Zone1 Pastor alarmed after Trump-loving congregants deride Jesus' teachings as 'weak'

Is the Sermon on the Mount to liberal now? What do Evangelicals think of Jesus's greatest teaching?

<< HOMEPAGE
Subscribe

Pastor alarmed after Trump-loving congregants deride Jesus' teachings as 'weak'​

Brad Reed
August 9, 2023, 8:53 AM ET

Pastor alarmed after Trump-loving congregants deride Jesus' teachings as 'weak'' teachings as 'weak'

Jesus Christ and Donald Trump (Renata Sedmakova / Shutterstock.com, Gage Skidmore/Flickr)

Evangelical Christian leader Russell Moore revealed this week that many evangelical pastors have become alarmed that their Trump-loving congregants have become so militant that they are even rejecting the teachings of Jesus Christ.

In an interview with NPR, Moore said that multiple pastors had told him disturbing stories about their congregants being upset when they read from the famous "Sermon on the Mount" in which Christ espoused the principles of forgiveness and mercy as central to Christian doctrine.

"Multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — 'turn the other cheek' — [and] to have someone come up after to say, 'Where did you get those liberal talking points?'" Moore revealed. "And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, 'I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ,' the response would not be, 'I apologize.' The response would be, 'Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak.'"
Rawstory? Pass

Is the Sermon on the Mount to liberal now? What do Evangelicals think of Jesus's greatest teaching?

<< HOMEPAGE
Subscribe

Pastor alarmed after Trump-loving congregants deride Jesus' teachings as 'weak'​

Brad Reed
August 9, 2023, 8:53 AM ET

Pastor alarmed after Trump-loving congregants deride Jesus' teachings as 'weak'' teachings as 'weak'

Jesus Christ and Donald Trump (Renata Sedmakova / Shutterstock.com, Gage Skidmore/Flickr)

Evangelical Christian leader Russell Moore revealed this week that many evangelical pastors have become alarmed that their Trump-loving congregants have become so militant that they are even rejecting the teachings of Jesus Christ.

In an interview with NPR, Moore said that multiple pastors had told him disturbing stories about their congregants being upset when they read from the famous "Sermon on the Mount" in which Christ espoused the principles of forgiveness and mercy as central to Christian doctrine.

"Multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — 'turn the other cheek' — [and] to have someone come up after to say, 'Where did you get those liberal talking points?'" Moore revealed. "And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, 'I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ,' the response would not be, 'I apologize.' The response would be, 'Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak.'"
It all depends on the context

Is the pastor telling his congregation to turn the other cheek when black militants and ANTIFA wackos burn down their city?

Is it your policy that Jesus wants open borders and millions of illegal aliens entering the country?

There are plenty of bad preachers who use the Bible to further their own personal ideas

Last edited:
Look what it cost the Jews to fight the Romans
alls well that ends well. The Roman empire is utterly destroyed and
well -----as someone scratched over the triumphant sculptured relief in
the ARCH OF TITUS----"The nation Israel LIVES" that's approximately
"AM YISRAEL CHAI" Acquiescence to the filth of Rome would have
destroyed Israel---both in the land and in the diaspora ----ASK EZRA whose
family background was IRAQI----just like ITAMAR-----

It all depends on the context

Is the pastor telling his congregation to turn the other cheek when black militants and ANTIFA wackos burn down their city?

Is that your policy that Jesus wants open borders and millions of illegal aliens entering the country?

There are plenty of bad preachers who use the Bible to further their own personal ideas

Jesus was preaching about the Roman occupation and the oppressive Roman laws.

Here is what Jesus DIDN’T say:

“If you meet a hungry man on the road to Damascus, form a political action committee and petition Caesar to give him bread”
You are a big disappointment to Jesus

He was addressing oppressive Roman law and coping with it with nonviolent resistance.
Not so. The context is Israelite custom.

You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ (21)​

References are the Decalogue and Deuteronomy 16:18.

Note also that those of old did not include the Romans.

You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ (27)​

See the Decalogue.

It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ (31)​

Reference is Deuteronomy 24:1.

Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ (33)​

References are Leviticus 19:12, Numbers 30:2, and Deuteronomy 23:21.

Note also that the Lord was not the Romans’ deity.

You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ (38)​

References are Exodus 21:23-25, Leviticus 24:19-20, and Deuteronomy 19:21.

Not so. The context is Israelite custom.

You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ (21)​

References are the Decalogue and Deuteronomy 16:18.

Note also that those of old did not include the Romans.

You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ (27)​

See the Decalogue.

It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ (31)​

Reference is Deuteronomy 24:1.

Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ (33)​

References are Leviticus 19:12, Numbers 30:2, and Deuteronomy 23:21.

Note also that the Lord was not the Romans’ deity.

You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ (38)​

References are Exodus 21:23-25, Leviticus 24:19-20, and Deuteronomy 19:21.

Okay. Have you read A Palestinian Christian Cry for Reconciliation?

Okay. Have you read A Palestinian Christian Cry for Reconciliation?
Irrelevant. I already cited the context.

You yourself once said that the Romans were not even on Israel's radar in the days of old. Christ is referencing the days of old, i.e., not the Romans or their customs.

You yourself once said that the Romans were not even on Israel's radar in the days of old. Christ is referencing the days of old, i.e., not the Romans or their customs.

The Episcopal church in Palestine teaches the sermon on the mount from the perspective of the Roman occupation.

What?

If it says that Jesus was lambasting Roman occupation in Judea, then it does not. That sermon has nothing to do with Rome.

Roman law allowed a soldier to demand a Jew carry his pack for a mile.

Forum List

Back