads up though, always good to know.

Forum List

Back