NYT: How California’s Bullet Train Went Off the Rails

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Everything Democrats touch they destroy.

Although it comes more than a half century after Asia and Europe were running successful high-speed rail systems, the bullet train project when it was first proposed in the 1980s was new to America*, larger than any single transportation project before it and more costly than even the nation’s biggest state could finance in one step.

The state was warned repeatedly that its plans were too complex. SNCF, the French national railroad, was among bullet train operators from Europe and Japan that came to California in the early 2000s with hopes of getting a contract to help develop the system.

The company’s recommendations for a direct route out of Los Angeles and a focus on moving people between Los Angeles and San Francisco were cast aside, said Dan McNamara, a career project manager for SNCF.‌

The company‌ ‌pulled out in 2011.

“There were so many things that went wrong,” Mr. McNamara said. “SNCF was very angry. They told the state they were leaving for North Africa, which was less politically dysfunctional. They went to Morocco and helped them build a rail system.”

Morocco’s bullet train started service in 2018.

Not one foot of track has been laid. Every dime has been spent on administrative costs. Admit that the entire purpose of the train was to create and administer a piggy bank of taxpayer funds that politicians can go to to fund funnies.

Give it up. End the program.

The NYT has a paywall, which I sure as hell won't pay, so I couldn't read their expose. But my guess in large part was due to CA's unionizations laws that probably require highly paid union employees to build the transit system that made it economically a disaster. I know nothing about how other countries did it, but I'm guessing most of the labor and materials were far cheaper there than what was needed here so that too many people could get rich off the gov'ts dime. And BTW it was primarily greed on the part of the democrat donors and supporters.

Not one foot of track has been laid. Every dime has been spent on administrative costs. Admit that the entire purpose of the train was to create and administer a piggy bank of taxpayer funds that politicians can go to to fund funnies.

Give it up. End the program.
Like the ChiCom flu mystery substance they insist you inject into your body every month, there’s a lot of wealth to be made.

Forum List

Back