"One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old." Christian homeschooling problems

I live in Europe where homeschooling is illegal.

I agree with that by the way.

I do not consider the average parent to be competent to teach school materials to their own kids. I have three kids of my own, so I know. Plus there is the whole dynamic that a parent has with her own kids that isn't appropriate to teaching science, maths etc and expecting performance objectively.

The world requires one to fit in, perform and learning from mom isn't best.

Barely Literate How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids Alternet

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why their church allow the children to be illiterate so long? They are christian! They are MUST be able to read the bible!
Speaking of reading skills. You might want to check that grammar.

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

A rare occurrence. Those homeschooled both as a group and as individuals regularly beat their public system counterparts academically into simpering bloody smears.

That's dumb. At the first indication that she couldn't handle the teaching load, she should have let somebody else do it. Homeschooling is extremely valuable, if parents are willing to actually teach. Heck, our kids were taught that God created the universe AND astronomy. It didn't hurt them at all, nor did it stunt their curiosity, or any of the other imaginary horrors dreamed up by those opposed to Christianity.

If the parent isn't the one teaching it isn't homeschooling any more. It's getting a tutor for 1 on 1 instruction. :)
Different label, same effect. We used an on-line accredited curriculum, so we had us plus online teachers. They did the actual grading and assignments. Worked very well.

It can work if the parent is willing and able to do what is needed. However, often, there is no way to check if they are, and no way to make them if they aren't.

"And she says the lack of regulation in Nebraska, where the family lived, “allowed us to get away with some really shoddy homeschooling for a lot of years.”

A rare occurrence. Those homeschooled both as a group and as individuals regularly beat their public system counterparts academically into simpering bloody smears.

Perhaps a small portion of them do. If a child is going to college, he is required to take admittance tests, so a comparison is possible. A parent who is preparing their child for college is more likely to teach their child. What about the vast majority of home schooled kids for who college is never an option? Do you think their parents are always going to work as hard with the child's education? For those children, there is never a way to compare their education to others.

Why did she stick with homeschooling for so long, despite her difficulties? “We were convinced that it would be better for our kids not to have an education than to be educated to become humanists or atheists and to reject God,” Garrison says. “We became so isolated because the Quiverfull lifestyle was so overwhelming we didn’t have time or energy for socialization. So the only people we knew were exactly like us. We were told that the whole point of public school was to dumb down the children and turn them into compliant workers – to brainwash them and indoctrinate them into this godless way of thinking.”"

rest at link

the only reason most people homeschool is they're afraid their children will meet other people who don't think like them or actually learn science instead of the bible.

Or, as in your case, because they knew the system would divert them to Special Ed.

I do not consider the average parent to be competent to teach school materials to their own kids....

I don't consider you competent to make that judgement.

Because what?

I'm agree with Linkiloo. Psychology and teaching skills are not the last factor in this case.

What are your qualifications to reach such a conclusion?

Btw, associate professor :) But I work in high education, not in school

Did you hear about "handshake rule"? It sounds: "Real science passed only by handshakes, not by other ways, like distant education or books and so on". It's because many aspects of knowledges are really unformal and subjective - and psychologists still can't answer on question, why it's a true.

Last edited:
I do not consider the average parent to be competent to teach school materials to their own kids....

Because what?

I'm agree with Linkiloo. Psychology and teaching skills are not the last factor in this case.

Did you hear about "handshake rule"? It sounds: "Real science passed only by handshakes, not by other ways, like distant education or books and so on". It's because many aspects of knowledges are really unformal and subjective - and psychologists still can't answer on question, why it's a true.

Want to try that again when you sober up?

Perhaps a small portion of them do.

The majority I'm afraid.

If a child is going to college, he is required to take admittance tests, so a comparison is possible.

Indeed.

The Homeschooling vs public schools statistics homeschooling vs public schooling

The home schoolers in those studies were obviously college bound. and the parents who taught them took the effort to teach them what was required. Do you know the percentage of home schooled children who fall in that category? It's easy to point to the exceptions who voluntarily present their abilities, but that is only a small percentage of home schooled children. Most never see those standardized tests.

Because what?

Ha-ha, what do you really know about reality around you? :)

Because what?

I know you appear to be having a hard time putting together a coherent statement in proper English.

Because what?

I know you appear to be having a hard time putting together a coherent statement in proper English.

I have weak ability to study languages, not only English :)

A condition also known as LAZINESS.

A condition also known as LAZINESS.

I agree. Only laziness obstruct people to know something about calculus of variations :)

Probably already been said, but isn't the real issue that the majority of public school graduates aren't prepared for college level work?
More than a quarter of 2012 graduates fell short of college readiness benchmarks that ACT sets for all four subjects, and 60 percent of students tested missed the mark in at least two of the four subjects, the report states.
High School Students Not Prepared for College Career - US News

Forum List

Back