People of Oregon form militia's

At least they aren't fully brain dead out west.

Outraged residents in rural Oregon have formed amateur armed patrol groups to replace the budget-stricken police department.
The unusual move comes after Josephine County sheriff announced officials will now only respond to life-threatening situations after losing necessary government grants.
But county governors, fearful of anarchy, have condemned the organisation, urging citizens to hike their taxes instead.
The conflict arose after the national government stopped paying the county's federal timber subsidies - reimbursment for working on the forest - and proposed a tax hike instead.

Residents form 'vigilante groups' after cuts to sheriff department's budget mean police only respond to life-threatening incidents | Mail Online

Vigilantism is a serious problem. You cannot control such a group. They are the type of people who hanged people in the Old West, w/o trial, who lynched blacks in the south. It's very problematic to put any Tom, Dick and Harry in charge of carrying out justice. Someone is going to end up hurt or dead for no good reason, an innocent person. And please don't tell me I know nothing about this or these people: I am from Oregon, my people were loggers. I know exactly what these people are like. I find it ironic that they are up in arms (pun intended) because their subsidies, what is essentially welfare, from the government have been cut off. They are unwilling to work in other areas outside of the timber industry, so they are broke.

Last edited:
Oh, so you live out here?

We've had "these groups" since forever out in the hinterlands. They're called armed residents. It's why our crime rate is so low, despite the fact that the feds stole the land, halted developmment, and stole the primary source of income...logging.

BTW, there's a difference between vigilantism and protecting property/life and limb. Vigilanties go after people they believe have broken the law, and they carry out some form of punishment.

These people are just protecting property and discouraging criminal activity by their PRESENCE. When drug runners see residents out in force, they are most likely to take their operations elsewhere. If one person comes upon them, they're likely to kill him.

Outraged residents in rural Oregon have formed amateur armed patrol groups to replace the budget-stricken police department.
The unusual move comes after Josephine County sheriff announced officials will now only respond to life-threatening situations after losing necessary government grants.
But county governors, fearful of anarchy, have condemned the organisation, urging citizens to hike their taxes instead.
The conflict arose after the national government stopped paying the county's federal timber subsidies - reimbursment for working on the forest - and proposed a tax hike instead.

Residents form 'vigilante groups' after cuts to sheriff department's budget mean police only respond to life-threatening incidents | Mail Online

Vigilantism is a serious problem. You cannot control such a group. They are the type of people who hanged people in the Old West, w/o trial, who lynched blacks in the south. It's very problematic to put any Tom, Dick and Harry in charge of carrying out justice. Someone is going to end up hurt or dead for no good reason, an innocent person. And please don't tell me I know nothing about this or these people: I am from Oregon, my people were loggers. I know exactly what these people are like. I find it ironic that they are up in arms (pun intended) because their subsidies, what is essentially welfare, from the government have been cut off. They are unwilling to work in other areas outside of the timber industry, so they are broke.

Criminal gang are even worse

That supposedly militant group is known as the North Valley Community Watch, a county-wide organization dedicated to helping citizens in non-life-threatening situations, primarily property crimes. They do not respond to life threatening emergencies nor any incidents where law enforcement maintains a current policy of response. Basically, they are an expanded neighborhood watch association which covers the county.

About Us | North Valley Community Watch

Last edited:

Another casualty of Bush, Republicans, and wall street.

My God but you're an avowed brain dead liberal. Incredible! :cuckoo:

So prior to 2007 they didn't have the budget?

The residents could organize an auxiliary Police Force through and under the direction of the Sheriff's Department. That would open the door to training, Emergency Response, First-Aid skills, and the like. If the Feds stopped paying for timber subsidies, it should no longer have access to the timber. Value for value.
They do not respond to emergencies. They primarily respond to reports of prowlers and property crimes helping residents file reports.

That supposedly militant group is known as the North Valley Community Watch, a county-wide organization dedicated to helping citizens in non-life-threatening situations, primarily property crimes. They do not respond to life threatening emergencies nor any incidents where law enforcement maintains a current policy of response. Basically, they are an expanded neighborhood watch association which covers the county.

Maybe you should read what the source says instead of giving your opinion about what this group does.

I've been making money and you?

Hahaha spending every minute on an internet forum? Right, sure you are. They pay you per post or something? Anything else? Let me guess you're also very attractive too and the opposite sex loves you.

Guess you can look when I posted last.
That is if you can understand the time posting mark.

Maybe you should read what the source says instead of giving your opinion about what this group does.
Maybe you should read what the local newspapers say and the organization web site instead of a UK tabloid.

They act as a deterrent.

I don't see that is in conflict with anything bigreb has posted.

Mission:

Provide protection to NVCW members until law enforcement arrives.
Provide deterrence to crime by being ever vigilant for crime or suspicious activity in our community.
Document accurately observations of crimes.
Communicate rapidly and effectively with Community Watch members and law enforcement.
Assist those in need in reporting crime or suspicious persons or activity to law enforcement authorities.
Provide training and suggestions on ways neighbors and our community can detect, deter and prevent crime.

Our Mission | North Valley Community Watch

They act as a deterrent.

Mission:

Provide deterrence to crime by being ever vigilant for crime or suspicious activity in our community.
Communicate rapidly and effectively with Community Watch members and law enforcement.
Assist those in need in reporting crime or suspicious persons or activity to law enforcement authorities.
Provide training and suggestions on ways neighbors and our community can detect, deter and prevent crime.

Pretty much. He's bent out of shape because people have taken it it upon themselves to protect and defend others.

They act as a deterrent.

Mission:

So instead of funding our police we should have a bunch of busy-bodies do it for us?

They act as a deterrent.

Mission:

So instead of funding our police we should have a bunch of busy-bodies do it for us?

Who decides how funding is spent (hint: it's not the average citizen)?

I've lived in our little town aprox. 25 yrs. and I have never known of anyone who remembers our having a police dept. We get along a lot better than NYC seems to.

Forum List

Back