Old Blue quit me last week...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
In the parking lot at AutoZone.

Been chasing down that "heat soak starter" problem... replacing batteries and battery cables in my '89 F150... this was June of last year...

And y'all likely saw my battery replacement thread. I was replacing everything from the battery to the starter that I thought may have been causing the problem... and that led be to break the starter solenoid (Starter Relay technically I recently learned). Took three replacements from AutoZone and an upgrade from Duralast Standard to Duralast Gold to get one that the plunger didn't hang up in and keep the starter engaged after the engine had started. You almost have to test every new part you buy anymore.

Anyway... thought I had it licked but the "heat soak" slow cranking without starting while hot persisted and was getting worse. Even on short trips of a couple miles the engine needed to cool.

So...I was at the parts store getting something... don't remember what... and when I went to leave... Crank but no start. Ether didn't even coax a cough or a sputter.

Did what I could without much by way of tools... but in the end a multimeter at AutoZone was a not that much cheaper than a tow and not nearly as nice as the one I already owned... so ignominiously towed out of the AutoZone parking lot and back to the house to be multimetered and test lighted and hopefully repaired.

No spark. Replaced the ignition coil on hunch. Bad hunch. No joy. No pulse from ICM to TACH side of the coil... just a bright, continuous 12v while cranking.

Back to the parts store for an ICM. Supposed to be removable with a 5.5 mm socket. NOPE. 5.5 mm THINWALL socket.

Back to the parts store for an Ignition Module Tool. A somewhat reasonable six bucks.

Screenshot_20220410-231831.png

Got to turn the distributor to access the rear screw... so clean the base, mark it, loosen the bolt, turn it until the ICM touches the alternator bracket. I'll get a picture tomorrow, but this isn't an ordinary bracket... It's the granddaddy of all brackets. It holds the alternator and the smog pump and something else...a real chore to remove or even loosen.

The front screw is easy enough to remove, but I can't get on the rear screw because that silver knurled twisty part won't clear the thermostat housing.

Probably the easiest route is to drain the the radiator and remove the upper radiator hose and then the thermostat housing. Removing the distributor entirely or removing the bracket were other options... but I chose the option behind door number three.

I got out the Franken-bandsaw and cut the module tool in half.

IMG_20220410_173718408~2.jpg

WooHoo...now I can get on the screw head and remove the ICM by turning the half tool with an open end wrench.

Installed new ICM, realigned distributor and tightened her down...and presto... Truck starts and runs as close to like new as it did before... which is not very but good enough.

So... to make a long story even longer... I'm wondering if the ICM was causing the "heat soak" problem from the beginning... that it was failing slowly and when it got hot it was retarding the timing and causing the slow crank no start condition. Have to take it on a long drive, shut it off and see if it will start right back up.

Time will tell...

Anyhow...$50 for the tow, $42 for the coil, $45 for the ICM, $6 for the tool, roughly three hours of work, an hour of travel time total to and from the parts store three times and probably four hours of research to get her up and running.

Did I save money? Maybe... but probably not.

Did I learn a lot? Absolutely. Diagnostics of electronics is likely my weakest area in mechanicing.

Did the satisfaction of getting her running again make up for the frustration and hours of research? You betcha! When the truck started I threw my arms up like Rocky topping the stairs at the Philadelphia Museum of art... Literally... That happened.

Screenshot_20220410-235731.png

A good day...

Last edited:

Been chasing down that "heat soak starter" problem... replacing batteries and battery cables in my '89 F150... this was June of last year...

And y'all likely saw my battery replacement thread. I was replacing everything from the battery to the starter that I thought may have been causing the problem... and that led be to break the starter solenoid (Starter Relay technically I recently learned). Took three replacements from AutoZone and an upgrade from Duralast Standard to Duralast Gold to get one that the plunger didn't hang up in and keep the starter engaged after the engine had started. You almost have to test every new part you buy anymore.

Anyway... thought I had it licked but the "heat soak" slow cranking without starting while hot persisted and was getting worse. Even on short trips of a couple miles the engine needed to cool.

So...I was at the parts store getting something... don't remember what... and when I went to leave... Crank but no start. Ether didn't even coax a cough or a sputter.

Did what I could without much by way of tools... but in the end a multimeter at AutoZone was a not that much cheaper than a tow and not nearly as nice as the one I already owned... so ignominiously towed out of the AutoZone parking lot and back to the house to be multimetered and test lighted and hopefully repaired.

No spark. Replaced the ignition coil on hunch. Bad hunch. No joy. No pulse from ICM to TACH side of the coil... just a bright, continuous 12v while cranking.

Back to the parts store for an ICM. Supposed to be removable with a 5.5 mm socket. NOPE. 5.5 mm THINWALL socket.

Back to the parts store for an Ignition Module Tool. A somewhat reasonable six bucks.

View attachment 628920

Got to turn the distributor to access the rear screw... so clean the base, mark it, loosen the bolt, turn it until the ICM touches the alternator bracket. I'll get a picture tomorrow, but this isn't an ordinary bracket... It's the granddaddy of all brackets. It holds the alternator and the smog pump and something else...a real chore to remove or even loosen.

The front screw is easy enough to remove, but I can't get on the rear screw because that silver knurled twisty part won't clear the thermostat housing.

Probably the easiest route is to drain the the radiator and remove the upper radiator hose and then the thermostat housing. Removing the distributor entirely or removing the bracket were other options... but I chose the option behind door number three.

View attachment 628919

WooHoo...now I can get on the screw head and remove the ICM by turning the half tool with an open end wrench.

Installed new ICM, realigned distributor and tightened her down...and presto... Truck starts and runs as close to like new as it did before... which is not very but good enough.

So... to make a long story even longer... I'm wondering if the ICM was causing the "heat soak" problem from the beginning... that it was failing slowly and when it got hot it was retarding the timing and causing the slow crank no start condition. Have to take it on a long drive, shut it off and see if it will start right back up.

Time will tell...

Anyhow...$50 for the tow, $42 for the coil, $45 for the ICM, $6 for the tool, roughly three hours of work, an hour of travel time total to and from the parts store three times and probably four hours of research to get her up and running.

Did I learn a lot? Absolutely. Diagnostics of electronics is likely my weakest area in mechanicing.

Did the satisfaction of getting her running again make up for the frustration and hours of research? You betcha! When the truck started I threw my arms up like Rocky topping the stairs at the Philadelphia Museum of art... Literally... That happened.

View attachment 628927

A good day...

It always feels good fixing a problem yourself. I had a comm problem in my Bonanza. On the ground everything checked out fine, all the cabling was good, but once I was airborne the radio would freak out.

I kept chasing the problem and then finally I figured out one of the mounting screws had broken inside the panel. No way to see it, and it only caused a problem under load.

Pulled the screw, replaced it, and voila! No more sound machine!

I had a '76' C10 350 that purred like a kitten... Just one issue and it was major... Terminal Cancer... Rust every where... Hell the ashtray bottom rusted out on that truck... It was a disaster just waiting to fall apart...
I loved that truck... Oh Yeah it had a chipmunk living in it for the longest time...

I had a '76' C10 350 that purred like a kitten... Just one issue and it was major... Terminal Cancer... Rust every where... Hell the ashtray bottom rusted out on that truck... It was a disaster just waiting to fall apart...
I loved that truck... Oh Yeah it had a chipmunk living in it for the longest time...
Ahh... That's a shame. You're part of the country is rough on vehicles that way.

For the longest time Missouri used mostly cinder on winter roads in lieu of salt. Helped to keep the rust levels down.

That said... This '74 is full of filler.

I had a car like that. The engine was great, in fact I still have it, but the body fell apart around it.

View attachment 628920

View attachment 628919

Time will tell...

View attachment 628927

A good day...
what is the engine?

Meh, just get one of those cheap plastic bed liners. That will hold it together for another half century or so.

As far as the ashtray goes... well... smoking isn't good for you anyways. :p

View attachment 628920

View attachment 628919

Time will tell...

View attachment 628927

A good day...

I am having the same problem with a 1990 F-150. So far I replaced the starter, solenoid and key switch and it still happens sporadically once the truck gets warmed up.

Btw, great use of 50¢ word "ignominiously."

Sounds like new ICM and perhaps tweaking the timing a bit solved the problem. I've had several Fords and it all sounds eerily familiar.. Fixed for now, but still not great.. Compression tested it lately?

Yep. Used to be bringing home the wrong part two or three times was the problem. Now the stuff's defective more often than not.
Sadly true. And the parts store guys and gals don't know anything anymore.

I called AutoZone and asked if they had a fuel pressure tester available... The guy asks me for the make and model of my vehicle (???). I'm like, that's weird...but maybe he's checking the test port diameter to make sure he has one that will fit.

Wishful thinking. He comes back Sorry sir, can't find that listed. I'm like Dude... It's a tool... not a part. SMH.

Gone are the days the parts guy (or gal) actual know about auto repair.

I am having the same problem with a 1990 F-150. So far I replaced the starter, solenoid and key switch and it still happens sporadically once the truck gets warmed up.
For as easy as the ICM was to remove...it wouldn't hurt to have it tested. My understanding is the ICM can be resistance tested with a multimeter (the instructions are in the Chilton manual)... and also the parts store can test them... with the caveat that the recommendation was of the machine says it is bad... have the parts person test a new one on the machine with the same set up to reduce the opportunity for operator error.

Honestly though, I can't tell you yet the heat soak issue is solved. I drove it to the store last night and back home, shut it off and immediately restarted it with no issues... but I'll know more in a week or so.

Sounds like new ICM and perhaps tweaking the timing a bit solved the problem. I've had several Fords and it all sounds eerily familiar.. Fixed for now, but still not great.. Compression tested it lately?
I've driven nothing but Ford pickups since I got it of the Army in 1992. This '89 is the newest one I've had... and now I'm going back the other way.

I've had nothing but good luck with this one. Other than the time squirrels chewed though my fuel line, this is only the second time it's been on the wrecker.

As for compression... I'm afraid to look. It definitely needs re-ringed and likely cylinder honing, new pistons, rods and main bearings at a minimum...and the costs at the machine shop for magnafluxing and resurfacing have skyrocketed. That means the old shade tree disassemble/reassemble and hope like heck the head gaskets seal. Putting that off for as long as possible.

View attachment 628920

View attachment 628919

Time will tell...

View attachment 628927

A good day...

I didnt see where you replaced the stator on the inside of the dist that the module plugs into,, hate to break it to you but usually thats what caused the problem with dried out and cracked insulation that causes a spark between leads,

they are not hard to replace after youve done dozens of them but are a pain in the ass if you havent and dont have the right puller,, which I do,,

I have seen them burn out the module in the first start and also work for days to weeks but at some point it will go bad again,,

Nah, if it ain't broke.. And those reliable old ones tended go and go.
costs at the machine shop for magnafluxing
No idea why that should be expensive. I did some of that at a metal testing place I worked for in some past life. Water sprayer, fluorescent green dye, black light, magnifying glass, magic marker. Simples.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back