NYT introduces us to couple Romney didn’t try to kill with cancer

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
:lol:hey the title is a hoot imho, but in the present environment, a gimme.

hats off to the Times, yes, the NY Times

And yes, my hypocrisy meter has pinned....:badgrin:

anyway, romney did some folks a good turn, credit to them to giving it a place in their newspaper.

In Real Estate Deal, Romney Made His Loss a Couple’s Gain

Published: August 9, 2012

MISSOURI CITY, Tex. — Look closely and it is there, sandwiched between Goldman Sachs Hedge Fund Partners II and D3 Family Bulldog Fund: the mortgage on Timothy and Betty Stamps’s modest home on Gentle Bend Drive here.

Nearly lost among the blizzard of hedge funds, thoroughbred horses and other gold-plated investments in Mitt Romney’s personal financial disclosures, the interest from the $50,500 mortgage is loose change to Mr. Romney, whose net worth has been estimated at close to a quarter-billion dollars.

Yet for the Stampses, who have been writing $600 monthly checks to “Willard M. Romney” for 15 years, the money they borrowed from him to buy their home in 1997 was life-changing…

When Mr. Stamps took the call from Mr. Romney, he and his wife, a nurse, had all but given up hope of being able to buy the house they had been renting for five years. Mr. Romney told him it looked like the couple had been taking good care of the property and that “we would be good people to buy it,” said Mr. Stamps. Mr. Stamps said he never heard from Mr. Romney again, and only became aware of who he was when he started running for president four years ago.

“His name came up somewhere,” he said, “and my wife and I said to each other, ‘That’s the guy we bought our house from!’ ”

snip-

The result was a rare Romney flop: The housing market soon collapsed, and he was stuck renting out the houses for years before unloading them, mostly at a loss, in the late 1990s, according to property records. The renters were offered the first chance to buy, but the Stampses could not qualify for a mortgage, recalled Mr. Stamps, who at the time had recently lost his job at an oil company.

“Then I got this phone call, personally, from Mr. Romney, asking if we really wanted to buy the house,” Mr. Stamps, 63, said in an interview the other day at the barbershop he now runs. “I said, yes we did. And he said he would loan us the money. He really helped us when we needed it.”

more at-
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/10/u...is-loss-a-couples-gain.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1

hat tip
http://hotair.com/archives/2012/08/...-couple-romney-didnt-try-to-kill-with-cancer/

Just an ordinary work day, Romney returns a call back to some people who needed money for a loan, he cuts through the red tape, and personally grants and backs it.

I don't think the cancer body-snatcher scenario is any but a set-up.

Ya gotta admit, the Obama Campaign's friends are swinging mighty low to build a falsetto scenario against a good, involved businessman running for President.

Too bad. This could have been a clean campaign. Now it's one filled with false allegations, rumors, and innuendos against someone like Mitt Romney.

Forum List

Back