Operating a large farm tractor 8 hours for one dollar

As usual, you are way behind what is available right now. But "Conservatives" tend to be uninformed dumb asses.
You are very much mistaken.

The bulk of Left wing people run on emotions. So they've put a deadline in place, electric technology can't replace fossil fuels, and Lefties just simply say, "Electric technology will achieve this by the deadlines and be cheaper". And whilst this goes on, the majority of Lefties don't practice what they preach, hence why many don't own an EV, solar and a powerwall.

As for an electric plane, in what year do you feel an electric Boeing 737 Max carrying approx 200 people will fly from London to New York?

As for tractors, electric will only cover the basic side of farming.

What about the cost of the battery bank that needs to be in excess 100kw to charge the tractor at night? Most farmers use their tractors during the day and solar panels don't work at night.
They will be banking on farmers buying spare batteries to charge through the day. All of a sudden, money becomes no object.

I have been considering buying a farm and playing at farming.

There's no way that an electric tractor is ever going to be a part of the equation. But a farm diesel tank and possibly a mobile tank fueling trailer is.
Running electricity to a tractor barn is extremely expensive. Running electricity anywhere on a farm is extremely expensive. Windmills, if in an area that can catch wind, are pricey enough and are usually used just for pumping water for livestock. You have to show up with a generator for when you don't get enough wind to pump the water.

EV tractors are a pipe dream. Couldn't use it even if it was given to me.

Old Rocks, To make tractors (or any electrical vehicle) viable, you will have to kick batteries into touch. Companies are better off developing Supercapacitors that can be viable.
Capacitors charge much much faster than any "battery" thought about. A capacitor can be charged in a minute. Batteries take hours.
And when capacitors that large they begin to act like coils.

The rule of all this is that coils resist a change in amps but capacitors resist a change in voltage. Together they make great filters. (Along with a few resistors).

Lol....about 17 farmers will go electric tractor.

Of any industry out there, farmers need 100% reliability.
Like Ford F150 owners....they stick with ole' reliable. dOy
Working on a tractor or implement that you attach to the tractor is half the work on a farm. Welding, beating, changing gaskets and filters or cleaning mud and rocks out of equipment is half the job. The rest is spent sitting bored driving the stupid thing keeping it in line.

You run low on fuel out in the field you drive over and fill it up but what do you do when a thousand pound battery stops working in the middle of a job? Call Biden?

No serious person thinks farmers don't LOVE their conventional tractors.
These are not unicorn chasers on any level....

cdc507ef3491f383f7302b240b5da90c.jpg

I have been considering buying a farm and playing at farming.

There's no way that an electric tractor is ever going to be a part of the equation. But a farm diesel tank and possibly a mobile tank fueling trailer is.
Running electricity to a tractor barn is extremely expensive. Running electricity anywhere on a farm is extremely expensive. Windmills, if in an area that can catch wind, are pricey enough and are usually used just for pumping water for livestock. You have to show up with a generator for when you don't get enough wind to pump the water.

EV tractors are a pipe dream. Couldn't use it even if it was given to me.
We have 8 equipment & livestock barns on our farm & they all have 200 amp 120/240v electrical panels in them. How do you think Farmers power their welders, plasma cutters, well pumps to fill 500gal crop sprayer tanks, water livestock, power washers, grain augers, elevators, fans, dryers, stiraters, lights & massive door openers?

We are already preparing to install solar this year. It will be awesome to cut the cord. US Farmers will never forget how Big Oil Banned Ethanol with Prohibition & continue to undermine Ethanol at every turn. So Farmers will embrace any tech to stop paying those extortionist as well. Bring on the Big Batteries.

Last edited:
We have 8 equipment & livestock barns on our farm & they all have 200 amp 120/240v electrical panels in them. How do you think Farmers power their welders, plasma cutters, well pumps to fill 500gal crop sprayer tanks, water livestock, power washers, grain augers, elevators, fans, dryers, stiraters, lights & massive door openers?

We are already preparing to install solar this year. It will be awesome to cut the cord. US Farmers will never forget how Big Oil Banned Ethanol with Prohibition & continue to undermine Ethanol at every turn. So Farmers will embrace any tech to stop paying those extortionist as well. Bring on the Big Batteries.

Lol....good luck with that!

What do costs matter? :coffee:

Never forsaw unicorn chasing infecting the farming industry.

Sorry.... Don't believe you one bit.
Power around livestock is extremely expensive. They don't like electricity in their barns as they get shocked by it. (Unless a whole grounding grid of bare copper is put shallow in the ground.

Then there's usually only ONE repair maintenance barn. That isn't a "tractor barn". A tractor barn doesn't have walls.

Then the elevators do have power...but it's next to the repair barn. But big elevators usually run off of three phase. Not 120/240. So the repair barn can also run off of three phase as well.

Again...not sure that you are telling the truth at all.

Bout positive you aren't.

It's an electric tug not a tractor. There is no PTO and no front end loader. The only thing you can do with it is pull a plow or similar attachment that doesn't require hydraulics or a PTO; which means you'd have to buy other machines to do what this one can't.

That is sure to be very confusing info to Old Rocks and other greenies

the electric tractor could be a viable workhorse someday

and I dont claim to know how soon that day will arrive

So if greenies want to buy one with their own money and no subsidy from the government be my guest

So if greenies want to buy one with their own money and no subsidy from the government be my guest
Farms get to use "off road" diesel.(much cheaper) Since they don't really use roads there's low taxed diesel they buy and use.

Most farms have a supply of diesel and gasoline on hand...and usually a fuel wagon or trailer of some sort to bring to the fields to refuel the tractor with. (Usually pulled by pickup truck)

So where fuel is an issue and an expense there's a lot of equipment to sell off before any farm will bother with it. Especially with unproven and risky technology.

Farms get to use "off road" diesel.(much cheaper) Since they don't really use roads there's low taxed diesel they buy and use.

Most farms have a supply of diesel and gasoline on hand...and usually a fuel wagon or trailer of some sort to bring to the fields to refuel the tractor with. (Usually pulled by pickup truck)

So where fuel is an issue and an expense there's a lot of equipment to sell off before any farm will bother with it. Especially with unproven and risky technology.
Again, let the market decide without any intervention from the government

Or jeff bezos or some other freaked out super rich liberal could gift farmers part of the cost of the electric tractor

then everyone can see with their own eyes how good electric tractors are TODAY

Again, let the market decide without any intervention from the government

Or jeff bezos or some other freaked out super rich liberal could gift farmers part of the cost of the electric tractor

then everyone can see with their own eyes how good electric tractors are TODAY
Farming today is usually a harvesting of pennies.

Margins are extremely tight. It really isn't a great investment to farm. The margins are that tight. Bakeries have better margins and most of them go under.

The farmers this past year did well because of the drought in Brazil. Just saying that this year was unusual.
And an EV Tractor is a gamble that is not going to be popular. And currently most EV Tractor are just tugs. No hydraulic connections whatsoever. I wonder what sort of power hitches they have.
If the universal connection even exists. (A camshaft off the engine at the back end of a tractor that can also power implements)

Three to six hours is the claim from one company. And their tractors cost a third more than an ICE does.

As the manufacturer themselves say, good for wineries and other light duty agriculture work.
For now. This technology is rapidly improving.

Absolutely correct....the green mofu's don't care a wit about spending other people's $$ to see their utopic visions come to fruition. It's not an afterthought....it's a complete oversight, thus, the routine kOOk tags.

For now. This technology is rapidly improving.
It MIGHT work in 20 years.
But it won't be tested in America I can guarantee you that.

If it survives the jungles of Brazil to farm the farms down there... okay. But otherwise I'm not expecting to see it work before I die.

It MIGHT work in 20 years.
But it won't be tested in America I can guarantee you that.

If it survives the jungles of Brazil to farm the farms down there... okay. But otherwise I'm not expecting to see it work before I die.
A lot of things won't pan out before older people pass away. It's unfortunate that many of them seem to not care about things outside of their life span.

Forum List

Back