On our way to Florida, finally!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
It has been 3 years since I've seen my parents and my older sister, who watches out for my parents....

Covid, my husband's rotator cuff injury, which took 7 or 8 months to get his surgery, due to hospital lock downs so to say, then his 5 months of physical therapy.... We'll be there for three to 6 months.

We are closing up the house, emptying the waterlines, but decided to just leave the heat on, while gone.

Anyway, we rented a big ass car for the drive, because my parents have 4, and we can use one of them while there, but we have our cat to bring with us with a big cage and lots of kitty luggage of food and litter and litter box.

We have never travelled with her before, other than to the vet...any advice? She's already freaking out because of the luggage packing and house cleaning going on....

We are going to try to make it to Trenton/ phillie area first day from way up here....

We were suppose to leave yesterday, but woke to 6 inches of snow and still snowing....

It has been 3 years since I've seen my parents and my older sister, who watches out for my parents....

Covid, my husband's rotator cuff injury, which took 7 or 8 months to get his surgery, due to hospital lock downs so to say, then his 5 months of physical therapy.... We'll be there for three to 6 months.

We are closing up the house, emptying the waterlines, but decided to just leave the heat on, while gone.

Anyway, we rented a big ass car for the drive, because my parents have 4, and we can use one of them while there, but we have our cat to bring with us with a big cage and lots of kitty luggage of food and litter and litter box.

We have never travelled with her before, other than to the vet...any advice? She's already freaking out because of the luggage packing and house cleaning going on....

We are going to try to make it to Trenton/ phillie area first day from way up here....

We were suppose to leave yesterday, but woke to 6 inches of snow and still snowing....
Box up about 3" of it and take it with you.

They probably miss snow.

They have kitty tranquillizers in pill form at the local pet supply stores. Most of which are all herbal and non-toxic. You can get something from your vet if you prefer.

They won't put kitty out, but they are supposed to keep kitty calm in cases of strenuous adversity........like travel.

Keep some calming light jazz, classical, or instrumental music playing softly in the kitty carrier if possible.

Stop about every 100 miles and take kitty out of the carrier and give some hugs and snuggles. And clean out the carrier if needed. Offer some nibbles or treats and water. If you got a water bottle on the carrier, make sure it's at least half full.

Make sure kitty carrier is seat belted down to the seat.

Pretty much the same with any animal or pet.

If they freak out too much, keep a covering over their carrier/cage. It is supposed to help keep them calm.

Have fun and be safe..........................Regards...........................I'm really a sweetheart in real life...teeheheheheheh

They have kitty tranquillizers in pill form at the local pet supply stores. Most of which are all herbal and non-toxic. You can get something from your vet if you prefer.

They won't put kitty out, but they are supposed to keep kitty calm in cases of strenuous adversity........like travel.

Keep some calming light jazz, classical, or instrumental music playing softly in the kitty carrier if possible.

Stop about every 100 miles and take kitty out of the carrier and give some hugs and snuggles. And clean out the carrier if needed. Offer some nibbles or treats and water. If you got a water bottle on the carrier, make sure it's at least half full.

Make sure kitty carrier is seat belted down to the seat.

Pretty much the same with any animal or pet.

If they freak out too much, keep a covering over their carrier/cage. It is supposed to help keep them calm.
By this post and your avatar, I would say you were a cat person...lolol

I’m in a similar boat
Just visited my mother and sister in Florida last week after not seeing them for two years.
The drive down 95 was uneventful and we did it in two days

The Florida weather should be nicer than a Maine winter

Everybody and their Little Brown Dog comes to Florida over the Christmas Holidays.

I-95, I-75 and the Turnpike will be stop and go traffic for hundreds of miles.

I’m in a similar boat
Just visited my mother and sister in Florida last week after not seeing them for two years.
The drive down 95 was uneventful and we did it in two days

The Florida weather should be nicer than a Maine winter
It took us 4 hours just to get out of Maine. We want to make it to Edison or Trenton, if we are lucky...past philly...

We didn't end up leaving our house till noon...

Our kitty is doing great, sleeping, and hasn't eaten or gone to the bathroom :), which worries me a little

Enjoy your trip and stay safe on the roads!

We just had a really close call, Matt almost ran in to a cement guardrail...!!!!! Both our hearts arr still beating fast!
Night driving can become memorizing and dangerous. On all my nationwide jobs I would travel at night to avoid traffic but nighttime brought its own challenges. Scared myself a few time.

Be safe

Is it just me or do the same board liberals that spend so much of their time disparaging Florida because it's so conservative can't seem to wait to leave their Northern "utopias" to come down here! What's up with that? :)

Is it just me or do the same board liberals that spend so much of their time disparaging Florida because it's so conservative can't seem to wait to leave their Northern "utopias" to come down here! What's up with that? :)
Matt and I both are Floridians, Matt was born and bread there in Tampa and I was 6 months old when we lived in Florida for the first time... Fort Walton Beach area... We were married in Florida.

We left Florida for jobs in New England, that paid more than double of what I was making in St.Pete, and Matt got a job for 33% more money.... Yes the cost of living is higher up here, but the money more than compensated.

We are from the south, we left the south for the good life, up here....

Matt and I both are Floridians, Matt was born and bread there in Tampa and I was 6 months old when we lived in Florida for the first time... Fort Walton Beach area... We were married in Florida.

We left Florida for jobs in New England, that paid more than double of what I was making in St.Pete, and Matt got a job for 33% more money.... Yes the cost of living is higher up here, but the money more than compensated.

We are from the south, we left the south for the good life, up here....

I'm originally from Long Island, and the old joke used to be that Florida was where New Yorkers went to die. I was actually really surprised to learn how many rednecks there are down here. I mean pick-up drivin', tobacco chewin', confederate flag flyin' rednecks who only go to work so they can get that new trollin' motor down at the Bass Pro Shops..

My mom and brother both have homes here. When I moved here I said I would remain as long as Mom's alive (she's 87, but will probably outlive us all). When she's gone, I'm out, and I'm pretty sure my brother's out, as well. I've moved my business from San Diego to here, and started another after arriving here. At 59, I can safely say I have no real interest in doing either of those again, so when the time comes I'll sell them both and retire, and probably move back north somewhere. I like Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio and Michigan, but I could go anywhere. The other option is a motor home and the open road. I'd keep this house to use as a base, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time here...

Forum List

Back