Pat Toomey: Background Checks Died Because GOP Didn't Want To Help Obama

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Amazing to see a repubican admit to the reason for "NO" votes.

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) revealed that some members of his party opposed expanding background checks for gun sales recently because they didn't want to "be seen helping the president."

Two weeks ago, only three Republican senators voted for the bipartisan background checks amendment sponsored by Toomey and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), despite overwhelming popular support for such a measure.

"In the end it didn’t pass because we're so politicized. There were some on my side who did not want to be seen helping the president do something he wanted to get done, just because the president wanted to do it,” Toomey admitted on Tuesday in an interview with Digital First Media editors in the offices of the Times Herald newspaper in Norristown, Pa.
<more>

It's funny watching cons make excuses, while Toomey has the balls to admit what the problem is. Everyone knows Toomey is right.

It's not rare for politicians to be unhelpful to someone who doesn't belong to the correct party. Saying " I don't want to help the other side is sometimes much easier than talking a solid stance on an issue such as gun control.

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) revealed that some members of his party opposed expanding background checks for gun sales recently because they didn't want to "be seen helping the president."

Two weeks ago, only three Republican senators voted for the bipartisan background checks amendment sponsored by Toomey and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), despite overwhelming popular support for such a measure.

"In the end it didn&#8217;t pass because we're so politicized. There were some on my side who did not want to be seen helping the president do something he wanted to get done, just because the president wanted to do it,&#8221; Toomey admitted on Tuesday in an interview with Digital First Media editors in the offices of the Times Herald newspaper in Norristown, Pa.
<more>

It all goes back to this asshole standing up and saying this, and nothing's changed:

This mouth-breathing slime and his party lost last year to the black man and so they took their ball and went home. They are content to let people die before they work with the ELECTED President of the United States.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does Obama threaten the democrats with if they don't vote his way?

"In the end it didn’t pass because we're so politicized. There were some on my side who did not want to be seen helping the president do something he wanted to get done, just because the president wanted to do it,” Toomey admitted on Tuesday in an interview with Digital First Media editors in the offices of the Times Herald newspaper in Norristown, Pa.
<more>

It all goes back to this asshole standing up and saying this, and nothing's changed:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc]Mitch McConnell: Top Priority, Make Obama a One Term President - YouTube[/ame]

This mouth-breathing slime and his party lost last year to the black man and so they took their ball and went home. They are content to let people die before they work with the ELECTED President of the United States.

And your not slime also?? why do you think it right to take constitutional rights from people?

When one group disagrees with you they are slime?? so much for tolerance.

Toomey is beginning to get the hang of being a Senator from a purple state. He must want the job for awhile.

I am a native West Virginian who has moved between there and Pennsylvania my entire life. Manchin has always been a moderate Democrat, but Toomey is a tool. He is definitely only pandering to Pennsylvanians to keep his job.

Whine whine whine. My 'bi-partisan" bill didn't get passed because those dastardly senators in my party ....yada yoda fill in the blanks.

Toomey is beginning to get the hang of being a Senator from a purple state. He must want the job for awhile.

I am a native West Virginian who has moved between there and Pennsylvania my entire life. Manchin has always been a moderate Democrat, but Toomey is a tool. He is definitely only pandering to Pennsylvanians to keep his job.

Pandering is a word people often use when they don't like a politician representing a certain point of view held overwhelmingly by his constituents.

Gun Control died because the GOP is okay with more Newtowns, Auroras, VA Techs, Columbines, and the list will no doubt grow over time. The GOP/NRA will have more blood on their hands.

Pandering is a word people often use when they don't like a politician representing a certain point of view held overwhelmingly by his constituents.

Pandering is exactly what Toomey is doing. He is doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. All he wants is votes, and he won't get mine no matter how much I agree with him on this one issue.

Obama doesn't threaten them he brides them with back room and under the table deals it's no secret that's how he got Obamacare passed. On the original topic of this thread it does not seem to occur to Toomey or the left that the reason universal background checks failed is because people saw it for what it was and is a cheap political stunt that would do nothing to prevent mass shootings like Newtown.

Obama doesn't threaten them he brides them with back room and under the table deals it's no secret that's how he got Obamacare passed. On the original topic of this thread it does not seem to occur to Toomey or the left that the reason universal background checks failed is because people saw it for what it was and is a cheap political stunt that would do nothing to prevent mass shootings like Newtown.

You are suddenly outraged that he is bribing people with backroom, under the table deals? You must be new to politics. :eusa_eh:

<more>

ATF form 4473 proves that you are a lying sack of shit.

Toomey is an interesting character. He was once president of a group similar to the Tea Party that pressured republicans to endorse conservative candidates. Now that his own hide is on the line in an upcoming election in a state that is purple at best he decides to go moderate and support a couple of Obama's appointments and spit on the NRA that supported him. He joins with a left wing senator to produce a flawed anti-gun bill that he was sure would pass and counted on for his re-election bid. Now that the bill didn't pass he is embarrassed and angry and tries a dangerous political move to blame the conservatives he was once so intent on getting elected. Let's see how it turns out.

You are suddenly outraged that he is bribing people with backroom, under the table deals? You must be new to politics. :eusa_eh:

I didn't say I was outraged I stated how Obama gets Democrats who don't want to vote with him to do so if you took that as outrage on my part apparently you have not seen much outrage in your life so far.

Forum List

Back