"One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old." Christian homeschooling problems

A friend of mine is a school psychologist in a wealthy district in Silicon Valley. She has horror stories about disabled and austic kids disrupting class rooms. Their parents threaten to sue if they aren't "mainstreamed", so the pathetic school administration allows it. One boy actually sat in class and masturbated. I doubt the kids learned much else during that year. If I had children in that district, they'd be in private schools, or taught at home.

there are some classes where kids are mainstreamed but not the kids who are disruptive.

thanks for the "story".

You Leftwing Loons really cannot help generalizing specific examples, can you?

please don't attribute your windiness and looniness to anyone else. but schools don't allow classes to be disrupted by mainstreaming.... at least not in classes that teach high performing kids.

for the record,i don't like mainstreaming, boetoxic.
And how long did you teach?

And don't tell me the disruptive are not mainstreamed, even SE teachers need a planning period.

You cannot believe what I have seen in the name of placing a student in "the least restrictive environment".

one doesn't have to teach to know what happens in schools. you just need kids in school. something you clearly don't have.

disruptive kids aren't placed in high performing classes.

1. i attended public school.
2. my husband attended public school
3. my son attends public school and is going to NYU in the fall.

i'm pretty sure that his classes weren't disrupted because he wasn't in the low performing classes.

I had kids in school.

I was in them, as a student and 25 years as a teacher.

Disruptive kids are placed in almost all classes in poor districts with huge classes.

Just the way it is.

I call blind stupidity on that one.

You forget things like autism and ADD, which make it difficult, if not impossible for a kid to learn in an environment where it's more important he/she learns to sit down and shut up than to be educated.

A friend of mine is a school psychologist in a wealthy district in Silicon Valley. She has horror stories about disabled and austic kids disrupting class rooms. Their parents threaten to sue if they aren't "mainstreamed", so the pathetic school administration allows it. One boy actually sat in class and masturbated. I doubt the kids learned much else during that year. If I had children in that district, they'd be in private schools, or taught at home.
I'll go you one better than that.

I was in a district with a lot of Native Americans, one of which was a teacher, married to a school board member.

She was semi-literate, but, somehow "taught" typing.

My principal kept hearing stuff, but feared for his job.

So, cops walked in one day, caught a kid beating off for the girls, arrested him, and left the classroom.

She was asleep and never saw it happen.

Board never did a damned thing to her either.

Yep. Those teachers' unions really protect the kids.

When this happened, I doubt there was a union in that parish.

yeah, but kids in parishes don't learn science....
Depends upon the Parish and the school in the Parish.

there are some classes where kids are mainstreamed but not the kids who are disruptive.

thanks for the "story".

You Leftwing Loons really cannot help generalizing specific examples, can you?

please don't attribute your windiness and looniness to anyone else. but schools don't allow classes to be disrupted by mainstreaming.... at least not in classes that teach high performing kids.

for the record,i don't like mainstreaming, boetoxic.
And how long did you teach?

And don't tell me the disruptive are not mainstreamed, even SE teachers need a planning period.

You cannot believe what I have seen in the name of placing a student in "the least restrictive environment".

one doesn't have to teach to know what happens in schools. you just need kids in school. something you clearly don't have.

disruptive kids aren't placed in high performing classes.

1. i attended public school.
2. my husband attended public school
3. my son attends public school and is going to NYU in the fall.

i'm pretty sure that his classes weren't disrupted because he wasn't in the low performing classes.

I had kids in school.

I was in them, as a student and 25 years as a teacher.

Disruptive kids are placed in almost all classes in poor districts with huge classes.

Just the way it is.

maybe where you were. i can't speak to that. i know it wasn't an issue in any school my son went to at least, as i said, not in the high-performing classes.

I was in a district with a lot of Native Americans, one of which was a teacher, married to a school board member.

So, cops walked in one day, caught a kid beating off for the girls, arrested him, and left the classroom.

That's not true anymore. I have been asked to give geologic presentations at two Catholic schools in this area, and they both had dedicated science teachers. They were teaching astronomy, evolution, geology, (obviously), physics and a whole host of other subjects.

i'd think that's a rarity though i'm glad you had that experience.

(now if we only weren't so far down the list in terms of our math/science skills as a country).

I honestly can't answer that. I only have the experience here in Reno. And yes, the science skills here in this country are beyond abysmal. I took a look at the Common Core math curriculum and it is going to do nothing but make things worse. How they agreed to let this guy try again (he had done a similar revamp in California and they dropped in math skills to the bottom thanks to this type of curriculum) is beyond me.

At some point you have to ask yourself if they are dumbing our students down on purpose.

That's not true anymore. I have been asked to give geologic presentations at two Catholic schools in this area, and they both had dedicated science teachers. They were teaching astronomy, evolution, geology, (obviously), physics and a whole host of other subjects.

(now if we only weren't so far down the list in terms of our math/science skills as a country).

I honestly can't answer that. I only have the experience here in Reno. And yes, the science skills here in this country are beyond abysmal. I took a look at the Common Core math curriculum and it is going to do nothing but make things worse. How they agreed to let this guy try again (he had done a similar revamp in California and they dropped in math skills to the bottom thanks to this type of curriculum) is beyond me.

At some point you have to ask yourself if they are dumbing our students down on purpose.

i don't like common core. i'm so glad my son is getting out of high school before he was subjected to it.

i don't think anyone is dumbing down kids on purpose. i do think part of the problem is that most teachers were in the bottom 10% of their high school classes. that's because teachers are villianized and not paid well even for dealing with the most difficult kids. add to that parents who don't cooperate and will blame the teacher for their kids' failures instead of working with their kid to do better. that kind of ethic doesn't work elsewhere.

i don't like common core. i'm so glad my son is getting out of high school before he was subjected to it.

i don't think anyone is dumbing down kids on purpose. i do think part of the problem is that most teachers were in the bottom 10% of their high school classes. that's because teachers are villianized and not paid well even for dealing with the most difficult kids. add to that parents who don't cooperate and will blame the teacher for their kids' failures instead of working with their kid to do better. that kind of ethic doesn't work elsewhere.

I agree with you on the parenting issues etc. But, when you see a program so bad, as Common Core is, it makes a person wonder.

I agree with you on the parenting issues etc. But, when you see a program so bad, as Common Core is, it makes a person wonder.

and that's when parents need to make noise...as do teachers. or you can elect anti-common core pols.

Many years ago, I was in a Blockbuster store with my nieces and nephews, who were home schooled by their mother who was sorta fallen catholic who didn't believe in any sort of birth control, mostly fundie, and a grade school teacher herself who had been fired. The oldest daughter, age 16 at the time, asked me to read the box for a movie. She could not read it enough to understand what the movie was about.

I've long since gotten away from that nutter family but last I heard, that daughter and another girl both had illegitimate kids and the oldest boy was living with his girlfriend and their illegitimate kids in a trailer parked next to their parents home. They have other, younger daughters but I don't know anything about them.

Bunch of losers. They were racist, ignorant, hated blacks, rabid RWs, with all those kids living on the dole and undoubtedly now blaming Obama for their own failures. Just like the nutters here.

I call blind stupidity on that one.

You forget things like autism and ADD, which make it difficult, if not impossible for a kid to learn in an environment where it's more important he/she learns to sit down and shut up than to be educated.

Yes they do.

Home-schoolers are working to rectify that situation. Their kids rock in school.

Many years ago, I was in a Blockbuster store with my nieces and nephews, who were home schooled by their mother who was sorta fallen catholic who didn't believe in any sort of birth control, mostly fundie, and a grade school teacher herself who had been fired. The oldest daughter, age 16 at the time, asked me to read the box for a movie. She could not read it enough to understand what the movie was about.

I've long since gotten away from that nutter family but last I heard, that daughter and another girl both had illegitimate kids and the oldest boy was living with his girlfriend and their illegitimate kids in a trailer parked next to their parents home. They have other, younger daughters but I don't know anything about them.

Bunch of losers. They were racist, ignorant, hated blacks, rabid RWs, with all those kids living on the dole and undoubtedly now blaming Obama for their own failures. Just like the nutters here.
Because one personal anecdote outweighs reality?

I'm more or less curious as to whether this thread topic is meant to attack homeschooling [see Christian] or not.

It sort of reminds me of someone pointing to the masses of flunking kids in the public school system and then, maybe, using it as a way to attack public schooling.

Will there be unfortunate instances in homeschooling? Yes. Same can be said for public schooling. I was homeschooled, and I can tell you I'm not one of 'those' instances that some try to use to further their own beliefs.

Not sure where exactly the OP stands on this issue. Would like to know more.

Ms. Jillian, all one has to do to understand why we are so far down on the math/science skills is read what is posted by our 'Conservative' friends.

Ms. Jillian, all one has to do to understand why we are so far down on the math/science skills is read what is posted by our 'Conservative' friends.

Oh Puhleeze. Your Conservative friends understand things like: it's impossible to add millions of people to a health care program such as ObamaCare and lower total costs. It's also impossible for money transferred from Medicare to fund ObamaCare to be counted twice as healthcare funding.

Guess my schooling from the 1st to 12th is irrelevant, given that it was over 50 years ago. But I did get to go to a variety of schools, having went to at least 11 different schools in that period. And the teaching ranged from exemplary to abysmal. But my mother read to us from the classics and Bible every night. And I learned early to be curious. So, when I finished, I had a much better and wider education than most. Most of it from the reading and following curiosity on my own.

It is sad that today that so many fail to develop intellectual curiosity. Especially since with the computer, you have the knowledge of the whole world at your fingertips.

Oh Puhleeze. Your Conservative friends understand things like: it's impossible to add millions of people to a health care program such as ObamaCare and lower total costs. It's also impossible for money transferred from Medicare to fund ObamaCare to be counted twice as healthcare funding.
Ms. boedicca, it is the conservatives in Congress that want to defund scientific research, and put political opinion ahead of what the vast majority of scientists are stating concerning AGW and other concerns like the present shortage of clean water in the world.

Ms. boedicca, it is the conservatives in Congress that want to defund scientific research, and put political opinion ahead of what the vast majority of scientists are stating concerning AGW and other concerns like the present shortage of clean water in the world.

Uh. Moron.

Government =/= Science

Guess my schooling from the 1st to 12th is irrelevant, given that it was over 50 years ago. But I did get to go to a variety of schools, having went to at least 11 different schools in that period. And the teaching ranged from exemplary to abysmal. But my mother read to us from the classics and Bible every night. And I learned early to be curious. So, when I finished, I had a much better and wider education than most. Most of it from the reading and following curiosity on my own.

It is sad that today that so many fail to develop intellectual curiosity. Especially since with the computer, you have the knowledge of the whole world at your fingertips.

The education changes everyday, following of tech. and soc progress, and it's a whole problem of world - what worked some years ago, shouldn't work today. However, at least children have to read the bible and learn history of Christianity. At least, because Christian Chirch, in fact, formed the foundation of all modern science, without giantic work, performed of Christian medieval monasteries, there wasn't any Darwin, Einstein and so on...

Let me know when one of them is concerned about Guam capsizing!

My mother taught me to read before I started kindergarten. I remember sitting on the floor in the living room reading Rufolf the Red Nosed Reindeer.

The problem with this society is that parents are not given recommendations to suggest to their children at early ages so kids are left stumbling around in the dark but now we have a society with way more info-trash. Read Harry Potter, yeah right!

The Wind in the Willows (1908) by Kenneth Grahame
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame - Free Ebook

The Boxcar Children (1924) by Gertrude Chandler Warner
The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Box-car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner.

The Fourth R (1959) by George O. Smith
DigiLibraries.com - eBook The Fourth R by Smith George O. George Oliver

psik

Forum List

Back