Obama's right

Apocalypse? Aren't you perhaps overstating your case a little bit?

No, TK. I heard a very interesting news bit on this - I will try to find it and link it. But ISIS is essentially an Apocolyptic cult.

Edited to add: here's one link What ISIS Really Wants - The Atlantic

You were worried that Americans were pushing an apocalyptic narrative. "The west vs. Islam." ISIS is a death cult. Until members of the Islamic faith adequately distance themselves from it, that narrative will continue.

Not exactly. The way I see it - ISIS wants an apocolypse. Their actions - ever increasing atrocities (beheading and killing Americans, etc) is designed to draw us in to direct action against them to fulfill that narrative. Once we are drawn in, we risk giving them control of the narrative and turning it into Islam vs The West. Islam is distancing themselves from ISIS and have been for some time, but those countries need to take decisive military steps as well as religious steps. They are doing so increasingly.

So, you suggest that we let them behead our citizens without defending them? Jordan and Egypt didn't blink twice before bombing the snot out of their so called capital. So if we care about our people, the narrative be damned, it is time to defend the honor of our citizens.

I think that Muslim countries MUST take the lead. Our role should be supporting. I think tha tis the only way to win in the long run.

By the way - don't you think it's about time Egypt and Jordan and hopefully other countries there stepped up to the plate?

Yes them taking the lead has done wonders so far..

Then again the entire Jordan army is 60,000 strong, is that enough?

There are two countries with enough military assets to combat ISIS and one country is bent on taking Ukraine, the other is led by a weak leader.

So you want to arm all these Muslim countries?

No, TK. I heard a very interesting news bit on this - I will try to find it and link it. But ISIS is essentially an Apocolyptic cult.

You were worried that Americans were pushing an apocalyptic narrative. "The west vs. Islam." ISIS is a death cult. Until members of the Islamic faith adequately distance themselves from it, that narrative will continue.

Not exactly. The way I see it - ISIS wants an apocolypse. Their actions - ever increasing atrocities (beheading and killing Americans, etc) is designed to draw us in to direct action against them to fulfill that narrative. Once we are drawn in, we risk giving them control of the narrative and turning it into Islam vs The West. Islam is distancing themselves from ISIS and have been for some time, but those countries need to take decisive military steps as well as religious steps. They are doing so increasingly.

So, you suggest that we let them behead our citizens without defending them? Jordan and Egypt didn't blink twice before bombing the snot out of their so called capital. So if we care about our people, the narrative be damned, it is time to defend the honor of our citizens.

I think that Muslim countries MUST take the lead. Our role should be supporting. I think tha tis the only way to win in the long run.

By the way - don't you think it's about time Egypt and Jordan and hopefully other countries there stepped up to the plate?

There are two countries with enough military assets to combat ISIS and one country is bent on taking Ukraine, the other is led by a weak leader.

I think if the ME countries cooperated they'd have enough military assets to take on ISIS. We would provide support.

I am wading thru that article now. I think it says ISIS is far more than a cult. It's the real deal...old time muslim zealots...that have to be dealt with. To say as obama says they are not muslim is absurd.

I think if the ME countries cooperated they'd have enough military assets to take on ISIS. We would provide support.

When someone kills your own citizens, you don't sit there and worry about semantics. We have the most powerful military on the planet, and we are worried about offending someone. We should tell families like the one of Kayla Mueller that we will avenge the death of their loved ones with no fear of how Muslims will react.

Are you going to answer my question or not?

It also doesn't help that members of their faith killed 3000 people. It has a pretty bad rap as it stands. That stigma needs to be removed, not by us, but by them. However, right now, we are at war with Islam.

The problem isn't Islam. It's extremism. There have been many that speak up against it but they are ignored every time. We are not at war with Islam because we ARE Islam. We ARE Christian. We ARE every religion on earth. We are American.

It's Islamic Extremism. You can sit there and think members of Islam aren't involved. They are. Just look at their name. Islamic State In Syria/Libya. They kill in the name of Islam, not any other faith. I mean if you can link the Crusaders killing in the name of Christianity, then it's easy to say that ISIS is doing this in the name of Islam. Plain and simple.

I am wading thru that article now. I think it says ISIS is far more than a cult. It's the real deal...old time muslim zealots...that have to be dealt with. To say as obama says they are not muslim is absurd.

They are about as Muslim as the LRA is Christian.

It also doesn't help that members of their faith killed 3000 people. It has a pretty bad rap as it stands. That stigma needs to be removed, not by us, but by them. However, right now, we are at war with Islam.

The problem isn't Islam. It's extremism. There have been many that speak up against it but they are ignored every time. We are not at war with Islam because we ARE Islam. We ARE Christian. We ARE every religion on earth. We are American.

It's Islamic Extremism. You can sit there and think members of Islam aren't involved. They are. Just look at their name. Islamic State In Syria/Libya. They kill in the name of Islam, not any other faith. I mean if you can link the Crusaders killing in the name of Christianity, then it's easy to say that ISIS is doing this in the name of Islam. Plain and simple.

North Korea is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Is it Democratic?

Is the LRA Christian?

Is the LRA Christian?

Is this false equivalency? Or a red herring?

You must be joking.

Is the LRA Christian?

Is this false equivalency? Or a red herring?

You tell me. The LRA is an extremist cult responsible for thousands of deaths, brutal rapes of women and children, in the Congo and Uganda.

But, that is really a side show. ISIS is an extremist cult. Do we agree on that?

You must be joking.

Given the huge number of Muslims repudiating the actions of ISIS, and being killed by ISIS, no. I'm not joking :)

We are American.

Then lets act like Americans and go kick their asses. Let's not sit by while our citizens are killed by barbarians.

I disagree. We don't need to send our soldiers over there to get killed and play into ISIS game plan.

They started it. If you're walking down the sidewalk with a friend and he gets ambushed by a couple of thugs, do you stand there and watch it or do something about it? We must act in defense of our citizens. I absolutely cannot stand pacifism, it leads to more death than war does in and of itself. Carter pulled this crap and Iranians held a plane full of American hostages for 456 days, until Reagan was elected. They were released immediately.

You must be joking.

Given the huge number of Muslims repudiating the actions of ISIS, and being killed by ISIS, no. I'm not joking :)

There are a billion Muslims on the planet, just how many of that billion are repudiating these acts of barbarity? I would gather it is a minority, not a majority, unless you can prove otherwise.

ISIS is an extremist cult. Do we agree on that?

They are Islamic Extremists, just as the KKK are extremist Christians. Every religion has their fringes, the must be attributed to that respective religion.

Ok. I can agree with that.

But do you think we should be in the forefront of any action against ISIS?

So, Templar, would you condone hating and killing fundementalist Christians because that is what makes up most of the KKK? Even though it is a very small percentage of those fundementalists.

We need to do all we can to exterminate ISIS, but they are not representative of the whole of the Muslim community.

Forum List

Back