Philly-area group pairs with Red Cross to offer helping ‘paw’ to displaced pets

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
"After a fire broke out at Dorothy Phillips’ apartment in Philadelphia, the Red Cross gave her a temporary place to stay. Unfortunately, the shelter would not accept her beloved dog, Max.

Who would care for him while she looked for a new home? “As far as I’m concerned, he’s one of my grandbabies,” Phillips said. Max is now being boarded in a kennel in a Philadelphia suburb thanks to Red Paw, an animal rescue group that has a unique partnership with the southeastern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross.

While Red Cross workers tend to human victims of residential disasters like fires, floods or building collapses, Red Paw takes care of their animals.

The nearly 2-year-old agency uses a network of volunteers, foster homes and other animal welfare groups to care for pets whose owners are struggling to rebuild their lives. Help includes veterinary care, pet supplies and temporary boarding — all free of charge."
Philly-area group pairs with Red Cross to offer helping ?paw? to pets displaced by fire, flood - The Washington Post

This should be provided for by the PETS Act or similar legislation as well: The official name of the PETS Act is Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act of 2006. This legislation amends the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act.

The amendments specified in the PETS Act are intended to ensure that state and local emergency preparedness operational planning addresses the needs of individuals with household pets and service animals following a major disaster or emergency."
Disaster Preparedness : What is the PETS Act? : ASPCA Professional

Depending on how bad the weather was, I think I'd just live in my car with my dog. They can keep their damn shelter. I'm talking about the shelter that wouldn't let her keep her dog with her.

Not allowing people to have their animals with them after some sort of calamity just adds to their stress. If I was at all able, I'd tell the Red Cross to go fuck themselves, and just set up camp somewhere. Hell, the homeless people do it, why can't I?

That said, it's nice that someone is trying to do THE RIGHT THING and provide some sort of option for people with pets.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back