Plane Flies Unresponsive over DC....Crashes in Staunton, VA

The Pentagon has stated that the fighters were not involved in the plane crash. The Cessna Citation, which can carry up to 12 passengers, was believed to be on autopilot and was unresponsive to air traffic control, suggesting possible pilot incapacitation.

Wreckage of small plane which crashed in Virginia has not yet been found, according to state police. Still no word on how many people were on board....

State Police says they were notified of “a possible aircraft crash” in the Staunton/Blue Ridge Parkway region and search efforts are underway by law enforcement. But VSP “unable to fly the area due to fog and low clouds within the mountains."

There are two Blackhawks and a VSP helo in the area now.

The crash site is, as the crow flies, is about 100 miles SW of DC in the Shenandoah Valley....Looks like the plane ran out of fuel.

1685917052066.jpeg

I'm in the DC area and it was weird...I heard an unusual rumble. It wasn't a loud bang but I wondered whether there was some sort of gas line explosion off in the distance.

"A loud boom in the Washington DC area which residents of the US capital said shook houses and sounded like an explosion was caused by military jets which had been scrambled to deal with an airspace violation.

US officials have confirmed that the sound was the sonic boom of fighters pursuing a light aircraft that had entered restricted territory over the US capital."

This update still doesn't tell too many details. Somebody is hacking the information I was linked to. I apologize. I'm really sorry to hear there was a threat to DC by someone who may have been impaired considering the flier did not respond why his Cessna was over DC, on its way to Long Island (?)

Forum List

Back