PA Trial Court Halts Certification: Finds the Election Unconstitutional

Why are you avoiding my analogy and continuing to talk about "supremacy" when there is no federally relevant law here? Dipshit

My god

Terrible analogy, this is why they didn't allow you in the advanced class when you were a boy.

You've just thrown out all constitutional provisions, all we need to do is start relabeling things and it's all moot. lol

"we're now calling laws humdingers and all relevant constitutional provisions around law making are silent on the issue of humdingers so we'll do what we want"

No

Under PA law those are clearly absentee ballots, other states that might not be true. But the PA constitution is obscenely clear ont his issue.

Faun already answered that point.

(z.6) The words "qualified mail-in elector" shall mean a qualified elector who is not a qualified absentee elector.

Since mail-in voters are not absentee voters

As defined per the PA constitution, they are

Conflating federal law and state constitution is absurd.
Both are examples of supremacy. And I showed that supremacy only holds in cases where the superior law controls. Where that law is silent, the inferior law is free to act.

As I said over and over, the PA legislature did not change the absentee ballot law (section 1301)

Instead they made a completely different mail-in ballot law (section 1301-d) that had nothing to do with the absentee ballots.

One covers people absent, or unable to go to the polls due to illness, business etc. The other covers people present, but not wishing to vote in person.

Two independent laws.

Why are you avoiding my analogy and continuing to talk about "supremacy" when there is no federally relevant law here? Dipshit

My god

Terrible analogy, this is why they didn't allow you in the advanced class when you were a boy.

You've just thrown out all constitutional provisions, all we need to do is start relabeling things and it's all moot. lol

"we're now calling laws humdingers and all relevant constitutional provisions around law making are silent on the issue of humdingers so we'll do what we want"

No

Under PA law those are clearly absentee ballots, other states that might not be true. But the PA constitution is obscenely clear ont his issue.
They created a new type of ballot, just as many states have done. Even worse for your nonsense, a state can't pass a law allowing their electorate to vote in a particular manner, then after the election, disenfranchise millions of voters saying, oops, we shouldn't have done that. Courts defend voters and no court is going to allow that.

again you can't just do that

just like i can't rename laws to humdingers

There is no line there.

PA has an obviously relevant constitutional provision clearly preventing mass* mail in ballots from existing.
No-excuse mail-in ballots are not absentee ballots. Again, from the law they passed...

(z.6) The words "qualified mail-in elector" shall mean a qualified elector who is not a qualified absentee elector.

Even worse for your nonsense, a state can't pass a law allowing their electorate to vote in a particular manner, then after the election, disenfranchise millions of voters who voted with such state-mandated procedures, saying, oops, we shouldn't have done that. Courts defend voters and no court is going to allow that.
The constitution doesn't allow it.

Article I
  • Section 10
    • Clause 1
    • No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

The PA legislature would have pass a law invalidating the election, and a law appointing the electors.

While the second law is within their powers, the first is in violation of the US Constitution. They can't pass a law taking something away retroactively.

My god

No

Nope, not true. This is what their constitution says about absentee ballots...

§ 14. Absentee voting.

(a) The Legislature shall, by general law, provide a manner in which, and the time and place at which, qualified electors who may, on the occurrence of any election, be absent from the municipality of their residence, because their duties, occupation or business require them to be elsewhere or who, on the occurrence of any election, are unable to attend at their proper polling places because of illness or physical disability or who will not attend a polling place because of the observance of a religious holiday or who cannot vote because of election day duties, in the case of a county employee, may vote, and for the return and canvass of their votes in the election district in which they respectively reside.

(b) For purposes of this section, "municipality" means a city, borough, incorporated town, township or any similar general purpose unit of government which may be created by the General Assembly.

That creates absentee ballots for some voters who cannot vote in person. The new law created a new type of no-excuse ballot, separate from absentee ballots, for voters who choose not to vote in person.

You'd have a point if they didn't create a new type of mail-in ballot but instead, but they did.

again you can't just do that

just like i can't rename laws to humdingers

There is no line there.

PA has an obviously relevant constitutional provision clearly preventing mass* mail in ballots from existing.
Pa has an absentee ballot provision for people who can't be present for the election.

The mail-in ballot law is for people who can be present for the election.

Two different classes of people. Hence they have nothing to do with each other.

It;s just like drivers licenses for cars and trucks have nothing to do with each other.

My god

No

THEY FALL UNDER THE SAME STATUTES

All it is is an absentee voter who doesn't meet whatever requirements. But they're still an absentee voter

The words "qualified mail-in elector" shall mean a qualified elector who is not a qualified absentee elector.

Literally how they define it, meaningless distinction legally.

My god

No

§ 14. Absentee voting.
(a) The Legislature shall, by general law, provide a manner in which, and the time and place at which, qualified electors who may, on the occurrence of any election, be absent from the municipality of their residence, because their duties, occupation or business require them to be elsewhere or who, on the occurrence of any election, are unable to attend at their proper polling places because of illness or physical disability or who will not attend a polling place because of the observance of a religious holiday or who cannot vote because of election day duties, in the case of a county employee, may vote, and for the return and canvass of their votes in the election district in which they respectively reside.
(b) For purposes of this section, "municipality" means a city, borough, incorporated town, township or any similar general purpose unit of government which may be created by the General Assembly.

That creates absentee ballots for some voters who cannot vote in person. The new law created a new type of no-excuse ballot, separate from absentee ballots, for voters who choose not to vote in person.

You'd have a point if they didn't create a new type of mail-in ballot but instead, but they did.

It's not a law in teh sense it has backing from the legislature, it's an election code or whatever they call it. It has no legislative force behind it.

The republican held legislature did not green light sending out mass absentee ballots

The only election law that's changed in PA this year has to do with when you count mail in votes that i'm aware of.

My god

No

All it is is an absentee voter who doesn't meet whatever requirements. But they're still an absentee voter

The words "qualified mail-in elector" shall mean a qualified elector who is not a qualified absentee elector.

Nope, they are not absentee voters. Absentee voters can mail in ballots if they are unable to vote in person. No-excuse mail-in ballots are for their electorate who are able to vote in person but choose not to.

My god

No

§ 14. Absentee voting.

It's not a law in teh sense it has backing from the legislature, it's an election code or whatever they call it. It has no legislative force behind it.

The republican held legislature did not green light sending out mass absentee ballots

The only election law that's changed in PA has to do with when you count mail in votes that i'm aware of.
That's because they're not absentee ballots.

Quick summary of the assessment by lawyer (Uncivil law):

He points out that the "shall" in the law means states that those specific means of voting have to be available, it does not restrict what other means can be provided.

This is certainly correct, but it's not impossible that a larger context is missed.

My god

No

Nope, they are not absentee voters. Absentee voters can mail in ballots if they are unable to vote in person. No-excuse mail-in ballots are for their electorate who are able to vote in person but choose not to.

ALl fall under absentee voters

Again "qualified mail in elector" is defined as an absentee voter without the excuse

ACT 77 which was passed last year allow for no excuse absentees. Not sending out mass ballots, you would have to request a ballot

The only election law that's changed in PA has to do with when you count mail in votes that i'm aware of.

You have jumped the shark. It was a law passed by the legislature amending their previous election law from 1937

PENNSYLVANIA ELECTION CODE - OMNIBUS AMENDMENTS
Act of Oct. 31, 2019, P.L. 552, No. 77Cl. 25
Session of 2019

No. 2019-77

SB 421

AN ACT

Amending the act of June 3, 1937 (P.L.1333, No.320), entitled "An act concerning elections

My god

No

§ 14. Absentee voting.

The only election law that's changed in PA this year has to do with when you count mail in votes that i'm aware of.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It was passed by their state legislature and signed into law by their governor....

... even worse for you, it was signed into law a year before the election, so if it was unconstitutional, they had a year to challenge it. Republicans can't wait to see how the election turns out and then challenge a law they themselves passed after losing the election.

No court is going to disenfranchise millions of voters for that.

You have jumped the shark. It was a law passed by the legislature amending their previous election law from 1937

PENNSYLVANIA ELECTION CODE - OMNIBUS AMENDMENTS
Act of Oct. 31, 2019, P.L. 552, No. 77Cl. 25
Session of 2019

No. 2019-77

SB 421

AN ACT

Amending the act of June 3, 1937 (P.L.1333, No.320), entitled "An act concerning elections

They have changed tehir election law via legislature twice in teh past two years

Once was act 77 pre corona, which gave them Penn voters the right to request an absentee ballot without an excuse. Not the right to get mailed one without requesting

The other was very recent and dealt with when you start counting mail in votes and when you stop accepting them.

There has no been legislative approval of sending out unsolicited ballots

They fill out absentee ballots because they're absentee voters, lol

My god

No

§ 14. Absentee voting.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It was passed by their state legislature and signed into law by their governor....

... even worse for you, it was signed into law a year before the election, so if it was unconstitutional, they had a year to challenge it. Republicans can't wait to see how the election turns out and then challenge a law they themselves passed after losing the election.

No court is going to disenfranchise millions of voters for that.

That just gives them a right to request an absentee ballot

Not gives the state the right to send ballots out en masse

Fucking massive distinction

And yes, "certified mail in electors" use you guessed it, absentee ballots, lol

Actually it was Republicans passed the law that they are attempting to declare unconstitutional.

This whole affair has shown just how delicate Democracy is, when people like yourself seem so willing to abandon it.
It's in the PA Constitution. Not just some law. You are clueless once again.

That piece of shit exists in a state of constant cluelessness.

We are not a democracy, we never were. The more we move towards one, the worse our country gets. We are approaching 3rd world status thanks to these sniveling parasites and their "democracy".

More of an Idiocracy if you ask me.

Jesus. You idiots lose one election and you’re begging for abandoning our founding principles and transitioning towards authoritarianism.

Cults gonna cult
If they throw out the mail in ballots and Trump wins PA, doesn't Biden still win the election?

It would not be surprising if the matter went to supreme court.
The SC of PA will probably weigh in soon. SCOTUS will not, there’s no federal question.

Waiting until after the election to file the lawsuit is particularly cruel.

The case is not about intent of the filers, and it's rather absurd to call them cruel when we don't even know when they found out about the problem.

Do recall, the law got passed and no fuzz was risen about the fact it's illegal by anyone. A supreme act of incompetence.
The law was passed over a year ago. If the people wanted to file a lawsuit, they should have done it before the election rather than waiting until after when the lawsuit may result in throwing out millions of votes from people who did nothing wrong.
Filing a case before election would be an executive function, as it is their responsibility to enforce the law. Had the legislature filed prior to the election it would have been in bad faith and preempted the executive's ability to enforce the laws. Clearly election officials were asleep at the wheel.
What a bunch of gibberish.
Very insightful rebuttle.

You must have won all your debates in Jr high.
No. It wasn’t insightful. It was gibberish with no meaning. Im not surprised you can’t tell the difference because you’re so fond of latching onto gibberish.
Well I do reply to yours from time to time.

My god

No

ALl fall under absentee voters

Again "qualified mail in elector" is defined as an absentee voter without the excuse

ACT 77 which was passed last year allow for no excuse absentees. Not sending out mass ballots, you would have to request a ballot
Yet again, you demonstrate you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Pennsylvania did not send out mass ballots to all registered voters as some other states did. Registered voters had to request a msil-in ballot in order to receive one. And millions of Pennsylvanians did...

Forum List

Back