Anyone have any idea what this plant is?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Google Image says Wild Cabbage, but obviously I am not in coastal Europe.

Lived here 4 years and never seen them before, they are growing like crazy. The tallest parts (not in photo) is about 4 feet tall.
I placed a tennis ball for reference

IMG_1244.jpg

Lived here 4 years and never seen them before, they are growing like crazy. The tallest parts (not in photo) is about 4 feet tall.

View attachment 643737

It looks like a type of plant called "dock.''

Rumex obtusifolius
Species of plant
Rumex obtusifolius, commonly known as bitter dock, broad-leaved dock, bluntleaf dock, dock leaf or butter dock, is a perennial plant in the family Polygonaceae. It is native to Europe, but is found on all temperate continents. It is a highly invasive species in some zones, resulting from its abundant seed dispersal, adaptability to reproduce, aggressive roots, ability to tolerate extreme climates,... Wikipedia

It looks like a type of plant called "dock.''

Rumex obtusifolius
Species of plant
Rumex obtusifolius, commonly known as bitter dock, broad-leaved dock, bluntleaf dock, dock leaf or butter dock, is a perennial plant in the family Polygonaceae. It is native to Europe, but is found on all temperate continents. It is a highly invasive species in some zones, resulting from its abundant seed dispersal, adaptability to reproduce, aggressive roots, ability to tolerate extreme climates,... Wikipedia
Thank you.... however this plant is considerably larger. And the leaves are not oval shaped. No part of the stem is red.

May have a winner.....
Does look like this a lot... Burdock.
Which is actually very good for you... but yeah... obviously not going to try eating it.

Burdock-9-1-720x540.jpg

If you've never seen them before and now are going crazy, I'd suggest digging them up & toss in the trash.

Dock has a loooong tap root, that if you don't get all of it, it will come back. And not all dock or rhubarb is red.

View attachment 643737

Pretty sure that is common Burdock, an herb used for their roots.

Forum List

Back